Intro and Plea for Garb help

  • Marina Olganova de Thoting Gravenel
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2004
      Sdratsvootsye! Meenya zavoot Pomestnitsa Marina Olganova vlyeThoting
      Gravenel.

      Myself and my lord, Pomestnik Ivan Ivanovich vlyeKiev live in
      Insulae Draconis, in the Kingdom of Drachenwald (m.Ireland, Europe)
      and we're trying to develop more garb. But I'm not finding a lot of
      good stuff online for our period, which btw is 1540s-1550s.

      What we've been doing so far is focussing on our Tudor outfits (my
      persona's mother, though bearing me in Russia, came from England and
      now I'm back in the land of her birth to look up her old friends
      and, more importantly, her old enemies). But I really do want to
      start working on more Slavic looks.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated, and photos afterwards shared!

      Spaseeba

      Marinka
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2004
        Strasvytzha from the Midrealm, a mythical place in
        the larger Slavic World that we all live in!
        My name is Mordak Timofeivich Rostovskogo ('dak)
        and that's my period your talking about and my
        specialty, Russian costuming. There are several levels
        you can do, from peasant up to Boiar/Boiaryniia but
        most start off simple. as you've found out,
        information is currrently "thin on the ground",
        however, if you will send me you're address, I'll send
        you my starter Russian costuming packet, which I have
        done gladly for most of the other interested members.
        Until then, Predslava has an excellent site on the
        Russian Knowledge pages of the SIG website as does
        Sofya de Rus. Soraya and her apprentice, Luidmilla,
        make trullyexquisite hats, with how to links on the
        web, and several of tyhe other members have do
        oustanding work and written articles in SLOVO about
        it. There are many, many excellent costumer in SIG
        currently so don't be shy to contact folks, we all
        share information freely and for free in most cases. I
        think that's on of SIG's very bwst customs and sets us
        apat fom many other groups.
        I can't speak for anyone else, but what are the
        Irish SCA groups like? More specifically, what's it
        like being a slavic psona in Ireland? I'm very curious
        but I'll definitely understand if you don't feel
        comfortable answering.
        'dak

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 10, 2004
          Greetings Fellow SIG members:
          I used to do this all the time but mundania
          intervened in a massive way until recently. I used to
          provide a complete starter packet free of charge on
          demand but temporary poverty interrupted my project.
          However, if you would like one, read on.
          'dak

          Sure. Send me the SAS manila envelope slightly larger
          than letter sized (+ 8.5 X 11) with postage between
          1.80-2.00. I'll get the copying cost but postage adds
          up. This offer is for all interested parties, under
          these terms. For those who will be at Pennsic, I'm
          teaching two classes on Russian Costuming in the Time
          of Ivan the Terrible, 8/15 4pm AS4 & 8/16 2pm
          AS4.
          Send to :
          Tim Nalley
          2089 Iuka Avenue