RE: [sig] Re: Costuming Questions

  • R.J. Clarke
    Message 1 of 11 , May 20 6:09 PM
      Greetings!!

      Absolutely.

      In my various trips to the region I have travelled through much of the
      Balkan region and up to Hungary and found that much of the "cultural" event
      clothes in the Serbian, Slovakian, Croatian and Hungarian areas are very
      similar in design. I specifically exclude Bosnia and Herczegovina from this
      list since it has serious Muslim tones for clothing (go figure) but you
      could not tell them apart from any of the others listed here by looking at
      them day to day.

      The main differences I noted in the few museums (castles) that I visited
      were in the materials and color. The "rich" would have bright fine woven
      clothing while the "peasents" would have plain grey or other natural,
      locally produced color, in generally wool or other course material.

      For best or possibly easier research on the clothing, I might suggest
      checking out Italian on the Western side, German in the north, Greek or
      Turkish in the south (or for Muslim based Slav) and may be Russia through
      the Hermitage museum.

      Gospodar Robert
      R.J.
      DRAGOONS!!!
      audax et celer

      >I get a sense that styles defined as 'cultural' or 'proper' applied
      >more to celebrations and formal (religious) event wear and not to
      >what was actually worn day-to-day. People wore what was available,
      >comfortable and practical, drawing from dozens of diverse cultures.

      MSN Premium includes powerful parental controls and get 2 months FREE*