Re: The Far Western Slavyane

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 6, 2004
      Rick writes...

      > There was only one rather strange
      > assertion... [snip]... that the lands
      > that had been german were (nearly)
      > deserted, before the slavs moved in.

      I think the point is that they had already been scoured by various other
      migrating tribes beforehand, meaning that settled (let alone semi-urbanised)
      life would have been extremely difficult.

      Certainly in Bohemia the Migration Period is an archaeological nightmare,
      with the disappearance of earlier material and then a whole jumble of
      not-easily-distinguishable stuff, and some semblance of order only coming
      with the arrival *and settlement* of the Slavs.

      Alastair

      Alastair Millar BSc (Hons) - http://www.skriptorium.info
      Translation & Consultancy for the Heritage Industry
      P.O. Box 11, CZ 413 01 Roudnice, Czech Republic
      Tel.: +420.607.993.041, Fax.: +420.416.832.090
    • Ben McGarr
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 9, 2004
        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Alastair Millar" <alastair@i...> wrote:
        > Well I'd use a good Czech "ahoj" but I probably wouldn't be able to
        resist
        > adding "sailor" to the end...

        Well don't mind me! Would that be moryak in Czeski then? We have a
        very funny word in Russkiy, matros. Apparently it's through German
        from French Matelot from an original Dutch maat-genoot, or 'mess-
        mate', comrade, bloke you eat with.

        > Good point! Never given it much thought previously.
        > But to play devil's advocate... how many of those were applied to
        the groups
        > BY THEMSELVES, and how many were applied to them from outside?

        Which outside? Germans wrote them down, but they're not German, nor
        are they some kind of scholarly Latin creation. The suffices are
        obviously Slavonic. Why would a German invader care to find out what
        the Poles and Czechs call the Wendish subunits? They'd all just be
        Wends to him anyway. They must be local names. Maybe they were
        applied by members of one unit to another, but that's very normal for
        ethnonyms. Most Welsh are quite happy to use this Germanic adjective
        to describe themselves.

        And, Helmond knew their language, and even saw fit to elaborate on
        how some groups had second names, or entered into broader overgroups,
        and he even tried to etymologise some. Wouldn't he have said if the
        names in general use were in some way incorrect, or at least had
        alternatives?

        Anyway, we were talking about geographic distribution, and I argued
        for the use of watersheds [and other geographical boundaries] as some
        kind of vague guide, so if a tribe is named after [or even named] the
        river then what does it matter if this name is external or not?

        >And how many
        > are *back* formations, where the river has taken its name from the
        people?

        The Odra and the Elbe at least already bore those names when the
        Germanics were sstill living there in Ptolemy's day, and I bet a fair
        few other streams have Germanic names. Dolenitsa at least looks
        Slavonic, but I'd bet 10 Rubles on the majority predating Adventus
        Sclavonum.

        > Albatross more like... appearing round the neck in the millstone
        tradition

        I made a joke about this the first time I tried to reply, butchering
        a few lines of Coleridge's finest. However, I have thought better of
        it and repent. "Wends, Wends everywhere, and not a drop to ....

        > Or Srby, depending where they are.

        Nu, da. But we're not talking about the Balkans.

        > Nope. I tend to be quite skeptical about things like this because
        (a) we
        > aren't sure just WHEN the word came into use, and (b) linguistics
        is a very
        > very easy place for amateurs to come unstuck through seeing false
        > connections and incorrect roots.

        We have the Byzantine Imperator/Historian's first witness of the
        word, and I wouldn't call Trubachev, Fasmer, Ilinskiy or Schuster-
        S<ews amateurs. With sound phonological understanding such
        hypothesising is valid, and, what's more, the people demand it.

        > Well, to put it another way: why do we NEED a more distinct
        terminology than
        > the triple (linguistics-based) division of the Slavs into Western,
        Southern
        > and Eastern, which is nevertheless less specific than particular
        tribal

        Is the period under discussion 600 - 900+ too early to suppose any
        divergence in speech? No. Do the Polaby-Obodrichy-Serby display a
        broad linguistic unity amongst themselves vis a vis Polska and
        Czeska? I believe so, though am open to argument here. I would
        specifically like to compare what was written by Johannes Schultze
        near Hannover in the Eighteenth Century, and modern Luzhitski.
        Having heard nothing to the contrary about the unity of the group,
        and having seen entries of its language in my Russian dictionary, I
        say they need a term to distinguish them.

        Anyway, outside of linguistics, we're dealing wiht a group of groups
        that had the same historical fate. Look at the chimaera that is the
        Scottish 'nation'. A right ethnosociolinguistic hodgepodge, but
        there is this element of common historical fate.

        > names? If we apply a single term (like "Polabian Slav" we are
        immediately
        > implying social and/or cultural affiliations that *uniquely* apply
        to the
        > people so grouped... and can we really justify this?

        I'd say that anyone with half an ounce of intellectual discernment
        [and I suspect anyone who has seen fit to join this Group falls into
        this category!] would see that such is not the intended implication.

        > The Luchans were a minor tribe believed to have occupied a small
        area of
        > what is now West Bohemia. They are mentioned in the early
        chronicles, solely
        > because the "real" Czechs beat them in a war.

        Where exactly were they? Can you say anything as to their name? I
        see the Sedlichane, Litomerzhitsy and Dechane, among others are named
        after their home territory.

        > no further than to say that they were reasonably closely related -
        > linguistically! - to the Poles and the Czechs. And let's not forget
        that the
        > Sorbs themselves are subdivisible.

        There must be rough indices of lexical correspondence and
        intelligibility [very high between almost all Slovene, but surely at
        different rates between different groups] to determine their relative
        distance from other Western Slavs.

        > Personally, I'd see the use "the Slavs" in your original statement
        as
        > suggesting something else, but I can be a pedantic so-and-so ;-)

        Bringing out the pedant in me; we often use the definite article when
        dealing with ethnic matters. The Spanish, or the French are sets of
        people differing far more widely by language and culture and
        anthropology than the Wends ever did, yet we happily employ the 'the'
        here. To escape the criticism that these have long political
        traditions, I often say 'the Finns' when discussing humans living
        from anywhere between Norway and the Urals. There's no question of
        there ever having been any cohesion between the Livs and the Komi,
        but we say the Finns all the same.

        > > Does it link in with the supposed greater
        > > antiquity of such names as Khorvaty, Serby
        >
        > I didn't know these names were of supposedly greater antiquity?
        What is the
        > evidence for this?

        There are morphological reasons, but perhaps more tellingly, each
        name here is recorded for at least two [and possibly all] out of the
        three main zones of Slavdom. The names therefore predate the
        migrations. Croats for instance were found independently in the
        Sudeten, Illyria, and the Volyn.

        > > and Dudlebi?
        >
        > Never heard of this one.Who/what is it?

        Likewise a tribal name encountered in areas very far apart. One set -
        Dudleb - by the Dnestr, another [which I'm surprised a man who knows
        the Luchane hasn't heard of] lived in the extreme south of your
        Chekhiya.

        There's supposedly a consensus on a Germanic origin for the name.
        *daud-laiba [nasledstvo umershego] being one reconstruction. Gothic
        is even supposed.

        > r. (This hook is correctly called a hac'ek in English - according to
        > Chambers). Przemyslid is a horrible early/mid-20th century attempt
        to be
        > cosmopolitan, and is very much avoided by translators today.

        Influence of Polish orthography? Lots of people can't do haceks on
        their computers. I always find diacritics a real pain in the
        zadnitsa myself - I'm always having to switch encoding. I've got
        used to the fact that O-umlaut is a Cyrillic Ts, and the E Acute
        shows up as a Russkiy I-igrik.

        S nailuchshimi pozhelaniyami,
        Ben
      • Alastair Millar
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 11, 2004
          Ben writes:

          > Would that be moryak in Czeski then?

          (a) no, it would usually be namor'nik (lit. 'one who is on the sea/ocean').
          Alternatives might under certain circumstances include lodnik (lit. 'one on
          a boat'), marin'ak (slang, lit. 'mariner'), or plavec (river sailor, lit.
          'one who floats/swims').
          (b) what is Czeski? In English the language is called Czech... and in Czech
          we
          call it c'esky jayzk informally or c'es'tina more correctly.

