[sig] belt question: attaching bronze applications

  • Wojciech Wilk
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30 12:41 PM
      Hello,
      Any one knows if Europeans from 1 to 1500 A.D.used one-piece
      elements (with fake rivets) to decorate their belts instead of riveting
      them to a belt? The only documentation I have are paintings in books
      on painting and some museum photos with no such details exposed.

      Thanks,

      Wojciech
      from Cracovia
    • Susan Koziel
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30 3:08 PM
        Hi,
        Can you post this in English too?
        I'm interested in the reply, but don't read any other
        language.
        -Kataryna
      • P&MSulisz
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2004
          Ogladalam uwaznie nagrobki ksiazat piastowskich w muzeum (az mnie chcieli
          gonic za te wnikliwosc) i dam glowe, ze to nie byly pseudo-nity ale czyse
          wymaganie techniczne. Warto postudiowac dokladne opracowanie nt.skrabu
          sredzkiego (zob.w ksiegarni MN na parterze) - jak te wszystkie zlotnicze
          fidryguszki - takie frymusne, az by sie wydawaly niepotrzebne - byly
          genialnie logicznie z technicznego punktu widzenia aby sie to wszystko
          trzymalo. Sredniowiecze to czas drogich surowcow a to wymaga precyzji i
          logiki w wykonaniu. Przyjrzyj sie tez wyrobom ludowym.
          M. z Wroclawia
          PS: tam jest tez tasma ponoc do paska -choc zlota- moze cie zaciekawic.
          > Any one knows if Europeans from 1 to 1500 A.D.used one-piece
          > elements (with fake rivets) to decorate their belts instead of riveting
          > them to a belt? The only documentation I have are paintings in books
          > on painting and some museum photos with no such details exposed.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Wojciech
          > from Cracovia
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • P&MSulisz
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2004
            I can try but it is much more difficult ;)
            I thought my answer will be useless for the people outside of Poland.
            I simply advice Wojtek to go the local museums (in Cracow it is enough to go
            out of the home and you are face to face with the History) and check the
            artifacts. A lot of them were not published (or were with very poor
            ilustrations) - so you have to go and see them by your own eyes.
            Very usful could be also tho check local collections of old folk clothes.
            Very old technics were in usage for very long time among the 'cut of the
            outer world' villagers.
            There is a lot of examples of medieval belts here in Silesia - the most of
            interesting of them are those of the tomb effigies of the Piast dukes, the
            other come from the wooden full sculpture of saints and soldiers which were
            popular in local churches (as part of the "Crucifixion Road" ? - i don't
            know the right English word). The last ones are made in natural size, they
            wore detailed cloth (of XIV/XV c.) and sometimes even wigs from the natural
            hair. They simply look like the people from the distant past frozen for the
            eternity.
            Anyway I looked them (those belts) very carefully and don't think there were
            any false rivets on the belts ornaments. Rather real rivets are ornaments by
            itself. I assumed all of them were in the right place from the technical
            point of view. All the 'ornaments' are put in very logical way - it is very
            charcteristic for the medieval artifacts in general (as it was in the
            architecture). The materials were very expensive so the usage of them had to
            be carefully thought over.
            I recomend Wojtek to check some of the recently published detailed
            descriptions of "Sroda Slaska trasure". It could be very informative for
            everyone interested in medieval craftsmanship.
            I hope it helps.
            Magdalena z Wroclawia

            > I'm interested in the reply, but don't read any other
            > language.
            > -Kataryna
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Susan Koziel