Re: Costuming Questions

  • Kinjal of Moravia
    Message 1 of 11 , May 19, 2004
      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "redlocks999" <redlocks999@y...> wrote:
      > I hear your frustration with trying to be as accurate as possible.
      > Unfortunately it's not always possible or practical

      The more I research (including personal letters)into clothing styles
      along the Varengian River Routes (Caspian to Baltic Seas), the more
      I get a sense that styles defined as 'cultural' or 'proper' applied
      more to celebrations and formal (religious) event wear and not to
      what was actually worn day-to-day. People wore what was available,
      comfortable and practical, drawing from dozens of diverse cultures.
      So "accurate" may be an affectation -- which is fine for a hobby,
      but not something to get hung up on.

      This is similar to eating Chinese food in the USA. What we
      consider 'normal fair' is actually rare celebration food in most of
      China, yet, if one used most cookbooks (hundreds of years from now)
      as a guide, you would get a completely false impression of what was
      actually eaten.

      just a view from a 'non-Slavic' person

      kinjal
    • Kresimir Zeravica
      Message 2 of 11 , May 19, 2004
        --- Kinjal of Moravia <gusarimagic@...> wrote:
        > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "redlocks999"
        > <redlocks999@y...> wrote:
        > > I hear your frustration with trying to be as
        > accurate as possible.
        > > Unfortunately it's not always possible or
        > practical

        > The more I research (including personal letters)into
        > clothing styles
        > along the Varengian River Routes (Caspian to Baltic
        > Seas), the more
        > I get a sense that styles defined as 'cultural' or
        > 'proper' applied
        > more to celebrations and formal (religious) event
        > wear and not to
        > what was actually worn day-to-day. People wore what
        > was available,
        > comfortable and practical, drawing from dozens of
        > diverse cultures.

        Well in my opinion you are right...the garb as we call
        it would be the one suit for festivities and weddings
        and fairs and so on, in a peasant's household that is.
        But on the other hand the variety of cultural
        influence varies from place to place. Most of the
        people in those times had no outside intercultural
        exchanges due to a lack of movement. Some people, or
        better say most people, never left their homestead.
        Well maybe going to town 5-10 kilometers away, for a
        fair on 1-5 days a year would be the exeption. Cities
        would be another story however, especially if it was a
        coastal trading spot, for obvious reasons. And also
        lets not forget that certain fashions have broken the
        cultural "barrier". From as early as the classical
        period (roman empire) you have the Dalmatica...or the
        overcoat that was worn by the Illiric tribes of
        Dalmatia that stayed as a fashionable garment all the
        way into the 14 hundreads (if I am not mistaking) all
        over the Medditeranean, with only minor changes to it.
        Also the Krackaw's, or shoes that have been the hight
        of fashion all over europe in the 12-13 hundreads.

        > just a view from a 'non-Slavic' person
        >
        > kinjal

        http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/
      • Cid
        Message 3 of 11 , May 20, 2004
          Ah, I would like to thank everyone so far on their input. I've been
          doing a lot of reading *rubs eyes* and have put somethings together
          from what I've read. I would like to say a special thank you to
          Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova for all of her help. She emailed me
          privatly and has answered a lot of my questions. Hopefully with
          Warlord getting underway next week I'll get some pictures taken so
          that I can get some oppinions on them. So far the people here are
          very impressed.

          Thanks again,
          Irina Radokovaia
        • R.J. Clarke
          Message 4 of 11 , May 20, 2004
            Greetings!!

            Absolutely.

            In my various trips to the region I have travelled through much of the
            Balkan region and up to Hungary and found that much of the "cultural" event
            clothes in the Serbian, Slovakian, Croatian and Hungarian areas are very
            similar in design. I specifically exclude Bosnia and Herczegovina from this
            list since it has serious Muslim tones for clothing (go figure) but you
            could not tell them apart from any of the others listed here by looking at
            them day to day.

            The main differences I noted in the few museums (castles) that I visited
            were in the materials and color. The "rich" would have bright fine woven
            clothing while the "peasents" would have plain grey or other natural,
            locally produced color, in generally wool or other course material.

            For best or possibly easier research on the clothing, I might suggest
            checking out Italian on the Western side, German in the north, Greek or
            Turkish in the south (or for Muslim based Slav) and may be Russia through
            the Hermitage museum.

            Gospodar Robert
            R.J.
            DRAGOONS!!!
            audax et celer

            >I get a sense that styles defined as 'cultural' or 'proper' applied
            >more to celebrations and formal (religious) event wear and not to
            >what was actually worn day-to-day. People wore what was available,
            >comfortable and practical, drawing from dozens of diverse cultures.

            MSN Premium includes powerful parental controls and get 2 months FREE*