Rokycany and Bohemia in 1000-1004

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2004
      > Waclaw, Rokycany and neighbourhood was only
      > for short time under Polish control. It was almost
      > exactly 1000 years ago, when Boleslaw Chrobry
      > conquered Bohemia

      There are several problems with this.

      Firstly, we have no evidence whatsoever that Rokycany even existed at this
      time - the earliest historical evidence for the town dates to 1110, when it
      was still a village, and there is no archaeological evidence from prior to
      the 12th century.

      Secondly, after his defeat of Boleslav III of Bohemia, Boleslaw Chrobry only
      held Bohemia for a VERY short time (perhaps just 6 months, almost certainly
      less than a year), despite his plan of uniting the two principalities. I
      think it is therefore highly unlikely that there would have been Polish
      immigration, let alone cultural permeation, in that time. One could wonder
      whether Boleslaw would even have had time to install his own administrators
      throughout Bohemia...

      The history of the years 1002-1004 in Bohemia is complicated, but here goes
      an attempt at a summary:

      999:
      Boleslav III (son of Boleslav II and grandson of Boleslav I 'the Cruel')
      ascends to the throne
      Boleslav loses the Cracow region, Silesia and Moravia to Boleslaw Chrobry of
      Poland.
      1002:
      Boleslav III deposed and exiled
      Vladivoj, another Premyslid, ascends the throne.
      1003:
      After the death of Vladivoj, Jaromír and Oldrich [Oldr'ich], the brothers of
      Boleslav III, return to Bohemia from Bavaria, and for a short time Jaromír
      takes power.
      Boleslaw Chrobry aids Boleslav III in the recovery of his throne, evidently
      intending that the latter become a client. Jaromír and Oldrich are forced
      into exile again. To secure his position, Boleslav III massacres members of
      the powerful Vrsovec family.
      Boleslaw Chrobry captures, blinds and imprisons Boleslav III, and for a
      short time rules from Prague Castle
      1004:
      Henry II of Germany, determined to prevent a merging of Bohemia and Poland,
      invades Bohemia, driving out the Poles and restoring Jaromír to the throne.

      Cheers!

      Alastair

      Alastair Millar BSc (Hons) - http://www.skriptorium.info
      Translation & Consultancy for the Heritage Industry
      P.O. Box 11, CZ 413 01 Roudnice, Czech Republic
      Tel.: +420.607.993.041, Fax.: +420.416.838.722