Tatiana and Rick

  • lynx@citynet.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2004
      Greetings, I also am attempting a persona from the Kievan area and have not
      settled on a time yet. However I have one book called Medieval Costume, Armour,
      and Weapons by Wagner, Drobna and Durdik which has been helpful..more for mens
      garb than womens lol. I have had more success with paintings of the Polish,
      Chech, and Bohemian royals. I realize these were usually their dress clothes
      but not much else is available. There are a few pictures plates from the
      Velislav bible which I have considered as well. Rick I would appreciate seeing
      anything you have on this? And Tatiana I would be happy to communicate and
      cooperate this seperately if you wish?
      I think womens garb of this area seems to be a kind of a black hole information
      wise at present and would be glad to see any light we can shed on it.
    • Rick Orli
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2004
        By the early 17th C. townswomen and richer/urbanized noblewomen were
        all wearing western fashion. In the period you mention, that trend
        had already started, but there was still plenty of distinctive and
        interesting 'native' (if that is the word) dress about. The easiest
        secondary source I can think of is the Majeko plates, a 19th C.
        costume book deemed pretty reliable because each figure is footnoted
        with a period source (such as surviving garment or tomb painting,
        etc.)
        Unfortunately the Majeko plates from this period are not posted
        anywere on the web, as far as I know.
        Kiev might also have regional differences in lower social group
        costumes, so would not trust Majeko for those anyway. On the other
        hand, the population of Kiev may have been well under 1000 for a lot
        of the 1300s-1400s... that region was really hit hard by the mongols
        and other plagues. So there were a lot of new people moving in from
        all over. By the time it became a major city again in the late 1500s
        it was all new.
        -Rick

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, lynx@c... wrote:
        > Greetings, I also am attempting a persona from the Kievan area and
        have not
        > settled on a time yet. However I have one book called Medieval
        Costume, Armour,
        > and Weapons by Wagner, Drobna and Durdik which has been
        helpful..more for mens
        > garb than womens lol. I have had more success with paintings of
        the Polish,
        > Chech, and Bohemian royals. I realize these were usually their
        dress clothes
        > but not much else is available. There are a few pictures plates
        from the
        > Velislav bible which I have considered as well. Rick I would
        appreciate seeing
        > anything you have on this? And Tatiana I would be happy to
        communicate and
        > cooperate this seperately if you wish?
        > I think womens garb of this area seems to be a kind of a black
        hole information
        > wise at present and would be glad to see any light we can shed on
        it.
      • Susan Koziel
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 6, 2004
          I'd be interested in what you've dug up.
          I've been in the process of trying to get a book on
          Ukrainian historical costumes translated... It's been
          very slow going, as some of it is very technical - and
          the people doing the translation are having problems
          with the technical words.
          -Kataryna

          --- lynx@... wrote:
          > Greetings, I also am attempting a persona from the
          > Kievan area and have not
          > settled on a time yet. However I have one book
          > called Medieval Costume, Armour,
          > and Weapons by Wagner, Drobna and Durdik which has
          > been helpful..more for mens
          > garb than womens lol. I have had more success with
          > paintings of the Polish,
          > Chech, and Bohemian royals. I realize these were
          > usually their dress clothes
          > but not much else is available. There are a few
          > pictures plates from the
          > Velislav bible which I have considered as well. Rick
          > I would appreciate seeing
          > anything you have on this? And Tatiana I would be
          > happy to communicate and
          > cooperate this seperately if you wish?
          > I think womens garb of this area seems to be a kind
          > of a black hole information
          > wise at present and would be glad to see any light
          > we can shed on it.

        • Rick Orli
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 7, 2004
            When I translated the somewhat academic Polski Ubior do 1864 Roku
            (Polish costume) it was by far the hardest translation I have ever
            tackled. Sometimes I was forced to do whole phrases in word-for-
            word lookups in unabridged dictionaries, and even then sometimes
            (often) the words were simply not there. A resource I did not have
            but wish I did was Turnau's Polish dictionary of historic costume
            terminology
            (Turnau, Irena) It is in polish but I expect that the early
            terminology would be very similiar in both languages. Your
            translators might find it useful. -Rick

            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Susan Koziel