General Info on Croatia...

  • Kresimir
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10, 2004
      I have bought a book from half price book store a couple weeks ago
      and have been browsing trough it since. The covers are black and on
      the front there is a small white church Sveti Spas fron Nin. The
      title is: Croatia in the early Middle Ages - a cultural survey. It
      is an edition from the year 1999 and was released by the Croatian
      Academy of Sciences and Arts...and yes it is translated in english
      by the Philip Wilson Publishers, London, 1999. it contains a little
      bit over 600 pages that cover history, culture, language and
      literature, fine arts, music, science and philosophy of the croatian
      people up to the 12-13 century ad. I paid 20 bucks for it at half
      books and records so you might want to check there first :)...
      and the other part of the good news about this is, it is only volume
      1 from a planned set of 5 called Croatia and Europe. The only bad
      part of all of this is there is no talk about garb anywhere but from
      the fresco's and paintings shown it looks just like any period
      fresco from Italy or France or whatever.

      So Croats from this site old and new, I would suggest you get your
      rear into gear and go buy it...you won't be sorry.
    • Lydia Towery
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 2004
        You got a great deal on that book. I think I paid $99 for my copy!

        --Lydia

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Kresimir" <tonicwgin@y...> wrote:
        > I have bought a book from half price book store a couple weeks ago
        > and have been browsing trough it since. The covers are black and on
        > the front there is a small white church Sveti Spas fron Nin. The
        > title is: Croatia in the early Middle Ages - a cultural survey. It
        > is an edition from the year 1999 and was released by the Croatian
        > Academy of Sciences and Arts...and yes it is translated in english
        > by the Philip Wilson Publishers, London, 1999. it contains a little
        > bit over 600 pages that cover history, culture, language and
        > literature, fine arts, music, science and philosophy of the
        croatian
        > people up to the 12-13 century ad. I paid 20 bucks for it at half
        > books and records so you might want to check there first :)...
        > and the other part of the good news about this is, it is only
        volume
        > 1 from a planned set of 5 called Croatia and Europe. The only bad
        > part of all of this is there is no talk about garb anywhere but
        from
        > the fresco's and paintings shown it looks just like any period
        > fresco from Italy or France or whatever.
        >
        > So Croats from this site old and new, I would suggest you get your
        > rear into gear and go buy it...you won't be sorry.
      • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 2004
          > You got a great deal on that book. I think I paid $99 for my copy!

          David Brown Books has Croatia in the Early Middle Ages on sale at $19.98
          right now.
          http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/24419

          "Fairy tales are not true--fairy tales are important, and they are not
          true, they are more than true. Not because they tell us that dragons
          exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be defeated."
          -- G.K. Chesterton