Long with lots of Questions

  • Reebus
    Message 1 of 2 , May 19 3:21 PM
      Hey, I just joined the interest group so forgive me for being a newbie.

      As background: I come from a family that is now about 50% Slavic, my great
      Grandmother and father were both Yugoslavian and immigrated either with
      their parents or on their own sometime in the late 19th to early 20th
      century, since then the family has been fairly concerned with their
      heritage, up until my parents of course, which only remember what their
      parents have told them and have done very little of their own research. I
      assume the inquisitive gene skips a generation as now I've become incredibly
      fascinated by Croatian/Yugoslavian society throughout history, and since you
      guys know Slavic subjects like the back of your hand - I was wondering if I
      could ask a few questions and then perhaps follow those up with some deeper
      reading?

      I intend on joining the SCA very soon (in fact, as soon as I get my garb and
      group together) and wish to play a late 13th century Croatian persona. I
      have found very little information on the dress of the Baltic States, but
      even less on the garb of Croatian peasants and nobility and if some
      patterns, pictures, or books could be recommended to me for that, I'd be
      very grateful.

      Since I'm but a spry teen, of course I'm interested in becoming a fighter
      and unfortunately I have found only a single website with a feature on
      Croatian military dress. The drawings I assume are unreliable, as the
      particular 13th century one, labeled "13th Century Croatian Horseman shows
      him wearing a Norman helm, carrying a kite shield, and having a large patch
      of chain mail covering his mouth. (particular picture here
      http://public.srce.hr/husar/Croatian%20Cavalryman%2013th%20Cent.jpg )

      I also know that typically fighters don't epitomize historical accuracy, but
      personally, I'd like to do the best I can with this fairly unknown group,
      even if it sacrifices some mobility. Having a challenger question my origins
      and compliment my style is far more rewarding to me than just throwing cloth
      over hockey armor.

      Finally, I am a writer (haven't you noticed) and intend to really pump out
      as much as I can for my persona (sans the goofy interjections) so, once
      again, if someone could recommend Croatian or Yugoslavian biographies in
      English that I could read, I'd be eternally grateful, especially if said
      biographies centered around far traveling or well educated members of the
      society. I really want to take this far, and intend to ask a trillion more
      questions once I get started (oh boy) so hopefully this won't be my only
      post to the SIG.

      Unless you hate me so much I can never come back J

      PS/Bonus Question: My last name is Bozich, which I know is Croatian, but
      since birth I have been told that I am of Yugoslavian heritage. In fact, my
      Grandparents and father even went so far as to go to the local Yugoslavian
      church, which was different than the church the Croatians of the area went
      to. I understand a bit about the religious differences of the groups, but if
      someone could really enlighten me as to why this could have happened, I'd
      sing high praises. (I already said I'd be eternally grateful, I guess
      singing high praises is just as good)
    • Patrick Levesque
      Message 2 of 2 , May 19 6:23 PM
        Hi! Welcome to the SCA!

        I'm no expert on Croatio or Yugoslavia; however, concernings weapons and
        armor, you may want to consult David Nicolle's 'Arms & Armour of the
        Crusading Era 1050-1350'.

        One volume focuses on Western Europe and the Crusader States; the other on
        Islam, Eastern Europe and Asia. The latter has got information on Serbia and
        Bulgaria, so I guess Croatia would appear in the first volume. (Which I
        don't actually own, alas! One of my friend ordered it, but received instead
        the second volume, wrapped in the first volume's cover... Anyway...)

        The book is published by Greenhill Books. It is available on Amazon. If you
        don't live too far from Montreal feel free to borrow it.

        Petru cel Paros Voda
        Shire of L'ile du Dragon Dormant, East Kingdom
        (Montreal, Qc, Canada)