Re: Re[2]: [sig] Re: Is SIG Dead?

  • Tracy Kremer
    Message 1 of 42 , Apr 7, 2004
      --- "Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik" <Posadnik@...>
      wrote:
      > In Russia things are worse. Major cities allow you
      > to work online, from an internet cafe

      I ran into some of those in Poland; they were not
      terribly expensive, at least in Gdansk, in February,
      but that could add up after a while, and we kept
      finding out that advertised or previously used (on
      other trips by friends) internet cafes had closed
      down, and new ones popped up elsewhere, sort of like
      that carnival game with the gophers...and I suspect
      printing fees might be higher than we are used to in
      the states, too.

      > Most individuals have
      > dial-up type of connection, and the state of
      > telephone lines in Russia is yet VERY poor, no optic
      > fibre, just copper cables that get wet in
      > spring-autumn, etc.

      Ooo, that has _got_ to be annoying! Especially with a
      long, rainy, mud-season!

      > There's one more argument for keeping a paper copy.
      > ...attracting prospective newcomers is more easy
      > when you try both ways: web-advertising (i.e. SIG
      > website) and distributing printed information
      > materials. For example, making a SMALL digest of
      > back issues of Slovo (say, for distributing at
      > Pennsic) may help to keep SIG activities high.

      Hmmmm - that _is_ a thought! I recently ran into a
      representative of a group _not_ in the SCA but
      interested in regional costuming; specifically
      Norwegian and Swedish (I seem to recall). She went to
      a Costuming Convention (Science Fiction affiliated,
      but with historical clothing equally represented) that
      I also was at (working), and attended a lecture on
      Norwegian costuming. (When I dig up my notes, I'll
      share the URLs and other easily shared info). The
      right printout of SLOVO would have been a good thing
      to share on that occasion. I think I have a flyer
      from that group, but the best occasion is past...

      well, will you look at the time!

      gotta go!

      Eluned

      =====