Povoinik Pattern Anyone?

  • lynx@citynet.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6 11:23 AM
      > I may be spelling it wrong but this is the married womans headdress. I have
      been looking and am finding a few pictures but no patterns and I thought maybe
      someone here would have one?

      In the dark with my head uncovered...lol
      Marija
    • Lente
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7 5:05 PM
        Okay since the people who really know more about this subject might be at
        Pensic, check these sites out.

        http://slavic.freeservers.com/ this is the main page for the Slavic Interest
        Group site

        http://medievalrussia.freeservers.com/dress-female.html okay after much
        searching this page might have a link to what your talking about, it has
        hats at least. Go down to the section of external links to find them.

        http://users.bigpond.net.au/quarfwa/miklagard/Costume/Rus/Female/Rus_Female_main.htm A
        lovely photo of a woman modeling a female Rus' outfit. She is wearing a
        rubakha (shirt) with a blue plaid panova (also called a paneva). (this is a
        different link than is one the page above but I believe this is the picture
        its talking about)

        http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/trmain/tr1main.html Rus' temple
        rings article (I don't know if this one is on the russia dress page but it
        should be.)

        http://www.caerthe.org/TheWardrobe/kokoshnik.html I don't think this is in
        the russian dress page but here it is.

        http://www.ic.omskreg.ru/~folklore/mk/golovn/index_.shtml article with
        drawing of various russian headdresses.

        I did a search on kokshnik and found these sites; some look like they are
        selling them but the pictures may give some more idea on how you want yours
        to look like.
        http://www.therussianshop.com/russhop/clothing/kokoshnik.htm
        http://ruswinter.50megs.com/clothes1.html
        http://www.sunbirds.com/lacquer/readings/1132 russian fairytales and stuff

        got to go boy chick's crying something fierce...
        Kathws

        > > I may be spelling it wrong but this is the married womans headdress. I
        have
        > been looking and am finding a few pictures but no patterns and I thought
        maybe
        > someone here would have one?
        >
        > In the dark with my head uncovered...lol
        > Marija
      • Marilyn Kinyon
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8 5:49 PM
          Thank You, some of these sites I had not found and they are great. It
          is still looking like no one really has firm ideas about patterns
          though. But some these pictures show do give me more to go on. Thanks
          so Much..
        • Ben McGarr
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 9 7:02 PM
            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Marilyn Kinyon" <lynx@c...> wrote:
            > Thank You, some of these sites I had not found and they are great.
            It
            > is still looking like no one really has firm ideas about patterns
            > though. But some these pictures show do give me more to go on.
            Thanks
            > so Much..

            Dear Marilyn,
            I can't say I'm very into patterns for clothesmaking, but I was given
            an ENORMOUS encyclopaedia of Russian folk culture by my Girlfriend
            for my last birthday, so you prompted me into checking out what it
            had to say about povoiniki.

            THere's a big fat entry on their use [always to be worn under some
            other form of headress, except in the early twentieth century when a
            ttrend developed for wearing them separately] and social context and
            some drawings of different kinds from different provinces but no
            patterns I'm afraid. Still, if you're interested I can always scan
            the pictures for you. Can you read Russian?

            The book has millions of patterns for the more complex clothing of
            the Russkiy Krestyanin so if anyone wants a pic of any other costume
            I'd be happy to help. I wouldn't like to set a precedent in
            translating huge reams of text, but I could do that on the povoinik
            if you like.

            Benchik
          • Lisa Kies
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 10 9:48 AM
              X-JumpGate Networks Webmail - Mason City, Iowa: Originating-IP

              I have seen two basic patterns for the povoinik. The simplest is a circle of
              fabric gathered onto a narrow fabric band that goes around the forehead to the
              back of the neck where it is tied. This works quite nicely with a mesh "knit"
              fabric substituted for the circle. (This mesh style is called the voloshnik).

              Another version I've seen requires 3 pieces of fabric. An oval piece to cover
              the top of the head, a narrow band attached to the edge of the oval piece to go
              horizontally around to the back of the head, plus a half-circle to hang down
              from the back of the narrow band and gathered at its edge to control the hair
              at the back of the neck.

              http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWChead.html
              http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/examples.html

              I'm sorry I don't have pattern sketches for you. Good luck.

              In service,
              Sofya la Rus

              ***> JumpGate Networks - Mason City, Iowa <***
              ***> Voice: 641-424-5307 Fax: 641-424-5346 <***
              ***> www.jumpgate.net <***
            • Lente
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 10 10:09 AM
                I think this is the book I'm thinking of (if I remember the title sort of
                right); this show some black and white photos of some of the headresses, I
                like that fact that it shows several of the pearl drapes too, in fact one of
                them is not pearls but cut mother of pearl shell beads. check at you library
                for it. I just put a hold on my public library copy of this one and another
                of russian stuff so I will post a picture to the list files of the
                headresses and drapes I remember being in it.--kathws

                Embroidery of all Russia / by Mary Gostelow ;
                line ill. and designs drawn and executed by the author, maps by John E.
                Damsell.
                New York : Scribner, c1977. isbn 0684151847

                Subject: Re: [sig] Re: Povoinik Pattern Anyone?