Re: Slovo; articles for; medieval cloth glossary

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
      Sfandra,
      Please don't be "put-off" by the idea that we all know so much. Not all
      of us can read anything but English and we have to use secondary sources
      that refer to primary sources, observe reproduced illuminations and
      blockprints, and compare three or more secondaries to see if the info is
      agreed upon.
      And some of us are so busy or scattered (me) that even though we do have
      some information of interest, we haven't sat down and written it up.

      Even if you do write a "beginning information" article, it will be a
      good thing. There are a lot of beginners here....and your information
      can start a discussion that can draw related research from the rest.

      Maria P...(who promises to someday have a short article on medieval
      textiles relating with Poland)

      Post script: I've put up some medieval cloth information in the
      "glossary" at my website: http://www.classactfabrics.com

      <clip>
      I have
      been reluctant to write anything for Slovo, simply
      because I don't have the ability to read Russian (my
      particular area of interest), thus cannot consult
      primary sources, and so feel that no matter what
      subject I focus on, someone else certainly has the
      ability to do a better scholarly work than I.

      SIG has a reputation for being one of the best groups
      in the SCA for scholarly research and efforts at
      accuracy/authenticity. Which is why I signed up --
      I'm interested in authenticity. But lets face it --
      ya'll can be a little intimidating! :D The folks
      who've been around from the beginning know so darned
      much, it's hard to imagine how much research/reading
      has been done by you all. So, the idea of writing an
      article that will be read by so many who probably know
      so much more than I is rather off-putting.

      Just my POV on the lack of submissions.
      --Sfandra Dmitrieva
    • Yana
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
        Sfandra Dmitrieva wrote:

        > I have
        >been reluctant to write anything for Slovo, simply
        >because I don't have the ability to read Russian (my
        >particular area of interest), thus cannot consult
        >primary sources, and so feel that no matter what
        >subject I focus on, someone else certainly has the
        >ability to do a better scholarly work than I.

        Hey Mordak! Tell her just how much Russian *you* can read! :-)

        Seriously, what's important isn't that you can read Russia, or whatever
        other language your interest is, but that you can share what you have
        learned with the rest of us. And if you feel that what you have written
        isn't "scholarly" enough, you can always submit it for review to someone
        here before you send it to Slovo. And there is always the appropriate
        Knowledge Page, if you don't want to start with the newsletter.

        --Yana (who actually *does* read Russian, but hasn't taught/written much at
        all)
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 5, 2004
          'dak here. Thanks for outing me, Yana. But I would
          like you all to know that I am living proof that you
          can write authoritatively without reading Russian,
          Polish, Romanian, etc. As for witing about subjects
          already addressed, a new perspective, ie. your
          perspective, is a valuable contribution to the bank of
          research because even if your theories are disproven,
          they habe succeeded when you prompt someone else with
          better info. to respond, AND SHARE THAT INFO. It's a
          win-win at that point....
          So, take a chance, write some articles. Predslava
          and Dmitry have corrected my theories on many
          occassions, but I was glad for it because I learned
          and incorporated the new info. I carry that evolving
          knowledge base outlook to the classes I teach, the
          info. provided me by interested parties and especially
          in my dealings with my students/apprentices. My
          endeavors have become better over time AND I STILL
          DON'T SPEAK OR READ RUSSIAN. Go for It!!!!!!!
          --- Yana <yana@...> wrote:
          > Sfandra Dmitrieva wrote:
          >
          > > I have
          > >been reluctant to write anything for Slovo, simply
          > >because I don't have the ability to read Russian
          > (my
          > >particular area of interest), thus cannot consult
          > >primary sources, and so feel that no matter what
          > >subject I focus on, someone else certainly has the
          > >ability to do a better scholarly work than I.
          >

          > Hey Mordak! Tell her just how much Russian *you*
          > can read! :-)
          >
          > Seriously, what's important isn't that you can read
          > Russia, or whatever
          > other language your interest is, but that you can
          > share what you have
          > learned with the rest of us. And if you feel that
          > what you have written
          > isn't "scholarly" enough, you can always submit it
          > for review to someone
          > here before you send it to Slovo. And there is
          > always the appropriate
          > Knowledge Page, if you don't want to start with the
          > newsletter.
          >
          > --Yana (who actually *does* read Russian, but hasn't
          > taught/written much at
          > all)

        • Tracy Kremer
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 5, 2005
            > Subject: Slovo (was Re: Re: Digest Number 1701)
            >
            > Tha FAQ already covers this question, but the short
            > answer is that you go to the SIG website:
            >
            > http://slavic.freeservers.com
            >
            > -- Paul

            Excellent! Thanks Paul, and my apologies for asking
            when I should have looked! I don't know what I was
            thinking.

            Eluned

            CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and all lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold.

            for good webcomics! http://www.schlockmercenary.com http://www.kevinandkell.com

            http://personals.yahoo.com
          • Marilyn Kinyon
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 13, 2008
              I've just looked at the latest Slovo ( thanks again Paul!); and
              enjoyed all the great coverage on Slavic U. While looking it over I
              had an idea and decided to post a blurb about Slavic U., the link to
              this edition of Slovo, and a link to the Univ. notes on the
              Aethelmearc list . I figured it's a little more free publicity for
              next time plus folks who may not have gotten there or heard of SIG
              could access the notes. It would be a great idea if someone in each
              Kingdom could do the same.

              The more who know about us the better!

              Lady Marija