          > Which outside?

          Well we have convincing evidence for Germans, Jews, Arabs and Byzantine
          Greeks in period. Later scholars have certainly applied names as well,
          however.

          > The suffices are obviously Slavonic.

          To take Polabian, the -ian suffix is most certainly not Slavonic. It's not
          related to the Slavonic -an or -c'an.

          > Why would a German invader care to find out what
          > the Poles and Czechs call the Wendish subunits? They'd all
          > just be Wends to him anyway. They must be local names.

          But that was my point. You were the one suggesting we need other 'group'
          names for collections of tribes; personally, I don't agree that geographic
          location should be the defining factor. This is not a subject I wish to
          debate any further: accept that we are not going to agree on this, please.

          > and I bet a fair few other streams have Germanic names.

          And many others, like the Ohr'e in Bohemia (known to the Germans as the
          Eger) are Celtic.

          > Nu, da.

          "Nuda" in Czech means "boredom"! :-(

          > But we're not talking about the Balkans.

          Aren't we?

          > We have the Byzantine Imperator/Historian's
          > first witness of the word,

          Ouch. We also have a Byzantine Emperor's word for "Great Moravia", which
          could have meant something very general indeed according to recent research.
          Who says the Byzantine Emperor was working from primary sources or direct
          knowledge?

          > With sound phonological understanding such
          > hypothesising is valid, and, what's more, the people
          > demand it.

          Well I agree, but the fact is that most people who try it are NOT experts,
          so unless I see a convincing reference cited I default to natural/healthy
          scepticism.

          > Is the period under discussion 600 - 900+ too
          > early to suppose any divergence in speech? No.

          Agreed.

          > Do the Polaby-Obodrichy-Serby display a
          > broad linguistic unity amongst themselves vis a vis
          > Polska and Czeska? I believe so, though am
          > open to argument here.

          I have no idea about the language of the Obdorites. Both flavours of
          Sorbian, however, are *extremely* close to Czech and Polish. (I have read
          Sorbian texts that are a lot closer to Czech than Slovak is, for instance).

          You don't seem to have taken on board my earlier reference to Zaroff,
          though - the Obdorites are a division of the 'Polabians' (a group defined
          geographically and not necessarily culturally/linguistically), and the
          latter are therefore not a separate tribe.

          Where is this place called Czeska by the way? I assume you mean Bohemia,
          known to the Czechs as C'echy. The Czech word "C'esko" (English translation:
          Czechia) is a 1992 invention designed to abbreviate "C'eska republika"
          (Czech Republic, i.e. Bohemia, Moravia and part of Silesia), and should not
          therefore be applied when referring to any historical region.

          > Having heard nothing to the contrary about the
          > unity of the group, and having seen entries of its
          > language in my Russian dictionary, I
          > say they need a term to distinguish them.

          They have one: "Polabian Slavs".

          > Anyway, outside of linguistics, we're dealing
          > wiht a group of groups that had the same
          > historical fate.

          I think that modern Sorbs would disagree with you there: they still exist,
          for a start.

          > I'd say that anyone with half an ounce of intellectual
          > discernment [and I suspect anyone who has seen fit
          > to join this Group falls into this category!] would see
          > that such is not the intended implication.

          I shall pretend not to be offended by that statement.

          > Where exactly were they? Can you say anything as
          > to their name?

          They were allegedly around what is now the town of Z'atec in West Bohemia.
          Previously this area, now called Z'atecko, was known as Lucko. A Luc'an is
          one from Lucko.

          For those with a further interest, I am proposing to submit a retelling of
          the story of the war of the Czechs and Luc'ans for Slovo.

          > I see the Sedlichane, Litomerzhitsy and Dechane, among others
          > are named after their home territory.

          (a) If you wish to be understood, you will have to stop making up spellings.
          (b) To take these in order:
          - the Sedlc'ane are "those living in farmstead families"
          - the second are correctly the L'utmirici, "the people of L'utomir"
          - the third are "the people of De'ka".

          These are CLAN names, not tribal names: there is no evidence that their
          language differed.

          In all three cases, the clan names gave rise to the place names (presumably
          clan centres - Sedlc'any, Litome'r'ice and De'c'in respectively), and not
          the other way around.

          Considering the baptism of the 14 Bohemian princes at Regensburg in 845 and
          that the 9th century Geographus Bavarus states that the Czechs (Bohemians)
          had 15 strongholds (civitates), it is interesting that these are considered
          a SINGLE people, distinct from, for example, the Moravians and Poles. This
          too implies that in Bohemia we are dealing with clan and not tribal names.
          This is an essential distinction.

          > There must be rough indices of lexical correspondence
          > and intelligibility

          I am sure that there are. We have to keep linguists off the streets
          somehow...

          > [very high between almost all Slovene,

          I assume you mean Slavs here. Slovenes are distinct group in their own
          right - their modern capital is Ljubljana.

          > Bringing out the pedant in me; we often use the
          > definite article when dealing with ethnic matters.

          Define "we", please. And don't bother trying to lecture me on English usage.

          >>> Does it link in with the supposed greater
          >>> antiquity of such names as Khorvaty, Serby
          >>
          >> I didn't know these names were of supposedly
          >> greater antiquity? What is the evidence for this?
          >
          > There are morphological reasons,

          Well disregarding your invention of Khorvat for what everyone refers to as
          Croats (or Charvats or Chorvats), this seems rather weak.

          > but perhaps more tellingly, each name here is
          > recorded for at least two [and possibly all] out of the
          > three main zones of Slavdom. The names therefore
          > predate the migrations.

          Er no, because AFAIK there is no evidence for them in the written sources of
          the
          pre-immigration period. We have no evidence that they were indeed applied IN
          PERIOD, however universal their application now.

          > Croats for instance were found independently in the
          > Sudeten, Illyria, and the Volyn.

          The Sudetenland (if you wish to offend people) or the Sudety. "The Sudeten"
          doesn't make sense. Also, I believe that you are not quite correct here:
          Croats/Charvats are said to have occupied an area in what is now north-EAST
          Bohemia,
          just beyond the Sudetenland as usually defined, and away from the Sudety.
          Charvat is still a common Czech surname.

          >>> and Dudlebi?
          >>>
          >> Never heard of this one.Who/what is it?
          >
          > Likewise a tribal name [snip]
          > [which I'm surprised a man who knows
          > the Luchane hasn't heard of] lived in the
          > extreme south of your Chekhiya.

          Czechia is an artificial term coined in 1992 to refer to the Czech Republic
          as a country (see above). Chekhiya is, I believe, a part of what is
          generally called Chechyna.

          Further, I have never claimed to possess encylopedic, or even complete,
          information; I do however heartily endorse the cornerstone of the SIG, which
          is to share what we know. I am quite happy to discuss anything provided that
          we agree at the outset that there are at least two points of view, neither
          of which need necessarily be correct.

          > There's supposedly a consensus on a Germanic origin
          > for the name. *daud-laiba [nasledstvo umershego]
          > being one reconstruction. Gothic
          > is even supposed.

          Er, but one set was by the Dnestr? So why a Germanic origin, given your
          earlier comments about the unlikelihood of German names being adopted into
          Slavonic?

          Anyway, having done a little digging, I have come up with Doudleby in South
          Bohemia, which I assume is the place you are talking about. My trusty
          'Zeme'pisna jmena v Cechach, na Morave' a ve Slezsku' ("Placenames in
          Bohemia, Moravia & Silesia", by I. Lutterer & R. S'ramek, publ. TOBIAS,
          Havlic'kuv Brod, 2004, ISBN 80-7311-025-3) notes that there is considerable
          disagreement over the origin of the name.

          Some authors see a link to a tribe known as the Dulebi or Dudlebi - with Al
          Masudi suggesting Dulabe (!) in the 10th cent. - supposedly present in
          Carinthia, Pannonia and Volynia as well as Bohemia. There is, and I quote,
          "a rich literature on the origin of this tribal name, opinions thus far at
          variance".

