Re: [sig] translation help....

  • MC Toscano
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
      Argh. My mistake in being slightly snarky/silly/goofy about the request.
      This same conversation happens to be occurring on two different lists that I
      am. Which I did not realize, and had only dawned on me when my email popped
      up on sig. One list is slightly more jovial and familiar (the local
      baronial list) and the other is well,..... this one, which is a more
      scholarly list. I thought I was posting to the local baronial list and not
      sig.

      I apologize to the list for my faux pax.

      Nataliia
    • "Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik"
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
        Greetings!

        > "Druzhina," as far as I've always understood it, is primarily a military body - more like a bodyguard or personal militia, not so much a group of people who give advice. For "council," I'd use "soviet" (two syllables, stress on the second syllable: "sa-VYET"). But maybe a native speaker has better advice?

        As a native speaker and a translator, I beg for more context.

        Soviet can do, though afair it is of later vocabulary. The late period word for it is Duma. Though Duma used in close connection with the word Boyar makes another meaning that is off the line here - see below why.

        Actually, even a Druzhina could do, be Xavier a prince, as the prince's Senior Druzhina, comprising the oldest and wisest warriors called Boyars, made a council (later called -!!! - Boyarskaya Duma - Boyar Council, Boyar Duma) while the Junior Druzhina actually fought and nothing more.

        I'd suggest the word Blizhniki (the closest ones), it is more informal and suggests not the official structure but a circle of the closest friends and/or advisers.

        Bye,
        Alex
      • tatianna_daniilova
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 13, 2004
          Well.... as this is going to be the name of a group of fighters tied
          to the Baron (Xavier), the military lean to Druzhina would be in line
          with what i am looking for... part of the humor we are going for is
          that we are a fighting unit loyal to our baron and we "advise" with
          our swords.... *grin*... any other suggestions as to what an
          appropiate title to this group would be would be helpful!

          many thanks-
          Tatianna