Re: Costuming Questions

  • Cid
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2004
      I wanted to clear up some misconceptions I had, and another person
      was gracious enough to lend her knowledge. At this moment my
      immediate questions have been satisfied, though I'm sure that now
      school is finished till September, I'll come up with a dozen more.
      You offer is appreciated though.

      --Irina
    • redlocks999
      Message 2 of 11 , May 6, 2004
        I hear your frustration with trying to be as accurate as possible.
        Unfortunately it's not always possible or practical I mean who is going to use (or can
        afford) real silk brocade all the time? I personally work with linen and wool for the most
        part. Take a look at your persona for hints as to what they might have worn. For instance
        what century are you most interested in? Was velvet available during that time? Are you
        middle class, a peasant, city dweller, merchant or a country woman? All wore and had
        access to different colors, fabrics and furs ( I use Faux Fur.) My persona also has been
        somewhat difficult to research not a lot ( at least in my experience thus far) was written
        about women in the early centuries. I try not to focus (to much) on the historical accuracy
        of my work but the quality of my sewing and believe me that's hard enough! : )
        Anyway your not alone join a local costuming guild or sewing circle I have found people
        are always willing to offer advice.

        Happy Sewing, Julia 0 ; )

        http://medievalrussia.freeservers.com/dress.html
        http://sca-garb.freeservers.com/articles/sarafan.html
      • Kinjal of Moravia
        Message 3 of 11 , May 19, 2004
          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "redlocks999" <redlocks999@y...> wrote:
          > I hear your frustration with trying to be as accurate as possible.
          > Unfortunately it's not always possible or practical

          The more I research (including personal letters)into clothing styles
          along the Varengian River Routes (Caspian to Baltic Seas), the more
          I get a sense that styles defined as 'cultural' or 'proper' applied
          more to celebrations and formal (religious) event wear and not to
          what was actually worn day-to-day. People wore what was available,
          comfortable and practical, drawing from dozens of diverse cultures.
          So "accurate" may be an affectation -- which is fine for a hobby,
          but not something to get hung up on.

          This is similar to eating Chinese food in the USA. What we
          consider 'normal fair' is actually rare celebration food in most of
          China, yet, if one used most cookbooks (hundreds of years from now)
          as a guide, you would get a completely false impression of what was
          actually eaten.

          just a view from a 'non-Slavic' person

          kinjal
        • Kresimir Zeravica
          Message 4 of 11 , May 19, 2004
            --- Kinjal of Moravia <gusarimagic@...> wrote:
            > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "redlocks999"
            > <redlocks999@y...> wrote:
            > > I hear your frustration with trying to be as
            > accurate as possible.
            > > Unfortunately it's not always possible or
            > practical

            > The more I research (including personal letters)into
            > clothing styles
            > along the Varengian River Routes (Caspian to Baltic
            > Seas), the more
            > I get a sense that styles defined as 'cultural' or
            > 'proper' applied
            > more to celebrations and formal (religious) event
            > wear and not to
            > what was actually worn day-to-day. People wore what
            > was available,
            > comfortable and practical, drawing from dozens of
            > diverse cultures.

            Well in my opinion you are right...the garb as we call
            it would be the one suit for festivities and weddings
            and fairs and so on, in a peasant's household that is.
            But on the other hand the variety of cultural
            influence varies from place to place. Most of the
            people in those times had no outside intercultural
            exchanges due to a lack of movement. Some people, or
            better say most people, never left their homestead.
            Well maybe going to town 5-10 kilometers away, for a
            fair on 1-5 days a year would be the exeption. Cities
            would be another story however, especially if it was a
            coastal trading spot, for obvious reasons. And also
            lets not forget that certain fashions have broken the
            cultural "barrier". From as early as the classical
            period (roman empire) you have the Dalmatica...or the
            overcoat that was worn by the Illiric tribes of
            Dalmatia that stayed as a fashionable garment all the
            way into the 14 hundreads (if I am not mistaking) all
            over the Medditeranean, with only minor changes to it.
            Also the Krackaw's, or shoes that have been the hight
            of fashion all over europe in the 12-13 hundreads.

            > just a view from a 'non-Slavic' person
            >
            > kinjal

            http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/
          • Cid
            Message 5 of 11 , May 20, 2004
              Ah, I would like to thank everyone so far on their input. I've been
              doing a lot of reading *rubs eyes* and have put somethings together
              from what I've read. I would like to say a special thank you to
              Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova for all of her help. She emailed me
              privatly and has answered a lot of my questions. Hopefully with
              Warlord getting underway next week I'll get some pictures taken so
              that I can get some oppinions on them. So far the people here are
              very impressed.

              Thanks again,
              Irina Radokovaia
            • R.J. Clarke
              Message 6 of 11 , May 20, 2004
                Greetings!!

                Absolutely.

                In my various trips to the region I have travelled through much of the
                Balkan region and up to Hungary and found that much of the "cultural" event
                clothes in the Serbian, Slovakian, Croatian and Hungarian areas are very
                similar in design. I specifically exclude Bosnia and Herczegovina from this
                list since it has serious Muslim tones for clothing (go figure) but you
                could not tell them apart from any of the others listed here by looking at
                them day to day.

                The main differences I noted in the few museums (castles) that I visited
                were in the materials and color. The "rich" would have bright fine woven
                clothing while the "peasents" would have plain grey or other natural,
                locally produced color, in generally wool or other course material.

                For best or possibly easier research on the clothing, I might suggest
                checking out Italian on the Western side, German in the north, Greek or
                Turkish in the south (or for Muslim based Slav) and may be Russia through
                the Hermitage museum.

                Gospodar Robert
                R.J.
                DRAGOONS!!!
                audax et celer

                >I get a sense that styles defined as 'cultural' or 'proper' applied
                >more to celebrations and formal (religious) event wear and not to
                >what was actually worn day-to-day. People wore what was available,
                >comfortable and practical, drawing from dozens of diverse cultures.

                MSN Premium includes powerful parental controls and get 2 months FREE*