          One suggestion is indeed a root in the west German Deudo- ('people, tribe,
          land') and -laifs ('remnant, inheritance'), despite (quoting again) "its
          weakness being the assumption that it must have been adopted from the
          Germanic name into Slavonic prior to the shift in the Old High German
          consonant, i.e. before 600 AD".

          Others, perhaps not surprisingly, see a stronger connection to the common
          Slavonic duda-, meaning reed or (pan) pipe...

          >> Przemyslid is a horrible early/mid-20th century attempt
          >> to be cosmopolitan, and is very much avoided by
          >> translators today.
          >
          > Influence of Polish orthography?

          Possibly. But now archaic if not positively obsolete for use in Czech.
          Anyway, if a reader doesn't know how to pronounce r', how likely are they to
          know the correct pronunciation of a Polish rz (which is not the same sound
          anyway)?

          > Lots of people can't do haceks on their computers.

          No kidding? You will probably have noticed that due to the inability of
          e-mail to handle full 8-bit characters, I usually adopt the US Dept. of
          Defense (sic) standard, which is to indicate letters with a hac'ek by the
          use of an apostrophe after that letter, and to skip the other accents. This
          is the standard adopted on professional mailing lists for translators, for
          example (one of the more successful of which for Czech I happen to run).

          > S nailuchshimi pozhelaniyami,

          S pozdravem, snad

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 11, 2004
            Zdrave Alastair!

            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Alastair Millar" <alastair@i...> wrote:
            > (a) no, it would usually be namor'nik (lit. 'one who is on the
            sea/ocean').

            A funny abstract idea for the landlocked Czechs! I wonder do they
            make good sailors? Joseph Conrad seemed to manage it despite being
            born in Galich. And there's that Sorb polyarnik [polar explorer]
            Leichhardt.

            > (b) what is Czeski? In English the language is called Czech... and
            in Czech
            > we
            > call it c'esky jayzk informally or c'es'tina more correctly.

            Manc'estersky dialekt Vseslavjanskistic'eskogo yazyka, sorry!

            > > Which outside?
            >
            > Well we have convincing evidence for Germans, Jews, Arabs and
            Byzantine
            > Greeks in period.

            I doubt the latter three would have had much influence on the Germans
            who recorded the majority of the tribal names of this region known to
            us. What's the Jewish source if you please? I hadn't heard of this
            before.

            > > The suffices are obviously Slavonic.
            > To take Polabian, the -ian suffix is most certainly not Slavonic.
            It's not
            > related to the Slavonic -an or -c'an.

            Of course not, it's a modern word, originating in Anglophone media.
            Germans would say Polaben, the Russkies Polaby, and the fellows
            themselves - well, only Triglav knows! But it can't have been that
            far from the Russkiy. The root is Polab and the prefix and the
            metathesis of the River name are Very Slavonic.

            > > Why would a German invader care to find out what
            > > the Poles and Czechs call the Wendish subunits? They'd all
            > > just be Wends to him anyway. They must be local names.
            >
            > But that was my point.

            But he does care what the Wends themselves called them. Such
            knowledge would be vital for the interpretation of Intelligence by
            the Margraves in the face of possible uprisings, or in dealings with
            the Slavonic elites.

            >You were the one suggesting we need other 'group'
            > names for collections of tribes; personally, I don't agree that
            geographic
            > location should be the defining factor. This is not a subject I
            wish to
            > debate any further: accept that we are not going to agree on this,
            please.

            Alright, but I'm just chatting, I have no real axe to grind for the
            sake of these dead foreigners. >;o)

            > > and I bet a fair few other streams have Germanic names.
            > And many others, like the Ohr'e in Bohemia (known to the Germans as
            the
            > Eger) are Celtic.

            Marvellous! Any details on that and any others? I'm Three Eighths
            Bogtrotter myself, the remaining Five doubtless containing much
            residual Briton, so I like to cast a winsome eye over our Celtic
            Kin's former lands!

            > "Nuda" in Czech means "boredom"! :-(

            Nice. Is it some kind of slang? Looks like some kind of borrowing
            from Romance. Ennui, nudity, words not often seen in the same
            sentence...

            > > We have the Byzantine Imperator/Historian's
            > > first witness of the word,
            >
            > Ouch. We also have a Byzantine Emperor's word for "Great Moravia",
            which
            > could have meant something very general indeed according to recent
            research.
            > Who says the Byzantine Emperor was working from primary sources or
            direct
            > knowledge?

            Conscientious chap though, heart in the right place, with an Empire's
            resources at his academic disposal [enviable position!] and probably
            sensitive to criticism from those in the know, and wishing to prove
            himself a capable man of affairs. Be thankful he wrote anything at
            all!

            > > With sound phonological understanding such
            > > hypothesising is valid, and, what's more, the people
            > > demand it.
            > Well I agree, but the fact is that most people who try it are NOT
            experts,
            > so unless I see a convincing reference cited I default to
            natural/healthy
            > scepticism.

            Schuster-S'ewc H. 1985 Zur Geschichte und Etymologie des
            ethnischen Namens Sorb / Serb / Sarb / Srb. Zeitschrift Slawistik
            Bd.30, H6 S. 851-856.

            > I have no idea about the language of the Obdorites. Both flavours of
            > Sorbian, however, are *extremely* close to Czech and Polish. (I
            have read
            > Sorbian texts that are a lot closer to Czech than Slovak is, for
            instance).

            This is what I'm after. If only you had access to some older Polab
            stuff to compare.

            You know, I've noticed a peculiar thing out in Russia, and maybe you
            have in That Place You Live In Which I Daren't Now Attempt To Spell.
            As an outsider I can look at familiar Russian and compare it with
            what I hear now and then of Polish [like today in that film 'Three
            Colours; White'] or SerboCroat [in that Bosnian War film with the
            bouncing mine] and be amazed at how similar still they all are, apart
            from accent and a few phrases; and YET, Russians themselves will
            obstinately insist they are not understanding any of it! I know I'm
            being very superficial in my PanSlavic fervour but the Russians do
            often act like that. Maybe it's a feature of Former Dominant
            Nationalities?

            > You don't seem to have taken on board my earlier reference to
            Zaroff,
            > though - the Obdorites are a division of the 'Polabians' (a group
            defined
            > geographically and not necessarily culturally/linguistically), and
            the
            > latter are therefore not a separate tribe.

            I did! I just skipped my stubby little paws over the keyboard and
            let the memory of the glorious Veleti slip into oblivion...

            Zaroff reckons

            "The names used to describe the Slavic inhabitants of these region is
            a confusing issue due to lack of commonly accepted terminology.
            Recently, it has become more common to call them Polabians or Polabs,
            instead of Wends. There are also some problems with their division.
            In the following work three large tribal groups are distinguished:
            Obodrites in north-west, Veleti in north-east and Sorbs in the south
            (for their distribution see Appendix 2)."

            I interpret this as merely a means for readers to gain a mental
            purchase on the peoples and territories under discussion, groupings
            which coincidentally accord with the different manners of
            Germanisation in different areas. I don't think he's implying any
            fundamental ethnic or linguistic division.

            In my Russkiy book it says of the Khizhane, Cherezpenyane, Dolenchane
            and Ratary quoting Helmold's Slavic Chronicle that "These four tribes
            for their bravoury are called Viltsy or Lyutichi." Any idea why
            Veleti is spelt so strangely here? Lyutiy, for non Russkiys means
            Ferocious, as in the epithet of our King Harold Godwinson's Daughter
            Gytha's Great Grandson Mstislav Lyutiy of Kiev. Does Czech have the
            word too?

            > Where is this place called Czeska by the way? I assume you mean
            Bohemia,
            > known to the Czechs as C'echy. The Czech word "C'esko" (English
            translation:
            > Czechia) is a 1992 invention designed to abbreviate "C'eska
            republika"
            > (Czech Republic, i.e. Bohemia, Moravia and part of Silesia), and
            should not
            > therefore be applied when referring to any historical region.

            Ponyal.

            > > Anyway, outside of linguistics, we're dealing
            > > wiht a group of groups that had the same
            > > historical fate.
            >
            > I think that modern Sorbs would disagree with you there: they still
            exist,
            > for a start.

