Re: [sig] Re: Costuming Questions

    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2004
      Greetings,
      Well, it's a fluid field right now and that's
      precisely what I tell folks in my own costuming class.
      What's tue this year could change next year as more
      work is translated into english for the wider world
      market. Plus, soviet research was politically driven
      so much of it is currently being revised by the
      original authors themselves, again for the world wide
      market.
      What, exactly, is your period and location, as of
      now? Maybe I can help?
      'dak
      --- Cid <IrinaRadokovaia@...> wrote:

      > > My Lady, have you tried Predslava in Ansteorra?
      >
      > I asked several people and no one knew of anyone
      > else that did a
      > personia like what I was interested in. I'm affraid
      > that I have
      > never heard of Predslava.
      >
      > I've read a good deal of the information on the web
      > site, I would
      > never have been so absent-minded as to ignore those,
      > but it seems
      > that I must have read too many things, not a few of
      > them by people
      > who didn't really know what they were talking about
      > as they
      > contradict a lot of what I have found elsewhere.
      >
      > --Ira

    • Cid
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2004
        I wanted to clear up some misconceptions I had, and another person
        was gracious enough to lend her knowledge. At this moment my
        immediate questions have been satisfied, though I'm sure that now
        school is finished till September, I'll come up with a dozen more.
        You offer is appreciated though.

        --Irina
      • redlocks999
        Message 3 of 11 , May 6, 2004
          I hear your frustration with trying to be as accurate as possible.
          Unfortunately it's not always possible or practical I mean who is going to use (or can
          afford) real silk brocade all the time? I personally work with linen and wool for the most
          part. Take a look at your persona for hints as to what they might have worn. For instance
          what century are you most interested in? Was velvet available during that time? Are you
          middle class, a peasant, city dweller, merchant or a country woman? All wore and had
          access to different colors, fabrics and furs ( I use Faux Fur.) My persona also has been
          somewhat difficult to research not a lot ( at least in my experience thus far) was written
          about women in the early centuries. I try not to focus (to much) on the historical accuracy
          of my work but the quality of my sewing and believe me that's hard enough! : )
          Anyway your not alone join a local costuming guild or sewing circle I have found people
          are always willing to offer advice.

          Happy Sewing, Julia 0 ; )

          http://medievalrussia.freeservers.com/dress.html
          http://sca-garb.freeservers.com/articles/sarafan.html
        • Kinjal of Moravia
          Message 4 of 11 , May 19, 2004
            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "redlocks999" <redlocks999@y...> wrote:
            > I hear your frustration with trying to be as accurate as possible.
            > Unfortunately it's not always possible or practical

            The more I research (including personal letters)into clothing styles
            along the Varengian River Routes (Caspian to Baltic Seas), the more
            I get a sense that styles defined as 'cultural' or 'proper' applied
            more to celebrations and formal (religious) event wear and not to
            what was actually worn day-to-day. People wore what was available,
            comfortable and practical, drawing from dozens of diverse cultures.
            So "accurate" may be an affectation -- which is fine for a hobby,
            but not something to get hung up on.

            This is similar to eating Chinese food in the USA. What we
            consider 'normal fair' is actually rare celebration food in most of
            China, yet, if one used most cookbooks (hundreds of years from now)
            as a guide, you would get a completely false impression of what was
            actually eaten.

            just a view from a 'non-Slavic' person

            kinjal
          • Kresimir Zeravica
            Message 5 of 11 , May 19, 2004
              --- Kinjal of Moravia <gusarimagic@...> wrote:
              > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "redlocks999"
              > <redlocks999@y...> wrote:
              > > I hear your frustration with trying to be as
              > accurate as possible.
              > > Unfortunately it's not always possible or
              > practical

              > The more I research (including personal letters)into
              > clothing styles
              > along the Varengian River Routes (Caspian to Baltic
              > Seas), the more
              > I get a sense that styles defined as 'cultural' or
              > 'proper' applied
              > more to celebrations and formal (religious) event
              > wear and not to
              > what was actually worn day-to-day. People wore what
              > was available,
              > comfortable and practical, drawing from dozens of
              > diverse cultures.

              Well in my opinion you are right...the garb as we call
              it would be the one suit for festivities and weddings
              and fairs and so on, in a peasant's household that is.
              But on the other hand the variety of cultural
              influence varies from place to place. Most of the
              people in those times had no outside intercultural
              exchanges due to a lack of movement. Some people, or
              better say most people, never left their homestead.
              Well maybe going to town 5-10 kilometers away, for a
              fair on 1-5 days a year would be the exeption. Cities
              would be another story however, especially if it was a
              coastal trading spot, for obvious reasons. And also
              lets not forget that certain fashions have broken the
              cultural "barrier". From as early as the classical
              period (roman empire) you have the Dalmatica...or the
              overcoat that was worn by the Illiric tribes of
              Dalmatia that stayed as a fashionable garment all the
              way into the 14 hundreads (if I am not mistaking) all
              over the Medditeranean, with only minor changes to it.
              Also the Krackaw's, or shoes that have been the hight
              of fashion all over europe in the 12-13 hundreads.

              > just a view from a 'non-Slavic' person
              >
              > kinjal

              http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/
            • Cid
              Message 6 of 11 , May 20, 2004
                Ah, I would like to thank everyone so far on their input. I've been
                doing a lot of reading *rubs eyes* and have put somethings together
                from what I've read. I would like to say a special thank you to
                Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova for all of her help. She emailed me
                privatly and has answered a lot of my questions. Hopefully with
                Warlord getting underway next week I'll get some pictures taken so
                that I can get some oppinions on them. So far the people here are
                very impressed.

                Thanks again,
                Irina Radokovaia
              • R.J. Clarke
                Message 7 of 11 , May 20, 2004
                  Greetings!!

                  Absolutely.

                  In my various trips to the region I have travelled through much of the
                  Balkan region and up to Hungary and found that much of the "cultural" event
                  clothes in the Serbian, Slovakian, Croatian and Hungarian areas are very
                  similar in design. I specifically exclude Bosnia and Herczegovina from this
                  list since it has serious Muslim tones for clothing (go figure) but you
                  could not tell them apart from any of the others listed here by looking at
                  them day to day.

                  The main differences I noted in the few museums (castles) that I visited
                  were in the materials and color. The "rich" would have bright fine woven
                  clothing while the "peasents" would have plain grey or other natural,
                  locally produced color, in generally wool or other course material.

                  For best or possibly easier research on the clothing, I might suggest
                  checking out Italian on the Western side, German in the north, Greek or
                  Turkish in the south (or for Muslim based Slav) and may be Russia through
                  the Hermitage museum.

                  Gospodar Robert
                  R.J.
                  DRAGOONS!!!
                  audax et celer

                  >I get a sense that styles defined as 'cultural' or 'proper' applied
                  >more to celebrations and formal (religious) event wear and not to
                  >what was actually worn day-to-day. People wore what was available,
                  >comfortable and practical, drawing from dozens of diverse cultures.

                  MSN Premium includes powerful parental controls and get 2 months FREE*