Need info please

  • dmp71@juno.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10, 2004
      Hello,

      I joined the SCA about 3 mos ago, and I have chosen a 12th C. Russian
      persona from Kiev. I go by Iriniia, and have just found a surname that
      interests me. The masculine is Kiianin. I have two questions about this
      name. First, I'm assuming that the feminine form would be Kiianina. Is
      this correct? And second, if it is correct, how would it be pronouced?
      I'm thinking either kya NEE nah or kee ah NEE nah. Could someone please
      instruct me?

      Thank you,

      Iriniia

      Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • Paul W. Goldschmidt
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 12, 2004
        My understanding is that Kiianina would be acceptable. It follows the
        rules for feminizing bynames. Keep in mind that it would mean
        "wife/daughter of a [male] Kievan" NOT "female Kievan".

        As for pronunciation, I believe it would be:

        kee-YAN-in-ah

      • dmp71@juno.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 12, 2004
          >My understanding is that Kiianina would be acceptable. It follows the
          >rules for feminizing bynames. Keep in mind that it would mean
          >"wife/daughter of a [male] Kievan" NOT "female Kievan".
          >
          >As for pronunciation, I believe it would be:
          >
          >kee-YAN-in-ah

          Excellent. Thank you so much. Wife/daughter of a male Kievan is an
          appropriate designation for my persona, so no problem there. Thank you
          again.