            Barely! And yet German names, customs and dress are well entranched
            among them.

            > > I'd say that anyone with half an ounce of intellectual
            > > discernment [and I suspect anyone who has seen fit
            > > to join this Group falls into this category!] would see
            > > that such is not the intended implication.
            >
            > I shall pretend not to be offended by that statement.

            I'll pretend not to be surprised at the offence taken for none was
            intended. You were talking about the need to be wary of using broad
            brush language when dealing with complex past realities for fear some
            will take statements on face value, and I feel that we can be over
            careful here, as I know, and you know, and I know that you know, and
            we both know that the vast majority of people reading this will know,
            that things are like that in the human universe.

            > For those with a further interest, I am proposing to submit a
            retelling of
            > the story of the war of the Czechs and Luc'ans for Slovo.

            Lovely.

            > > I see the Sedlichane, Litomerzhitsy and Dechane, among others
            > > are named after their home territory.
            > (a) If you wish to be understood, you will have to stop making up
            spellings.

            HEY! I'm just transliterating as best I can from Cyrillic! I try to
            indicate pronunciation and if that galls a Czechophone reader then so
            be it. I like to have a bit of fun now and then with the languages
            and the influence of my Manc'esterskiy dialect of Russian
            occasionally interferes with my English, I must admit, but we all
            know the Roman alphabet is occasionally a rather hit and miss tool!

            > (b) To take these in order:
            > - the Sedlc'ane are "those living in farmstead families"

            Sedlo being the ancestor to modern Russian Selo or village/hamlet.

            > - the second are correctly the L'utmirici, "the people of L'utomir"

            I know it's quite unrelated, but does anyone have any idea of the
            meaning of the Lud element in German Ludwig? It's spelt Chlodowic by
            the Franks too, so there's obviously nothing in common with our
            Slavonic element, I'm just asking out of curiosity.

            > - the third are "the people of De'ka".

            Being a personal name? [Some of my Romanian nationalist friends
            would have a field day on this 'Dacian' name - should I tell them in
            the interests of mischief, or restrain myself and save mainstream
            linguistics from yet more PseudoDacian headaches?]

            > These are CLAN names, not tribal names: there is no evidence that
            their
            > language differed.

            Accepted, but as a digression how much do we really know of clan
            instituions in old Boii-home?

            > > [very high between almost all Slovene,
            >
            > I assume you mean Slavs here. Slovenes are distinct group in their
            own
            > right - their modern capital is Ljubljana.

            Lovely Laibach. I'm just using the reconstructed word that the first
            Slavs used themselves. I didn't put an S on the end. Don't the
            Slovenes call themselves Slovenci any way? I dislike the word Slav
            myself, not enough syllables and annoying connotations.

            Funny how a little group can just keep on calling themselves by the
            name they always have done, while things elsewhere go their own way
            until the day when someone comes along and tells them that their name
            has a different official meaning now. Like the Rusyns, or the
            speakers of Ladin in Switzerland.

            Slovene as a title was also preserved by the Eastern Slavs around
            Lake Il'men, and Lord Novgorod the Great. Has anyone else here
            visited that area? I saw one of the most amazing sights of my life
            on that lake, I'll tell yous about it another time if ye like.

            I hear that the Kaszubs also bore a name Slovintsy too.

            > > Bringing out the pedant in me; we often use the
            > > definite article when dealing with ethnic matters.
            > Define "we", please.

            Ben McGarrs.

            > Well disregarding your invention of Khorvat for what everyone
            refers to as
            > Croats (or Charvats or Chorvats),

            Oh excuse me, I didn't know that all 200,000,000+ Russians,
            Ukrainians and Belorussians had been disqualified from being counted
            under the term 'everyone'.

            >this seems rather weak.

            Why? We can discern several layers of ethnonyms among the Slavs,
            judging by function, source and formation principles and Khorvat is
            included by some in the earlier strata. There's no obvious means of
            breaking down XorBat into any constituent parts, and it makes little
            sense if looked at in Slavonic isolation. I still stand by the logic
            of the 'being in three separate places' subsequent to the Great
            Migrations argument. How do you account for it otherwise?

            I invoke in support of this perceived ancientness of name Ivanov,
            V.V. & Toporov, V.N. 1980 O Drevnikh Slavyanskikh Etnonimakh. Kiev.
            and Kovalev, G.F. 1991 Etnonimiya Slavyanskikh Yazykov. Voronezh.

            > > but perhaps more tellingly, each name here is
            > > recorded for at least two [and possibly all] out of the
            > > three main zones of Slavdom. The names therefore
            > > predate the migrations.
            >
            > Er no, because AFAIK there is no evidence for them in the written
            sources of
            > the
            > pre-immigration period.

            Bozhe! THere's no evidence for ANYTHING AT ALL pre-immigration. We
            still have to find ways of explaining situations that were written
            down.

            >We have no evidence that they were indeed applied IN
            > PERIOD, however universal their application now.

            Where did they come from then?

            > The Sudetenland (if you wish to offend people)

            It wouldn't offend my FinnoGerman mate's Grandmother who was forcibly
            evicted from there as a child!

            >or the Sudety. "The Sudeten"
            > doesn't make sense.

            I have heard and read it. I'll try and think where.

            >Also, I believe that you are not quite correct here:
            > Croats/Charvats are said to have occupied an area in what is now
            north-EAST
            > Bohemia,
            > just beyond the Sudetenland as usually defined, and away from the
            Sudety.

            Okay. I don't really know anything of Czech geography.

            > Charvat is still a common Czech surname.

            Superb!

            > Czechia is an artificial term coined in 1992 to refer to the Czech
            Republic
            > as a country (see above). Chekhiya is, I believe, a part of what is
            > generally called Chechyna.

            Chekhiya is how the Russkies say Czechia. Do you mean Chechnya in
            your last sentence? A place rather near the bottom of my To visit
            when back in Russia list.

            > Further, I have never claimed to possess encylopedic, or even
            complete,
            > information; I do however heartily endorse the cornerstone of the
            SIG, which
            > is to share what we know. I am quite happy to discuss anything
            provided that
            > we agree at the outset that there are at least two points of view,
            neither
            > of which need necessarily be correct.

            For sure, but you do know some pretty obscure facts.

            > > There's supposedly a consensus on a Germanic origin
            > > for the name. *daud-laiba [nasledstvo umershego]
            > > being one reconstruction. Gothic
            > > is even supposed.
            >
            > Er, but one set was by the Dnestr? So why a Germanic origin, given
            your
            > earlier comments about the unlikelihood of German names being
            adopted into
            > Slavonic?

            I didn't say it was unlikely that a Slavonic tribe should have a
            Germanic title, merely that the specific names known from modern East
            Germany don't look German. Germanics got about a fair bit before the
            Slavs ever came on the scene, especially the "Glorious Goths" so it's
            only natural that some echoes should be felt in a later period when
            these lands had become Slavonicised.

            > Anyway, having done a little digging, I have come up with Doudleby
            in South
            > Bohemia, which I assume is the place you are talking about. My
            trusty
            > 'Zeme'pisna jmena v Cechach, na Morave' a ve Slezsku' ("Placenames
            in
            > Bohemia, Moravia & Silesia", by I. Lutterer & R. S'ramek, publ.
            TOBIAS,
            > Havlic'kuv Brod, 2004, ISBN 80-7311-025-3) notes that there is
            considerable
            > disagreement over the origin of the name.
            > Some authors see a link to a tribe known as the Dulebi or Dudlebi -
            with Al
            > Masudi suggesting Dulabe (!)

            French aristos! Maybe the Arabic alphabet's lack of vowels is the
            problem here.

            >in the 10th cent. - supposedly present in
            > Carinthia, Pannonia and Volynia as well as Bohemia. There is, and I
            quote,
            > "a rich literature on the origin of this tribal name, opinions thus
            far at
            > variance".
            > One suggestion is indeed a root in the west German Deudo- ('people,
            tribe,
            > land') and -laifs ('remnant, inheritance'), despite (quoting
            again) "its
            > weakness being the assumption that it must have been adopted from
            the
            > Germanic name into Slavonic prior to the shift in the Old High
            German
            > consonant, i.e. before 600 AD".

