Re: Rokycany

  • Ron Jachim
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 21, 2004
      If you're interested in 15th century Bohemia, check out Medieval
      Costume, Armour and Weapons by Eduard Wagner, et. al. published by
      Dover. It is almost exclusively Czech in its coverage. I don't think
      the husaria were around at that point as the shock troops that we've
      come to know & love in the late 16th and 17th century.

      Ron
      17th Century Polish Pancerni
    • D and L Potucek
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 21, 2004
        Thanks for the resource! I am still planning on doing hussaria, I just am going to have my actual name be around the late 15th century so as to fall within the SCA standards as the hussaria is right around the end of the SCA. I will look up the book however as it never hurts getting to know the history of the land you are trying to create. I am really excited to use Václav z Rokycan and plan to submit it as my name within the week. I am having my local herald look it over to make sure there nothing missing before I send it in.

        Did Bohemia dress pretty much follow along the Polish lines as "son of Kaftan" or did they go another way. Also, I have seen several times where Poland used Bohemian mercenaries so I was thinking I could always be a second or third generation Bohemian in service of the Polish Hussaria. Although, I couldn't for sure say if this would have happened in period though I can't see why it wouldn't have. I know more about the Polish dress so I am going to try and learn about the Bohemian dress and probably do some of both. My family came from Bohemia and my lady's from Poland so we are excited to be trying to recreate the history of our peoples.

        Dziekuje!
        Václav z Rokycan

      • Ron Jachim
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 21, 2004
          I think you could go with late 16th century husaria and still be
          within the SCA's pre-1600 guideline (I'm not SCA, so check with
          someone who knows. 16th century husaria sometimes wore the really
          cool maille and plate combos (aka scale maille). I think it is called
          bekter in Polish.

          Are you familiar with
          http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/PolishHorseArtillery.htm

          The Bohemian stuff all looks western to my eyes, hose & doublet sort
          of things mostly. Not the caftan style garments. I've mostly just
          skimmed this reference.

          Ron