Persona Name

  • D and L Potucek
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27 3:14 PM
      Witam!

      I have been trying to come up with a Polish / Bohemia persona name that would be accepted by the college of heralds. I am going for a name- 14-15th century. Let me know what you think of the following:

      Waclaw Kedzierzawy - Wenceslaus the Curly - I have curly hair so this is the one I would like to use.

      Vaclav Potucek - Potucek which is my last name. This would be a Bohemia / Czech persona living in Poland.

      I do have a question for you all also. What would the be the Polish version of Potucek? Would it possibly be Potucki?

      Any suggestions / comments would be appreciated.

      Dziekuje!
      Pan Langry

    • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 29 1:05 PM
        > Waclaw Kedzierzawy - Wenceslaus the Curly - I have curly hair so this is the one I would like to use.

        Hm.. should work, but what was the byname Boleslav the Curly used?

        "That road is paved with librarians,/Bushwhackers, scouts with string
        Through the labyrinths of information,/Helpers who disappear the moment
        You reach your destination." -- Julia Alvarez
      • D and L Potucek
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 29 2:48 PM
          DOH! I had seen there was a Boleslaus the Curly and didn't even think of looking at the Polish spelling of it. I am thinking he probably went by Kedzierazawy as one site I found today put his name as such in brackets behind Boleslaus the Curly. I suppose that would make it to close to being royalty or an actual person in history. Especially since there was a ruler with the name Wenceslaus 300 years later. Sorry about bothering you all with this I should have looked closer at that.

          Pan Langry

          > Waclaw Kedzierzawy - Wenceslaus the Curly - I have curly hair so this is the one I would like to use.

          Hm.. should work, but what was the byname Boleslav the Curly used?

          "That road is paved with librarians,/Bushwhackers, scouts with string
          Through the labyrinths of information,/Helpers who disappear the moment
          You reach your destination." -- Julia Alvarez

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • P&MSulisz
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004

            > Waclaw Kedzierzawy - Wenceslaus the Curly - I have curly hair so this is
            the one I would like to use.
            Nice but sounds very majestic - like Boleslaw Kedzierzawy. It will be OK if
            your persona is a member of royal/duke family. In other case I would suggest
            to change the cognomen Kedzierzawy in more simple Kedziorek. Means in
            general the same but is less official. You should also find some less royal
            first name.

            > Vaclav Potucek - Potucek which is my last name. This would be a Bohemia /
            Czech persona living in Poland.

            > I do have a question for you all also. What would the be the Polish
            version of Potucek?
            What does it mean in Czech? The names was very often translated.

            >Would it possibly be Potucki?

            It means nothing and sounds - in POlish - rather funny.
            Magdalena z Wroclawia