            THat's not so much a weakness if we suppose an Eastern Germanic
            source, as in the Gothic Daud-laiba.

            Has anyone considered a Celtic etymology? The same IE root gives
            Tuath in Irish, the Gaulish God Teutates, and gave another word in
            Old Welsh which is now obsolete but which gave the first part of the
            rather well known name 'Tudor'. [Funny how Tudor means exactly the
            same as Englisc Theodric and Gothic Theodoric, and the Deutsch name
            Volker and Dietrich, and the very word Deutsch itself]. The same
            Celtic root is sometimes supposed to underly the name of the Germanic
            tribe Teutones, so Douleby wouldn't be alone if regarded as a Celtic
            borrowing.

            There were plenty of Celts around in the area, and who knows into
            what divergent forms their language developed once they slipped from
            the notice of Classical chroniclers into the mists of the endless
            wanderings of folks.

            > Others, perhaps not surprisingly, see a stronger connection to the
            common
            > Slavonic duda-, meaning reed or (pan) pipe...

            Doesn't ring true on the face of it, but there's nowt so queer as
            folk so who knows. I would say though, that I wouldn't expect so
            many reeds or marshes in the mountainous areas concerned. What's
            the -leby bit if the first part is fife?

            > > Lots of people can't do haceks on their computers.
            >
            > No kidding? You will probably have noticed that due to the
            inability of
            > e-mail to handle full 8-bit characters, I usually adopt the US
            Dept. of
            > Defense (sic) standard, which is to indicate letters with a hac'ek
            by the
            > use of an apostrophe after that letter, and to skip the other
            accents. This
            > is the standard adopted on professional mailing lists for
            translators, for
            > example (one of the more successful of which for Czech I happen to
            run).

            Awkward for me, I use apostrophes to indicate the Cyrillic soft sign,
            and two apostrophes for the hard sign. In welsh they have the 'ty
            bach' ['little house'] sign like a French circumflex accent, and the
            Welsh convention is to use a + sign; maybe that would have been a
            better choice for the Pentagon. Or else the '>' or '<'. I wonder
            what the Frenchies do? In practice the Welsh usually just miss it
            out on the web. Too ugly. Jonny Foreigner should consider adopting
            a purely phonetic and simplified orthography, just like in
            English. ;o))

            By the bye, it's the 12th of Avgust, so Happy Beating-Of-The-Apostles-
            Saints-Paul-And-Silas Day!
            http://www.days.ru/Images/im1097.htm

            All the Bestest,
            Ben
          • Ben McGarr
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 11, 2004
              Hi everyone,

              I've just posted a map I'd found deep at the bottom of my hard drive
              showing the tribes me and Alastair have been talking about, if you'd
              like to see.

              Its in the Files section at the group's webssite under the name
              Karte2.

              All the Best
              Ben
            • Alastair Millar
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 13, 2004
                Ben writes...
                > I've just posted a map... [snip]

                Ah well done, that's the one that vanished off my own hard drive!

                I still don't agree with its designation of "Polaben" as a single and
                distinct group tho'!

                Alastair
              • Alastair Millar
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 13, 2004
                  Ben writes...

                  > A funny abstract idea for the landlocked Czechs!

                  Naaah. There's this litle river called the Elbe that leads straight down to
                  the sea, navigable since the late 18th century IIRC (and certainly since the
                  19th).

                  > I wonder do they make good sailors?
                  Apparently so, strangely enough. The nationalised maritime fleet was quite
                  successful until Viktor 'the Pirate of Prague' Kozeny bought it after the
                  Velvet Revolution and sold it off in bits to make a profit.

                  > Manc'estersky dialekt Vseslavjanskistic'eskogo yazyka, sorry!

                  Bah. Pan-slavism. Grmbl.

                  > What's the Jewish source if you please? I hadn't
                  > heard of this before.

                  Well for a start we have Ibrahim ibn Ya'qub at-Turtushi, who in the mid-10th
                  century
                  travelled down from Pomerania to Magdeburg and thence to Prague, before
                  going home to Spain via Fulda and the Rhineland.

                  > But it can't have been that far from the Russkiy.

                  Why this fixation with Russian? There is a nasty habit among pan-Slavists in
                  particular of ascribing some sort of "elder brother"-like seniority or
                  superiority to the Russians... need I point out that the first Slavic
                  proto-state was actually in Moravia, however?

                  > But he does care what the Wends themselves
                  > called them. Such knowledge would be vital
                  > for the interpretation of Intelligence by
                  > the Margraves in the face of possible
                  > uprisings, or in dealings with the Slavonic elites.

                  Ummmm... actually, his assorted retainers might be interested, but he
                  himself probably wouldn't be. Which is why the few written records we have
                  tend to refer to Wends en bloc. (I could also suggest that your
                  interpretation of "intelligence" is far too modern...)

                  > Alright, but I'm just chatting, I have no real axe to grind
                  > for the sake of these dead foreigners. >;o)

                  No comment.

                  > Marvellous! Any details on that and any others?

                  I think there are books available on this. There is certainly one in Czech,
                  by Jir'i Svoboda, on Celtic place-names in Bohemia - I know because I
                  translated the English summary for it. I'll dig it out at some point (I'm in
                  the process of relocating my workplace, so a lot of things are in boxes at
                  the moment).

                  > > "Nuda" in Czech means "boredom"! :-(
                  > Nice. Is it some kind of slang?

                  Nope.

                  > Conscientious chap though, heart in the right place,
                  > with an Empire's resources at his academic disposal
                  > [enviable position!]

                  Well yes, IF he had time to use them rather than just delegating a slave to
                  do the research for him. Isn't this how many modern university academics
                  work, too??? Oh wait, those half-starved creatures are post-grad.
                  students...

                  > and probably sensitive to criticism from those in the know

                  ... who will have their own agendas and who will filter the information
                  reaching his ears/eyes accordingly.

                  > and wishing to prove himself a capable man of affairs.

                  ... while those around him want to see him fall on his face, metaphorically
                  speaking.

                  > Be thankful he wrote anything at all!

                  Oh I am, I just think we need to take it in context and keep our minds open,
                  rather than accepting everything as being the literal truth simply because
                  it's written down...

                  > Schuster-S'ewc H. 1985 Zur Geschichte und Etymologie des
                  > ethnischen Namens Sorb / Serb / Sarb / Srb. Zeitschrift Slawistik
                  > Bd.30, H6 S. 851-856.

                  See? I *knew* that if I kept on at you you'd start sourcing your comments!

                  > This is what I'm after. If only you had access to
                  > some older Polab stuff to compare.

                  Well there ARE whole Polabian websites out there, ya know. Google for them!
                  (For some reason some of them keep e-mailing me newsflashes about their
                  struggle for self-identity/determination...)

                  > and YET, Russians themselves will obstinately
                  > insist they are not understanding any of it!

                  Oh I think I have to let Alex answer that one... you still out there
                  somewhere Alex???? *grin*

                  > I interpret this as merely a means for readers to
                  > gain a mental purchase on the peoples... [snip]
                  > I don't think he's implying any
                  > fundamental ethnic or linguistic division.

                  My point PRECISELY - it's a convenient geographic label, nothing more.

                  > Any idea why Veleti is spelt so strangely here?

                  Nope.

                  > Does Czech have the word too?

                  Nope.

                  > HEY! I'm just transliterating as best I can from Cyrillic!

                  Yes but why not use acceptable English words where they exist? Words like
                  "Czech" aren't THAT hard to spell, ya know...

                  > > - the third are "the people of De'ka".
                  > Being a personal name?

                  Apparently. Don't forget the hook over the "e", so it's pronounced Dyeka.

                  > Accepted, but as a digression how much do we
                  > really know of clan instituions in old Boii-home?

                  Absolutely nothing. That doesn't mean we shouldn't recognise them as having
                  existed, though.

                  Part of the problem for non- or limited-Czech speakers is undoubtedly the
                  Czech word "kmen", which can mean tribe OR race OR people OR group... the
                  situation is so bad that contemporary Czech historians now use the Latin
                  'gens' for 'tribe', to prevent confusion.

