headdresses for 11th Century

  • natalia
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2004
      Greetings!

      I've been working on my 11th Century garb for a while and neglecting to cover
      my hair, but honestly, as I approach my 29th birthday, I think it's time I started
      covering my head.

      Now, I've checked out most of the SIG website links, but I'm still not quite
      getting the skull-cap type piece that goes under the veil. I'm understanding
      why it's there, just not quite how to pattern it.

      Does anyone have any suggestions? Obviously, because there are some
      explicit graphic-less descriptions on the net, I'm looking for a drawing or
      pattern sketch. I'm having problems converting descriptions into drawings.

      As well, I'd like to double check on my understanding of the rest of the set-up
      for headdresses in 11th century. (Forgive my lack of proper names, I'm in an
      anti-histimine induced fog right now)

      There's the skullcap part that all the hair goes in (which on me is quite
      substantial).
      Then the veil part that crosses over at the back, pinning at the nape(?)
      Then the headband-y part that hold the whole thing on...

      Does that headband piece need to be as large as I've seen some? Is it even
      appropriate to 11th Century? I'd rather start small, after all... I've been kicking
      around the SCA as an Irishwoman who could have her head uncovered for a
      long time, so even covering my head is a huge step for me.

      Any help and direction would be very appreciated!

      In Service,
      Natal'ia Volkovicha