Re: [sig] Helms

  • Patrick Levesque
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 23, 2004
      Thanks for the link! The price and quality do look good, although I'm not
      looking for a blacksmith at this point (already found one closer to home)

      I was wondering about the lobster helm, however. I've just begun research in
      that area, so I might have the wrong information, but I thought Lobster
      helms came into fashion around 1630 (somewhat OOP; although I like the
      design too).

      My main worries about the helm are the cap, and the shape of the face grill;
      I currently have something somewhat similar (mid 17th Austrian) and I find
      it puts me at a disadvantage where face shots are concerned (especially face
      thrusts, as they connect easily into that face grill design). I have to work
      on this a lot more on my side, but I'd like a grill design that tends to
      deflects thrusts away to the side of the head instead.

      I like the lobster design; it would combine nicely with the typical Turkish
      helm.

      Petru

    • MoxFool@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 24, 2004
        Petru, if by source you mean you are looking for pictures, etc., then I
        recommend "Polish Armies 1& 2" In the Osprey Men-At-Arms series (#184 and 188) by
        Richard Brzezinski. Also the article 'The Winged Hussars of Poland" by Zdzislaw
        Zygulski, Jr. in The Arms and Armor Annual, V 1 I 1, 1973. I have this
        article and will xerox it for you if need be. However, you can also follow the link
        and see it online: http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_hussars.html

        Hope this helps!

        Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski, House Griffin's Moon
        Middle Kingdom, Barony of the Northwoods, The Shire of Talonval
        Student of THL Albyn Buckthorne, C.B.R., Sword Brother
        Silverwing's SCA Law's #86 - "A persona is no substitute for a personality" -
        Linnet Kestrel

      • Patrick Levesque
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 24, 2004
          Thanks for the link; I was obviously wrong about the lobster-tail helm being
          OOP...

          Petru

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 24, 2004
            In a message dated 6/24/2004 9:41:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            pleves1@... writes:
            Thanks for the link; I was obviously wrong about the lobster-tail helm being
            OOP...

            Petru

            No problem, that's what we're here for. :D