                  > Lovely Laibach. I'm just using the reconstructed
                  > word that the first Slavs used themselves.

                  Errrrrrrrrrrr... surely they would have used Slovan or something similar,
                  rather than Slovene?

                  > Don't the Slovenes call themselves Slovenci any way?

                  Slovaci, as far as I know... which is also what Slovaks call themselves. Oh
                  yes, and both refer to their country as "Slovensko" I believe...

                  > I dislike the word Slav myself, not enough syllables and annoying
                  connotations.

                  Nah. Perfectly good word, and doesn't waste ink. And it's got ONE vowel,
                  which is more than a lot of Czech words do... As long as you remember that
                  in linguistics the adjective is Slavonic, and everywhere else it's Slavic,
                  you're okay.

                  > Slovene as a title was also preserved by the
                  > Eastern Slavs around Lake Il'men, and Lord
                  > Novgorod the Great.

                  See above. Slovene is not a Slavonic word.

                  > Oh excuse me, I didn't know that all 200,000,000+
                  > Russians, Ukrainians and Belorussians had been
                  > disqualified from being counted under the term 'everyone'.

                  As noted above, if a perfectly good/acceptable English word exists, why not
                  use it, since we're writing in English?

                  > How do you account for it otherwise?

                  I don't, I'm trying (successfully) to get you to explain your ideas more
                  fully, so that everyone can follow them.

                  > I invoke in support of this perceived ancientness of name
                  > Ivanov, V.V. & Toporov, V.N. 1980 O Drevnikh
                  > Slavyanskikh Etnonimakh. Kiev. and Kovalev, G.F.
                  > 1991 Etnonimiya Slavyanskikh Yazykov. Voronezh.

                  See? more sources, it works!

                  > Bozhe! THere's no evidence for ANYTHING
                  > AT ALL pre-immigration.

                  Archaeology. It's a thing of the past, but still... you could dig it if you
                  tried.

                  > Where did they come from then?

                  Dontcha love a mystery?

                  > > The Sudetenland (if you wish to offend people)
                  > It wouldn't offend my FinnoGerman mate's Grandmother

                  Using the German name among Czechs, however, will almost certainly offend.

                  > Chekhiya is how the Russkies say Czechia.

                  Again, why make up a word when an English one already exists?

                  > Do you mean Chechnya in your last sentence?

                  Dat's da bunny!

                  > For sure, but you do know some pretty obscure facts.

                  Not really. Some of them can be quite hard to get to for non-Czech speakers,
                  admittedly.

                  > French aristos! Maybe the Arabic alphabet's lack
                  > of vowels is the problem here.

                  The a has a hat on it, for what it's worth.

                  > THat's not so much a weakness if we suppose an
                  > Eastern Germanic source, as in the Gothic Daud-laiba.

                  I feel no need to make that assumption without further evidence. Besides,
                  the Goths only started moving in what, the 200's AD? A mere 250 years or so
                  before the Slavs started appearing, not much time to set a standard, I feel.

                  > There were plenty of Celts around in the area,
                  > and who knows into what divergent forms their
                  > language developed

                  P-Celtic and Q-Celtic, as I recall.

                  > once they slipped from the notice of Classical
                  > chroniclers into the mists of the endless
                  > wanderings of folks.

                  That closet romaticism of yours is showing again.

                  > Jonny Foreigner should consider adopting a purely
                  > phonetic and simplified orthography, just like in
                  > English. ;o))

                  But Czech DOES have a purely phonetic, regular system of
                  spelling/pronunciation already.

                  Cheers

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 30, 2004
                    Hello Alastair,
                    I've just got back from a fortnight on the Isle of Skye, but I still
                    thought I'd reply to a few points you made last time we spoke.

                    --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Alastair Millar" <alastair@i...> wrote:

                    > Why this fixation with Russian? There is a nasty habit among pan-
                    Slavists in
                    > particular of ascribing some sort of "elder brother"-like seniority
                    or
                    > superiority to the Russians... need I point out that the first
                    Slavic
                    > proto-state was actually in Moravia, however?

                    My fixation with Russian comes merely from the fact that I have lived
                    ate, worked and slept with them for several years. I don't see them
                    as any sort of 'elder brother' or anything, it's just that through
                    this 'brother' I met the rest of the 'family'. Lots of my Russkiy
                    friends like to use this 'State-builder' kind of terminology, but I
                    don't, having a different view of what makes a people great,
                    something bundled up in their ability to preserve a sense of
                    themselves over vast spans of time and other cultural factors.

                    > > Lovely Laibach. I'm just using the reconstructed
                    > > word that the first Slavs used themselves.
                    >
                    > Errrrrrrrrrrr... surely they would have used Slovan or something
                    similar,
                    > rather than Slovene?

                    That's how I've seen it in etymological dictionaries. There isn't
                    any online dictionaries you can point me to in which this is refuted,
                    is there?

                    > > Don't the Slovenes call themselves Slovenci any way?
                    >
                    > Slovaci, as far as I know... which is also what Slovaks call
                    themselves.

                    I read that only the Slovaks use that term.

                    > > Slovene as a title was also preserved by the
                    > > Eastern Slavs around Lake Il'men, and Lord
                    > > Novgorod the Great.
                    >
                    > See above. Slovene is not a Slavonic word.

                    I don't follow you here. What is the word if it's not Slavonic?

                    > > Oh excuse me, I didn't know that all 200,000,000+
                    > > Russians, Ukrainians and Belorussians had been
                    > > disqualified from being counted under the term 'everyone'.
                    >
                    > As noted above, if a perfectly good/acceptable English word exists,
                    why not
                    > use it, since we're writing in English?

                    We are talking about ethnic realities a millenium in the past, when
                    these 'Croats' were called Khorvaty in the Russian chronicles. The
                    English term Croat is used now to name people who live between Bosnia
                    and Slovenia [despite their own ideas on what they are called] so I
                    don't see how it's a better term than Khorvat to describe people on
                    the Dnestr in the 1000s. Your Charvat or whatever is hardly a good
                    term to use for people who lived in the modern Ukraine, being a Czech
                    form of the original.

                    > > Bozhe! THere's no evidence for ANYTHING
                    > > AT ALL pre-immigration.
                    >
                    > Archaeology. It's a thing of the past, but still... you could dig
                    it if you
                    > tried.

                    I've got a degree in it, but I look to Philology as much these days.

                    > > THat's not so much a weakness if we suppose an
                    > > Eastern Germanic source, as in the Gothic Daud-laiba.
                    >
                    > I feel no need to make that assumption without further evidence.
                    Besides,
                    > the Goths only started moving in what, the 200's AD? A mere 250
                    years or so
                    > before the Slavs started appearing, not much time to set a
                    standard, I feel.

                    The movement of which you speak was from the Pontic area to the Roman
                    limes. They [or a core of their predecessors or whatnot] had a
                    previous homeland nearer the Baltic. I said Eastern Germanic anyway
                    which includes all those Burgundians and Vandals and Gepids too, and
                    some of these fellows were around before the Roman Empire, more than
                    enough time to make an impression on any Proto Slavs that may have
                    fallen into their orbit.

                    > > There were plenty of Celts around in the area,
                    > > and who knows into what divergent forms their
                    > > language developed
                    >
                    > P-Celtic and Q-Celtic, as I recall.

                    We are only dealing with P Celts at this time in this part of the
                    Continent. The Q lot are only known from Ireland and perhaps
                    northern Iberia. I was talking about the possibility of a unique
                    development of Celtic speech in the centre of Europe where it may
                    have lingered on after its period of political dominance there. I
                    wonder does the bok for which you translated the prefix dare to make
                    any suppositions on the presence of any peculiar developments in
                    phonology in your region?

                    > > once they slipped from the notice of Classical
                    > > chroniclers into the mists of the endless
                    > > wanderings of folks.
                    >
                    > That closet romaticism of yours is showing again.

