Ovens - bringing up the past

  • Susan Koziel
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2004
      A few years ago I recall in a discussion about bread
      ovens someone asking about the fact that clay discs
      were found in (or on top of) ovens in digs. (or
      something like that)...

      I may have a reason for them....
      From one of the ladies who bakes in a wood fired oven
      regularly out here:

      She uses bisqued clay disks to tell the oven
      temperature.

      Wet the clay disk & watch to see how & the time it
      takes for the disk to dry. This gives you an idea of
      the oven temperature.

      If you know your oven really well you don't have to
      open the oven up to figure out how hot it is inside -
      just place the disk on top of the oven. Of course for
      more accurate readings you might consider placing the
      disk inside the part of the oven you want to bake in &
      pulling it out to look (after a certian time).
      -Kataryna
    • lente@cableone.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 29, 2004
        Not the same culture but I will ask my MIL about this. We live in NM and the
        Pueblo Indians still regularly use Ornos (beehive shape wood-fired oven) to
        bake oven bread, flatbread cookies, and flatbread pies. A lot of the times
        for sale and for their families, of course. If will be at least monday
        before I have answer, or by the next weekend.

        I suppose the clay disks would be soaked for a couple of hours or for a
        ceratin time so that the 'temp and timing effect" would be similar each
        time.
        Kathws

        Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 11:51 AM
        > A few years ago I recall in a discussion about bread
        > ovens someone asking about the fact that clay discs
        > were found in (or on top of) ovens in digs. (or
        > something like that)...
        >
        > I may have a reason for them....
        > From one of the ladies who bakes in a wood fired oven
        > regularly out here:
        >
        > She uses bisqued clay disks to tell the oven
        > temperature.
        >
        > Wet the clay disk & watch to see how & the time it
        > takes for the disk to dry. This gives you an idea of
        > the oven temperature.
        >
        > If you know your oven really well you don't have to
        > open the oven up to figure out how hot it is inside -
        > just place the disk on top of the oven. Of course for
        > more accurate readings you might consider placing the
        > disk inside the part of the oven you want to bake in &
        > pulling it out to look (after a certian time).
        > -Kataryna
      • Nancy Douglas
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 29, 2004
          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, <lente@c...> wrote:
          > Not the same culture but I will ask my MIL about this. We live in
          NM and the

          Hello from someone else in New Mexico also on this list!

          YIS

          Haniya bat Baruch
          formerly Anne Douglas of the Seven Stars mka Nancy Douglas
          (505) 299-7883 squidgete88@...
          http://community.webshots.com/user/squidgete8
          See the books I've set free at:
          http://bookcrossing.com/referral/squidgete
          What good is money if I can't buy more books?
          Books, cats, hot tea, a gentle rain outside squidgete88 on eBay
          Argent, mulletty azure, a horseshoe sable
        • Alastair Millar
          Message 4 of 5 , May 20, 2004
            >A few years ago I recall in a discussion about bread
            >ovens someone asking about the fact that clay discs
            >were found in (or on top of) ovens in digs. (or
            >something like that)...

            That would have been me ;-)

            Many (belated) thanks for that suggestion, it is one that would never have
            occurred to me!

            Alastair

            Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons) - http://www.skriptorium.info
            P.O.Box 11, CZ 413 01 Roudnice, Czech Republic
          • Susan Koziel
            Message 5 of 5 , May 20, 2004
              It was just really weird how I got the info too.
              :)
              I was in the middle of discussing building a pottery
              kiln & how to process raw clay with my pottery
              instructor.
              Wood fired kilns & wood fired ovens can have a lot of
              similarities.
              :)

              -Kataryna