interesting website

  • susannah53
    Message 1 of 2 , May 7 12:54 PM
      http://www.abbeymuseum.asn.au/
      This website was shared on a museum listserv I belong to. Thought
      the medieval village and tournament looked intriguing. Alas that I
      probably will never get to Australia; I'd like to check this museum
      out!

      Susannah
    • Meroe
      Message 2 of 2 , May 11 1:40 AM
        I've attended the tournament at Abbey Museum 3 times (although not in the last 2 years, for various reasons).

        The museum itself has a good collection, although not comparable with the big museums in Europe or America.

        The tournament is held one weekend a year. There are two sections to it- the marketplace, where there are stalls of various historical and non-historical products, and the re-enactors section.

        Quite a few different re-enactment groups take part in the tournament. Some are metal weapons groups, but for 2 years I attended with a barony of the SCA (St Florian de la Riviere). St Florian's works hard to present a campsite depicting the late 15th- early 16th centuries, and has always set a high standard for this event.The standards between groups varies, although the Abbey Museum does set a minimum standard.

        There are also lectures and demonstrations.

        Currently the medieval village project is only plans. The castle that you can see in many of the photos is set up each year, and is not a permanent structure.

        Overall, it is a great weekend to take part in, and lots of fun for spectators too. But it probably isn't worth flying to Australia just for this!

        Meroe/Rohese