Slavic "vich" names

  • Lydia
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 13, 2004
      Friends,

      I have been trying to place my (maiden) family name in period. It is a
      Croat name (Bosnia Croat from Livno, although borders have shifted many
      times, obviously). It has gone through many permutations:

      Leovic
      Leovich
      Lijovic (accented c for ch sound)
      Liovic (accented c for ch sound)

      The issue I am wondering about was brought up to me by a herald. He
      indicated to me that a name ending in "vich" meant "son of", which I knew.
      However, I am a woman. Did this gender distinction really make a
      difference in period? If so, what is the suffix for "daughter of"?

      Thank you for sharing anything you know!
      Lidiya Lijovic
      MKA Lydia Leovic Towery

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    • Marilee Humason
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 13, 2004
        For what it is worth, My grandfather was Bosnian, our
        name is "Kovich" however I understand that when he
        came through, they changed his name, it was originally
        "Kovacavich" (kovachavich), so remember the americans
        are stupid and can't spell peoples names.
        Anastasia
        --- Lydia <kaylee@...> wrote:
        > Friends,
        >
        > I have been trying to place my (maiden) family name
        > in period. It is a
        > Croat name (Bosnia Croat from Livno, although
        > borders have shifted many
        > times, obviously). It has gone through many
        > permutations:
        >
        > Leovic
        > Leovich
        > Lijovic (accented c for ch sound)
        > Liovic (accented c for ch sound)
        >
        > The issue I am wondering about was brought up to me
        > by a herald. He
        > indicated to me that a name ending in "vich" meant
        > "son of", which I knew.
        > However, I am a woman. Did this gender distinction
        > really make a
        > difference in period? If so, what is the suffix for
        > "daughter of"?
        >
        > Thank you for sharing anything you know!
        > Lidiya Lijovic
        > MKA Lydia Leovic Towery

        > http://messenger.yahoo.com/

      • Paul W. Goldschmidt
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 13, 2004
          A few observations on names and Slavic names in general.

          >times, obviously). It has gone through many permutations:
          >
          >Leovic
          >Leovich
          >Lijovic (accented c for ch sound)
          >Liovic (accented c for ch sound)

          These are all identical names. Spelling permutations that are this subtle
          are common in any period. Once you get back to Medieval times, these are
          common variants -- even within the same document or paragraph for that matter!

          >The issue I am wondering about was brought up to me by a herald. He
          >indicated to me that a name ending in "vich" meant "son of", which I knew.
          > However, I am a woman. Did this gender distinction really make a
          >difference in period? If so, what is the suffix for "daughter of"?

          -vich/-vic/-wicz is one of several masculine "patronymic" endings (-ov/-ow
          and -in/-yn being other common sets). There are feminine forms out there
          of course, but the question in period is complicated. Let's assume for a
          moment (and the assumption could be false) that Leovich is a patronymic
          ("son of Leo"). In that case, at some point in history there was a Leo who
          had sons and daughters and a wife too. But when did this name become a
          surname? And why? Surnames are VERY late constructs in Slavic
          languages. Russian doesn't start getting them until the late 16th
          century. Some of the earliest ones were patronymics that were inherited by
          later descendents of a famous ancestor. Perhaps, there is a very famous
          Leo out there and your ancestors chose to be known as the "descendants of
          Leo". In English, a similar history lies behind names like Johnson
          (there's a famous John back there somewhere) or Richardson. [BTW, Leovic
          could also mean "lion-like" or "the descendents of a lion" but we won't
          open that can of tuna right now]

          If Leo is alive and your Dad or husband you might want to feminize the
          patronymic (so that you are the "daughter/wife of" rather than the "son of"
          Leo). But if Leovic has already passed into use as a surname (and this
          would be very very late period) then you would just want to feminize the
          ending.

          I can't speak for Balkan naming practices (someone else will have to give
          you that), but you really have two options:
          1) You're related to an actual Leo
          2) You're a descendent of a Leo and it is your family name already.
          [For those who are interested, in Russian, #1 would be Leova or Leovna; #2
          would be Leovicha]

          So, which one are you? :)

          -- Paul
        • Nenad Lockic
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 14, 2004
            Variants

            Leovich
            Liovich

            are same family name but in different dialect (Liovich is "ikavica" dialect
            common in Dalmatia).

            Lijovich could be the wrong transcript because in usually speak between two
            vocals often occurs a voice similar to "mute j" (correct: bio = he/she/it
            was; incorrect = bijo; etc.).
            Also, Lijovich could came from "lija" (lisica = fox).

            Liovich also could be Slavic transcript of English reading of Leovich.

            Family names came very late. And only Bulgarian and Macedonian peoples of
            south Slavic have variants for woman's family names (Levov, Levski > Levova,
            Levska, Levovska). Unofficial variants in 19. century at Serbs (sometimes
            still using in common speak) were -chka (for married women) and -cheva (for
            still unmarried girls): Petrovichka, Petrovicheva.

