Re: Costuming Questions

  • redlocks999
    Message 1 of 11 , May 6, 2004
      I hear your frustration with trying to be as accurate as possible.
      Unfortunately it's not always possible or practical I mean who is going to use (or can
      afford) real silk brocade all the time? I personally work with linen and wool for the most
      part. Take a look at your persona for hints as to what they might have worn. For instance
      what century are you most interested in? Was velvet available during that time? Are you
      middle class, a peasant, city dweller, merchant or a country woman? All wore and had
      access to different colors, fabrics and furs ( I use Faux Fur.) My persona also has been
      somewhat difficult to research not a lot ( at least in my experience thus far) was written
      about women in the early centuries. I try not to focus (to much) on the historical accuracy
      of my work but the quality of my sewing and believe me that's hard enough! : )
      Anyway your not alone join a local costuming guild or sewing circle I have found people
      are always willing to offer advice.

      Happy Sewing, Julia 0 ; )

      http://medievalrussia.freeservers.com/dress.html
      http://sca-garb.freeservers.com/articles/sarafan.html
    • Kinjal of Moravia
      Message 2 of 11 , May 19, 2004
        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "redlocks999" <redlocks999@y...> wrote:
        > I hear your frustration with trying to be as accurate as possible.
        > Unfortunately it's not always possible or practical

        The more I research (including personal letters)into clothing styles
        along the Varengian River Routes (Caspian to Baltic Seas), the more
        I get a sense that styles defined as 'cultural' or 'proper' applied
        more to celebrations and formal (religious) event wear and not to
        what was actually worn day-to-day. People wore what was available,
        comfortable and practical, drawing from dozens of diverse cultures.
        So "accurate" may be an affectation -- which is fine for a hobby,
        but not something to get hung up on.

        This is similar to eating Chinese food in the USA. What we
        consider 'normal fair' is actually rare celebration food in most of
        China, yet, if one used most cookbooks (hundreds of years from now)
        as a guide, you would get a completely false impression of what was
        actually eaten.

        just a view from a 'non-Slavic' person

        kinjal
      • Kresimir Zeravica
        Message 3 of 11 , May 19, 2004
          --- Kinjal of Moravia <gusarimagic@...> wrote:
          > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "redlocks999"
          > <redlocks999@y...> wrote:
          > > I hear your frustration with trying to be as
          > accurate as possible.
          > > Unfortunately it's not always possible or
          > practical

          > The more I research (including personal letters)into
          > clothing styles
          > along the Varengian River Routes (Caspian to Baltic
          > Seas), the more
          > I get a sense that styles defined as 'cultural' or
          > 'proper' applied
          > more to celebrations and formal (religious) event
          > wear and not to
          > what was actually worn day-to-day. People wore what
          > was available,
          > comfortable and practical, drawing from dozens of
          > diverse cultures.

          Well in my opinion you are right...the garb as we call
          it would be the one suit for festivities and weddings
          and fairs and so on, in a peasant's household that is.
          But on the other hand the variety of cultural
          influence varies from place to place. Most of the
          people in those times had no outside intercultural
          exchanges due to a lack of movement. Some people, or
          better say most people, never left their homestead.
          Well maybe going to town 5-10 kilometers away, for a
          fair on 1-5 days a year would be the exeption. Cities
          would be another story however, especially if it was a
          coastal trading spot, for obvious reasons. And also
          lets not forget that certain fashions have broken the
          cultural "barrier". From as early as the classical
          period (roman empire) you have the Dalmatica...or the
          overcoat that was worn by the Illiric tribes of
          Dalmatia that stayed as a fashionable garment all the
          way into the 14 hundreads (if I am not mistaking) all
          over the Medditeranean, with only minor changes to it.
          Also the Krackaw's, or shoes that have been the hight
          of fashion all over europe in the 12-13 hundreads.

          > just a view from a 'non-Slavic' person
          >
          > kinjal

          http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/
        • Cid
          Message 4 of 11 , May 20, 2004
            Ah, I would like to thank everyone so far on their input. I've been
            doing a lot of reading *rubs eyes* and have put somethings together
            from what I've read. I would like to say a special thank you to
            Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova for all of her help. She emailed me
            privatly and has answered a lot of my questions. Hopefully with
            Warlord getting underway next week I'll get some pictures taken so
            that I can get some oppinions on them. So far the people here are
            very impressed.

            Thanks again,
            Irina Radokovaia
          • R.J. Clarke
            Message 5 of 11 , May 20, 2004
              Greetings!!

              Absolutely.

              In my various trips to the region I have travelled through much of the
              Balkan region and up to Hungary and found that much of the "cultural" event
              clothes in the Serbian, Slovakian, Croatian and Hungarian areas are very
              similar in design. I specifically exclude Bosnia and Herczegovina from this
              list since it has serious Muslim tones for clothing (go figure) but you
              could not tell them apart from any of the others listed here by looking at
              them day to day.

              The main differences I noted in the few museums (castles) that I visited
              were in the materials and color. The "rich" would have bright fine woven
              clothing while the "peasents" would have plain grey or other natural,
              locally produced color, in generally wool or other course material.

              For best or possibly easier research on the clothing, I might suggest
              checking out Italian on the Western side, German in the north, Greek or
              Turkish in the south (or for Muslim based Slav) and may be Russia through
              the Hermitage museum.

              Gospodar Robert
              R.J.
              DRAGOONS!!!
              audax et celer

              >I get a sense that styles defined as 'cultural' or 'proper' applied
              >more to celebrations and formal (religious) event wear and not to
              >what was actually worn day-to-day. People wore what was available,
              >comfortable and practical, drawing from dozens of diverse cultures.

              MSN Premium includes powerful parental controls and get 2 months FREE*