                    Oh and so what? That sentence can easily be dried to its bare husk,
                    but should it really have to be? Let me play Alastair! It hardly
                    harms the bulk of what I was saying last time. And since when has my
                    Romanticism been hidden in a closet?!!

                    > > Jonny Foreigner should consider adopting a purely
                    > > phonetic and simplified orthography, just like in
                    > > English. ;o))
                    >
                    > But Czech DOES have a purely phonetic, regular system of
                    > spelling/pronunciation already.

                    I know. What I said was obviously a joke, as evinced by the tacky
                    little smiley following it, the absurd assertion that English has a
                    decent phonetic orthography, and the use of old fashioned stereotypic
                    epithets like Jonnie Foreigner.

                    T'rah for now,
                    Ben
                  • Alastair Millar
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 3, 2004
                      >> Errrrrrrrrrrr... surely they would have used Slovan or
                      >> something similar, rather than Slovene?
                      > That's how I've seen it in etymological dictionaries.

                      *shrug* I've never come across it.

                      > There isn't any online dictionaries you can point
                      > me to in which this is refuted, is there?

                      Nope.

                      >> Slovaci, as far as I know... which is also what
                      >> Slovaks call themselves.
                      >
                      > I read that only the Slovaks use that term.

                      At some point I shall ask my Slovene friends again.

                      >> See above. Slovene is not a Slavonic word.
                      > I don't follow you here. What is the word if it's not Slavonic?

                      The root is Slavonic, but Slovene is not a Slavonic word afaik.

                      >> As noted above, if a perfectly good/acceptable
                      >> English word exists, why not use it, since we're writing
                      >> in English?
                      >
                      > We are talking about ethnic realities a millenium in
                      > the past, when these 'Croats' were called Khorvaty
                      > in the Russian chronicles.

                      Do try not to patronise, it really doesn't help your argument.

                      > The English term Croat is used now to name people
                      > who live between Bosnia and Slovenia [snip]

                      But not to refer *exclusively* to them - it's also used for those who used
                      to live in, for example, North-East Bohemia, and indeed those on the Dnestr
                      in the 1000's - that's my point.

                      > so I don't see how it's a better term than Khorvat
                      > to describe people on the Dnestr in the 1000s.

                      It is better because it is the accepted English word for that group. If you
                      use something else, you will end up looking either (a) so pretentious that
                      your original points are lost, (b) stubborn and/or (c) uninformed.

                      > Your Charvat or whatever is hardly a good
                      > term to use for people who lived in the modern
                      > Ukraine, being a Czech form of the original.

                      I never suggested using Charvat - and indeed I would not, since we have a
                      perfectly good English word already.... see above.

                      >> Archaeology. It's a thing of the past, but still... you
                      >> could dig it if you tried.
                      >
                      > I've got a degree in it,

                      That makes at least three of us on the list, then.

                      > but I look to Philology as much these days.

                      Ah, an apostate from the True Path...

                      > The movement of which you speak was from the
                      > Pontic area to the Roman limes. They [or a core
                      > of their predecessors or whatnot] had a
                      > previous homeland nearer the Baltic.
                      [snip]
                      > I said Eastern Germanic anyway which includes
                      > all those Burgundians and Vandals and Gepids too,
                      > and some of these fellows were around before the
                      > Roman Empire, more than enough time to make
                      > an impression on any Proto Slavs that may have
                      > fallen into their orbit.

                      Well (a) I still reserve judgement until seeing more evidence, and (b) there
                      is no evidence that were any proto-Slavs around TO influence prior to the
                      5th or 6th centuries.

                      > We are only dealing with P Celts at this time
                      > in this part of the Continent. The Q lot are
                      > only known from Ireland and perhaps
                      > northern Iberia.

                      I am aware of that. The point I was trying to make is that these are the
                      ONLY major flavours of Celtic that we know - and specifically, that we do
                      not have any evidence at all for your Central European version.

                      > I was talking about the possibility of a unique
                      > development of Celtic speech in the centre of
                      > Europe where it may have lingered on [snip]

                      How nice. And is there any actual evidence for this? Bearing in mind the
                      generally accepted view that any lingering Celts were either wiped out or
                      well and truly assimilated after the arrival of the Slavs?

                      > wonder does the bok for which you translated
                      > the prefix dare to make any suppositions on the
                      > presence of any peculiar developments in
                      > phonology in your region?

                      It is not supposition, it is observation of Celtic elements in some place
                      names. It also does not suggest peculiar developments in local phonology,
                      and I did not say that it did so.

                      Even if it did, though, surely this is just the sort of thing you should be
                      in favour of if you want to find any evidence to back up your 'third way' of
                      Celtic linguistic development in Central Europe? Either you think there were
                      phonological developments in the region or you don't, make your mind up.

                      > Oh and so what? [snip]
                      > Let me play Alastair! [snip]
                      > And since when has my Romanticism been
                      > hidden in a closet?!!

                      Which of course is the nub of this discussion anyway, and I'm glad you've
                      finally come out and said it. You may be here just to play around and wander
                      off down some wild hypotheses that are very difficult to support, but some
                      of us prefer to share information which can actually be substantiated, and
                      which can feed into the practicalities of (historical) reconstruction....
                      which is what this list is about.

                      Given the foregoing, pressure of work and an almost total disinterest in
                      linguistics, I see no point in pursuing this thread any further

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 3, 2004
                        In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Alastair Millar" <alastair@i...> wrote:
                        > >> Errrrrrrrrrrr... surely they would have used Slovan or
                        > >> something similar, rather than Slovene?
                        > > That's how I've seen it in etymological dictionaries.
                        > *shrug* I've never come across it.

                        Does that mean you've never looked? If so, I don't see why you can
                        get away with such a long "Errrrrrrrrrrrr" [as the actress said to
                        the bishop].

                        > > I read that only the Slovaks use that term.
                        > At some point I shall ask my Slovene friends again.

                        Ruf Ageeva says they should be "Sloventsy" or however their peculiar
                        orthography attempts to get across something on those lines. She
                        reserves Slovaci as an autonym for the Slovaks, and Slovintsi for the
                        Kaszub/Pomeranians of NW Polska.

                        > The root is Slavonic, but Slovene is not a Slavonic word afaik.

                        When it's pronounced Slow - Veen to signify those chaps in Illyria
                        it's just an English thing, but if it's something more like slo veh
                        nye then it's Slavonic, surely?

                        This is what the Novgorod people called themselves before the
                        Scandinavian descended aristos and the Orthodox clergy got em to
                        recognise emselves as Rusichi. How can it not be Slavonic in this
                        case?

                        Incidentally, does anyone have any idea why there are two forms of
                        this word in Russkiy? Slovene and Slavyane. Is the latter
                        an 'educated' form owing its different shape to OLd Church Slavonic,
                        I wonder?

                        > > We are talking about ethnic realities a millenium in
                        > > the past, when these 'Croats' were called Khorvaty
                        > > in the Russian chronicles.
                        >
                        > Do try not to patronise, it really doesn't help your argument.

                        Where's the patronising there? I'm just trying to spell things out
                        a bit. You did accuse me a while back of being too obscure at
                        times. Christ, I can't win, can I?! All I'm saying is that I think
                        the Russian convention for naming this long dead polity is better
                        than what you say is the English. You even said I had made up my
                        word, which is rather ridiculous as it's there in the letopisy. I
                        suppose we could compromise with a more specific "White Croats".
                        Does that mean the Balkan and the Central European ones were Black
                        Croats or something? Is there any colour terminology seen for the
                        Slavs in your ppart of the world?

                        On a personal note, perhaps I am guilty of an unusual desire to use,
                        or at least promote knowledge of, the names of folks as they call [or
                        called] themselves, but I see that as something quite honourable.
                        Isn't this exactly the sort of way of speaking we should be employing
                        on this list? After all, we're not in Academia here, and should be
                        allowed the freedom to relax a bit.

                        > It is better because it is the accepted English word for that
                        group. If you
                        > use something else, you will end up looking either (a) so
                        pretentious that
                        > your original points are lost, (b) stubborn and/or (c) uninformed.

                        No (d)? Mercy!

                        > I never suggested using Charvat - and indeed I would not, since we
                        have a
                        > perfectly good English word already.... see above.

