translation help....

  • tatianna_daniilova
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
      hello all!

      I need a little help with a short translation from english to
      russan....

      I am looking to translate: The Council to Baron Xavier.

      In my research, I have come across the term Druzhina and I understand
      it to refer to a group of noblemen who acted as advisors to their
      prince and stood to fight for him. If my understanding is correct, I
      would like to incorperate the tern into the translation. Xavier is
      the name of a Landed Baron. Any suggestions?

      YIS
      Tatianna
    • MC Toscano
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
        > I need a little help with a short translation from english to
        > russan....
        >
        > I am looking to translate: The Council to Baron Xavier.
        >
        > In my research, I have come across the term Druzhina and I understand
        > it to refer to a group of noblemen who acted as advisors to their
        > prince and stood to fight for him. If my understanding is correct, I
        > would like to incorperate the tern into the translation. Xavier is
        > the name of a Landed Baron. Any suggestions?

        Isn't Xavier Spanish for John, which in Russian would be Ivan? :-)

        The closest thing to Baron (Russian's didn't have them realllllllly) is
        Boyar.

        Druzhina to Boyar Ivan sounds a little funny, though......

        I don't suppose Hired thugs to His Excellency Xavier would do, now would
        it......

        I'll do some more research. :-)

        Nataliia
      • Kseniia Smol'nyanina
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
          "Druzhina," as far as I've always understood it, is primarily a military body - more like a bodyguard or personal militia, not so much a group of people who give advice. For "council," I'd use "soviet" (two syllables, stress on the second syllable: "sa-VYET"). But maybe a native speaker has better advice?

          --Kseniia Smol'nianina

          Tatiana Danilova writes:

          I am looking to translate: The Council to Baron Xavier.

          In my research, I have come across the term Druzhina and I understand it to refer to a group of noblemen who acted as advisors to their prince and stood to fight for him. If my understanding is correct, I would like to incorperate the tern into the translation. Xavier is the name of a Landed Baron. Any suggestions?

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Lady Kseniia Smol'nyanina
          Barony of Three Mountains
          kseniia@...
          ********
          MKA: Christine Jacobs
          www.geocities.com/chrstnj
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        • MC Toscano
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
            Argh. My mistake in being slightly snarky/silly/goofy about the request.
            This same conversation happens to be occurring on two different lists that I
            am. Which I did not realize, and had only dawned on me when my email popped
            up on sig. One list is slightly more jovial and familiar (the local
            baronial list) and the other is well,..... this one, which is a more
            scholarly list. I thought I was posting to the local baronial list and not
            sig.

            I apologize to the list for my faux pax.

            Nataliia
          • "Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik"
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
              Greetings!

              > "Druzhina," as far as I've always understood it, is primarily a military body - more like a bodyguard or personal militia, not so much a group of people who give advice. For "council," I'd use "soviet" (two syllables, stress on the second syllable: "sa-VYET"). But maybe a native speaker has better advice?

              As a native speaker and a translator, I beg for more context.

              Soviet can do, though afair it is of later vocabulary. The late period word for it is Duma. Though Duma used in close connection with the word Boyar makes another meaning that is off the line here - see below why.

              Actually, even a Druzhina could do, be Xavier a prince, as the prince's Senior Druzhina, comprising the oldest and wisest warriors called Boyars, made a council (later called -!!! - Boyarskaya Duma - Boyar Council, Boyar Duma) while the Junior Druzhina actually fought and nothing more.

              I'd suggest the word Blizhniki (the closest ones), it is more informal and suggests not the official structure but a circle of the closest friends and/or advisers.

              Bye,
              Alex
            • tatianna_daniilova
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 13, 2004
                Well.... as this is going to be the name of a group of fighters tied
                to the Baron (Xavier), the military lean to Druzhina would be in line
                with what i am looking for... part of the humor we are going for is
                that we are a fighting unit loyal to our baron and we "advise" with
                our swords.... *grin*... any other suggestions as to what an
                appropiate title to this group would be would be helpful!

                many thanks-
                Tatianna