Re: [sig] belt question: attaching bronze applications

  • P&MSulisz
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2004
      I can try but it is much more difficult ;)
      I thought my answer will be useless for the people outside of Poland.
      I simply advice Wojtek to go the local museums (in Cracow it is enough to go
      out of the home and you are face to face with the History) and check the
      artifacts. A lot of them were not published (or were with very poor
      ilustrations) - so you have to go and see them by your own eyes.
      Very usful could be also tho check local collections of old folk clothes.
      Very old technics were in usage for very long time among the 'cut of the
      outer world' villagers.
      There is a lot of examples of medieval belts here in Silesia - the most of
      interesting of them are those of the tomb effigies of the Piast dukes, the
      other come from the wooden full sculpture of saints and soldiers which were
      popular in local churches (as part of the "Crucifixion Road" ? - i don't
      know the right English word). The last ones are made in natural size, they
      wore detailed cloth (of XIV/XV c.) and sometimes even wigs from the natural
      hair. They simply look like the people from the distant past frozen for the
      eternity.
      Anyway I looked them (those belts) very carefully and don't think there were
      any false rivets on the belts ornaments. Rather real rivets are ornaments by
      itself. I assumed all of them were in the right place from the technical
      point of view. All the 'ornaments' are put in very logical way - it is very
      charcteristic for the medieval artifacts in general (as it was in the
      architecture). The materials were very expensive so the usage of them had to
      be carefully thought over.
      I recomend Wojtek to check some of the recently published detailed
      descriptions of "Sroda Slaska trasure". It could be very informative for
      everyone interested in medieval craftsmanship.
      I hope it helps.
      Magdalena z Wroclawia

      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2004
        Thanks.