                        But you did throw 'Charvat' at me as though to prove my ignorance and
                        inability to spell, despite Khorvat being the normal Russian form,
                        dating from the time it was used in the mouths of people whom it
                        referred to.

                        Indeed, I'm very happy to learn how the Czechs call their Croats, and
                        especially that the word survives as a surname, but I'd prefer it if
                        you introduced such things to me as curious additional facts rather
                        than as absolute replacements for my own supposed falsities. And you
                        must admit how clumsy the accepted English words are. No doubt
                        they'll change in years to come as fashions change, so forgive me a
                        little innovation.

                        > > but I look to Philology as much these days.
                        >
                        > Ah, an apostate from the True Path...

                        I'd love to see a true working synthesis of Archaeology with
                        Philology, Genetics, Physical and Social Anthropology, and even with
                        a more developed scientific approach to Folklore, Dance, Musicology
                        and anything else that could possibly help in untangling the great
                        story of humanity and culture. That would be a True Path! Can't see
                        it happening in our lifetimes though. I'd blame this on the present
                        state of academia in general, and especially on theory and
                        interdisciplinary jealousy. Or perhaps the present state of our
                        knowledge necessarily precludes it.

                        You just don't see the wide-ranging scholars of the past any more.
                        Where are the J.G. Frazers of today? Our education systems simply
                        cannot produce their ilk any more, to our great loss. THey were men
                        of their time naturally, and politically would hardly be very
                        fashionable now, or even acceptable, but if they or others of their
                        outlook and ambition were in possession of one half the data
                        available to us today, they'd be fifty years ahead of us in their
                        concclusions.

                        I suppose Renfrew is trying his best to go some way toward this, I
                        wonder what you think of his Indo European hypothesis? I am very
                        scathing of it myself!

                        {concerning the Dudlebi deriving their name from Gothic or somesuch}
                        > Well (a) I still reserve judgement until seeing more evidence,

                        I believe there never will be any more evidence of any relevance to
                        this question, so I reckon that we should try our damnedest to do
                        what we can with what we have, rather than throw our arms up in the
                        air in despair.

                        >and (b) there
                        > is no evidence that were any proto-Slavs around TO influence prior
                        to the
                        > 5th or 6th centuries.

                        Slavonic split from Baltic LONG before the Fifth Century AD. Sure we
                        don't know exactly where they were, but we know where they weren't
                        and are left only with those areas of the Forest/Steppe belt not
                        occupied by Balts, Finns, or Iranians, not too big an area
                        considering.

                        > I am aware of that. The point I was trying to make is that these
                        are the
                        > ONLY major flavours of Celtic that we know - and specifically, that
                        we do
                        > not have any evidence at all for your Central European version.

                        I'm not proposing an entirely new subfamily, I'm just musing over the
                        fact that there were P Celts in the area from the first few centuries
                        BC, lingering around until well into the First Millenium AD [as my
                        former lecturer Malcolm Todd says in his Early Germans, 1995], if not
                        later. The Poles around Cracow are quite enthusiastic about this
                        sort of thing lately. Anyway, we're left with almost a millennium in
                        which the form of P Celtic here must have gone its merry way so who
                        knows how this might have affected later tribal terminology. The
                        Celts here were quite a force to be reckoned with, what with their
                        control of the amber trade and all, and nothing easily disappears in
                        this world without leaving some reminder of itself. The Bavarians
                        preserve a memory of a long forgotten Celtic race in their name, so
                        why shouldn't the Doudleby have done?

                        > > wonder does the book for which you translated
                        > > the prefix dare to make any suppositions on the
                        > > presence of any peculiar developments in
                        > > phonology in your region?
                        >
                        > It is not supposition, it is observation of Celtic elements in some
                        place
                        > names. It also does not suggest peculiar developments in local
                        phonology,
                        > and I did not say that it did so.

                        I was only asking. You know, in British linguistics [see Kenneth
                        Jackson's Language and History in Early Britain – my favourite!] we
                        have no records for the form of `Welsh' that was spoken in Northern
                        England and Southern Scotland before the switch to English in about
                        the Eighth Century or beyond, apart from three words found in a law
                        code of Scotland. Nevertheless, our scholars have made tentative
                        suggestions as to possible developments that would serve to
                        distinguish this `Cumbric' from Welsh, drawing on placename evidence
                        and onomastica. I'm the same could be done, or may indeed have
                        already been done, in Czechland.

                        > Even if it did, though, surely this is just the sort of thing you
                        should be
                        > in favour of if you want to find any evidence to back up
                        your 'third way' of
                        > Celtic linguistic development in Central Europe? Either you think
                        there were
                        > phonological developments in the region or you don't, make your
                        mind up.

                        I would expect there to have been something.

                        > > Oh and so what? [snip]
                        > > Let me play Alastair! [snip]
                        > > And since when has my Romanticism been
                        > > hidden in a closet?!!
                        > Which of course is the nub of this discussion anyway, and I'm glad
                        you've
                        > finally come out and said it. You may be here just to play around
                        and wander
                        > off down some wild hypotheses that are very difficult to support,
                        but some
                        > of us prefer to share information which can actually be
                        substantiated, and
                        > which can feed into the practicalities of (historical)
                        reconstruction....
                        > which is what this list is about.

                        Well, so much for trying to inject a little lightheartedness. I'm
                        not here to play around and wander, I'm here to learn and discuss and
                        provide food for thought and stop my ideas bouncing around inside my
                        head with no outlet. How is any progress to be made if ideas are not
                        freely exchanged and debated. What does Sherlock Holmes say? "First
                        eliminate the impossible, and whatever remains, however improbable
                        …"

                        I'm not mad on this Celtic idea, it was just a digression, but not
                        one too absurd given the established presence of those lads in the
                        region for all that time. I would tend to favour the East Germanic
                        theory though, despite your problem with further evidence. Philology
                        is mature enough a discipline to trace a word back in time and
                        compare the result with other languages subjected to the same
                        treatment. Germano-Slavonic linguistic contacts are far more common
                        than you seem to realise at this early period, and can even be
                        decently dated when the evidence of peculiar sound shifts is seen.

                        As for the aims and boundaries of this list, on the home page it says
                        "Anything relating to pre-1650 Slavic history , or anything Slavic
                        as it pertains to the SCA is welcome here."
                        I think I am within that. I'm not one for dressing up myself, though
                        given time and opportunity I can see it might be fun, but I still
                        don't think I've wasted too much of anyone's time here [and would
                        appreciate if any onlookers who have hitherto been content to just
                        watch would support me here!], and I did help Marija with her
                        povoinik. ;o))

                        > Given the foregoing, pressure of work and an almost total
                        disinterest in
                        > linguistics, I see no point in pursuing this thread any further

                        That is a damned shame, Alastair. I hope you will reconsider, as I
                        have enjoyed talking with you here, and wish that you'd remember that
                        you started out as playing Devil's Advocate and therefore that any
                        patronising or offence from me is for Old Nick to care about, not
                        yourself. We're zemlyaki, Alastair, yedinorodtsy! And even more
                        than that, we're fellow Britons in a Sea of Slavs too! I'm sorry if
                        maybe I'm a little abrupt in my manner of speech sometimes, but Hey,
                        that's me. The Russkies don't mind. So far… Postuchi po derevu!

                        And how can a professional translator [let alone one in the
                        heritage/humanities trade] have "an almost total disinterest in>
                        linguistics" ??? Doesn't ring true!

                        Ah well, what do you want to argue about next?

                        All the bestest,
                        Ben

                        PS. It's the 4/9/04 so Happy Ìó÷åíèêè Àãàôîíèê, Çîòèê, Ôåîïðåïèé
                        (Áîãîëåï), Àêèíäèí, Ñåâåðèàí, Çèíîí è ïðî÷èå's day. [Martyrs
                        Agathonicos, Zotikos, Theoprepius, Acindinus, Severianus and Zinon,
                        of Nicomedia in Anatolia]. All tortured, forced marched to Thrakia
                        and put to death in the reign of Maximian [284 – 305 AD].
                        http://www.days.ru/Images/im1624.htm