Re: Costuming Questions

  • Cid
    Message 1 of 11 , May 20, 2004
      Ah, I would like to thank everyone so far on their input. I've been
      doing a lot of reading *rubs eyes* and have put somethings together
      from what I've read. I would like to say a special thank you to
      Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova for all of her help. She emailed me
      privatly and has answered a lot of my questions. Hopefully with
      Warlord getting underway next week I'll get some pictures taken so
      that I can get some oppinions on them. So far the people here are
      very impressed.

      Thanks again,
      Irina Radokovaia
    • R.J. Clarke
      Message 2 of 11 , May 20, 2004
        Greetings!!

        Absolutely.

        In my various trips to the region I have travelled through much of the
        Balkan region and up to Hungary and found that much of the "cultural" event
        clothes in the Serbian, Slovakian, Croatian and Hungarian areas are very
        similar in design. I specifically exclude Bosnia and Herczegovina from this
        list since it has serious Muslim tones for clothing (go figure) but you
        could not tell them apart from any of the others listed here by looking at
        them day to day.

        The main differences I noted in the few museums (castles) that I visited
        were in the materials and color. The "rich" would have bright fine woven
        clothing while the "peasents" would have plain grey or other natural,
        locally produced color, in generally wool or other course material.

        For best or possibly easier research on the clothing, I might suggest
        checking out Italian on the Western side, German in the north, Greek or
        Turkish in the south (or for Muslim based Slav) and may be Russia through
        the Hermitage museum.

        Gospodar Robert
        R.J.
        DRAGOONS!!!
        audax et celer

        >I get a sense that styles defined as 'cultural' or 'proper' applied
        >more to celebrations and formal (religious) event wear and not to
        >what was actually worn day-to-day. People wore what was available,
        >comfortable and practical, drawing from dozens of diverse cultures.

        MSN Premium includes powerful parental controls and get 2 months FREE*