            I think that in medieval times south Slavic women (as first I think on
            Croats and Serbs) subscribes only with names, relation and related status:
            her name (Maria, Helena, etc.), relation (the daughter, the wife, the
            widow), his name (Petar, Ivan, etc.), his status and/or title (the lord of,
            etc.). Croat nobles put "pl." (plemeniti) before the family names (for
            example: pl. Leovich).

            So, if you wish to translate family name from later to earlier time when it
            not existed, I think that is better to not make any special suffix for
            famine family name. If you wish, then you can use Leovicheva (similar to
            other Slavic people). I think that it is not good solution.

            Regards,
            Nenad
          • Kythe
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 14, 2004
              --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Nenad Lockic" <lockey@v...> wrote:
              > Variants
              >
              >And only Bulgarian and Macedonian peoples of
              > south Slavic have variants for woman's family names (Levov, Levski
              > Levova, Levska, Levovska).

              I've also been told -ski is a title of Nobility but that
              predominately it was added to peoples names in the 19th century
              because it was the fashion/ Probably 1 in 10 -ski's are legitimate
              nobility.

              Unofficial variants in 19. century at Serbs (sometimes
              > still using in common speak) were -chka (for married women) and -
              cheva (for
              > still unmarried girls): Petrovichka

              Ok on another tangent, would I be correct in this breakdown of
              Szubielka

              Szuba - is the Rootname
              iel- unsure of this part
              ka- perhaps Son of? (there's no ch, so I thought that might change
              the breakdown).
            • Kresimir Zeravica
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 14, 2004
                >> Family names came very late. And only Bulgarian and
                > Macedonian peoples of
                > south Slavic have variants for woman's family names

                That is interesting but how about some of the
                prominent noble families and also non noble families
                that have come from tribal names and or names of
                places. For instance I know for sure that around the
                14oo or so my last name Zeravica was the last name of
                two related tribes from around Boka Kotorska one
                "tribe" named Martinovi Zeravice and the other
                Zeravice...the two were split from one presumably by
                Martins part of the family leaving to the Knin area
                (Vrlika to be exact) and starting life there for that
                part of the family. And as far as the other example
                concerned Nikola Subic Zrinski and Fran Krsto
                Frankopan (Mid 17 century for both) as two of the most
                prominent politycal martirs of Croatia of all times.
                Nikola Subic Zrinski has two last names ...First one
                is Subic which is the name of the Tribe he came out of
                and then Zrinski which is the name where his tribe
                lived. Fran Krsto Frankopan has a first, middle and
                last name, the last name is the name of his Tribe.

                And then Matja Gubec the leader of the major "Peasant
                Revolt" from the 1400 as well, a commoner that was sat
                on a searing hot throne in Zagreb and crowned with a
                equally searing iron crown and then he was quartered
                for everyone to see what fait leaders of revolts will
                have...but he had a last name probably tribe name.

                Lijovic could be a name of one of the "lesser" tribes
                in Croatia from who knows when or some family from
                Livno one of the royal cedes of the early Croatian
                Kingdom...or indeed it could be as you said that it
                might be derivet from: the Like a fox, in croatian
                culture the fox is a shrewd, wise and dangerous
                opponent to have.

                > I think that in medieval times south Slavic women
                > (as first I think on
                > Croats and Serbs) subscribes only with names,
                > relation and related status:
                > her name (Maria, Helena, etc.), relation (the
                > daughter, the wife, the
                > widow), his name (Petar, Ivan, etc.), his status
                > and/or title (the lord of,
                > etc.). Croat nobles put "pl." (plemeniti) before
                > the family names (for
                > example: pl. Leovich).

                The added plemeniti to a name is used only when a
                commoner achieves the status of smaller nobilty
                through masterful work in whatever field or some great
                favor to a noble or whatever...I have a buddy that is
                actually from such a family and he still has the
                certificate given to his ancestor :) it is really
                cool.

                Katarina Zrinska...the wife of Nikola Subic Zrinski
                was from a hungarian noble family, but she is refered
                to as Katarina Zrinska. So Lidija's name would be
                probably Lidija Lijovicha with the meaning of "Lidija
                od Lijovica" that would be translated possibly as
                belonging to the Lijovic tribe.

                http://messenger.yahoo.com/
              • Lydia Towery
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 16, 2004
                  Thank all of you SO much for helping me with this...

                  In summary, do you think I can get Lidija Lijovicha past a Herald? I
                  usually add "de Ragusa" to the end of my name, as I wanted to take a
                  little creative liberty with the placement of my personae (even
                  though I know the family name is from Livno). I have been to
                  Dubrovnik and know more about it in period than I do about Livno.
                  St. Blaise is the patron saint of both spinners and Ragusa, which I
                  liked too.

                  Thanks for the advice. Hope to see you all at Pennsic!

                  --Lydia