Re: Digest Number 1453

  • Marilyn Kinyon
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 25 7:09 AM
      Ukranian would be best..but Polish would. Thanks a bunch!
    • smithjc
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 25 7:15 AM
        Hello Marija:

        What language are you looking for? It may help us find variants/better
        spellings if we know where you're trying to go.

        Janos

        Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 17:24:13 -0000
        From: "Marilyn Kinyon" <lynx@...>
        Subject: name help?

        Greetings all, I think I finaly have a name I would like to submit
        (SCA). And am asking how I should word it?

        I am wanting Marija and the discriptive Znakharka. Would this be an
        appropriate combination? DO I need anything between the two? Thanks
        in Advance..Marija
      • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 28 1:00 PM
          > I don't know Ukarainian but you give a correct meaning of Polish term
          > 'znachorka' [znahorka]. But it is not a SCA period word - much newer. In SCA
          > period it would be rather "wiedzma" [viedshma] in English simply: the witch.
          > Please note that the name: Maryja [Marija] indicates in Poland only the ONE
          > divine person. Because of that the very name 'Maria' was not used untill
          > late XVII century.

          Interesting! My grandmother was called "Marisha"; would that variant have
          been in use in Poland before 1601?

          "Sometimes you have to do something unforgivable, just to be able to go
          on living." --Christopher Hampton, "The Talking Cure"
        • Marilyn Kinyon
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 28 4:24 PM
            Thanks so much for the info..looks like I must keep looking..lol.
            And that one seemed so safe.. Was any variant of Marija used tht
            would be ok?

            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "P&MSulisz" <pmsulisz@o...> wrote:
            > I don't know Ukarainian but you give a correct meaning of Polish
            term
            > 'znachorka' [znahorka]. But it is not a SCA period word - much
            newer. In SCA
            > period it would be rather "wiedzma" [viedshma] in English simply:
            the witch.
            > Please note that the name: Maryja [Marija] indicates in Poland
            only the ONE
            > divine person. Because of that the very name 'Maria' was not used
            untill
            > late XVII century.
            > M.

          • P&MSulisz

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 29 1:07 PM
                Actually persona is supposed to be Ukrainian or Kievan ? And I had
                seen some cites saying Mariia was listed in the birch bark letters
                thats why i had picked it. Also it is my grandmother and great great
                grandmothers name. Name sources are so scarce for this the time and
                place (around 1200 Kiev) I have had a horrible time finding anything
                I can document.

                --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "P&MSulisz" <pmsulisz@o...> wrote:
                > Rather impossible. Marisha - [but 'i' is very tough here] is
                deminutive form
                > of Maria.
                > The first usage of the name Maria - AS A SECOND name - took place
                in 1593.
                > And this fact caused a big scandal - the only explanation was
                that it was
                > the first child born in the polish royal family for 66 years.
                Small princess
                > was named Anna Maria. Some years later - in 1645 - a french
                princess Maria
                > Gonzaga (de Mantua) married polish king Wladyslaw IV. But before
                she signed
                > the mariagge contract she had to change her name into "Ludvica
                Maria" (Luise
                > Maria)...
                > The name Maria was especially popular in XIX c. but again: it was
                changed,
                > transformed and has probably the largest number of variants:
                Marysienka,
                > Marysia, Marianka, Marusia, Marusza, Maruszka, Maryla,Marylka, etc.
                > everything to avoid the BIG forbidden MARIJA (the divine queen of
                Poland).
                > The pimary form: Maria is a solemn, popular official name
                pronounced in a
                > different way than Marija [in Polish: Maryja].
                > The similiar situation was with Piast's dynastic names.
                > To Marilyn:
                > If your persona is Polish - there is no such a possibilities in
                SCA period
                > (before 1601). Sorry.
                > M.

              • P&MSulisz