Re: [sig] Re: Is SIG Dead?

  • Tracy Kremer
    Message 1 of 42 , Mar 31, 2004
      --- Tim Nalley <mordakus@...> wrote:
      > Ditto on Alastair's commentary concerning Slovo. All
      > public libraries seem to have internet connection
      > these days and accessible to those without.

      I know this is true in the States, at least on the
      east coast where I've lived in many of them, but is
      this true in the midwest, and outside of the States?
      I'm sure Paul has Slovo subscribers elsewhere, yes?

      The Electronic Journal is a good idea, but perhaps
      there should be a transitory period to help the
      subscribers adjust - if we can give Paul enough
      articles to put out a couple of editions!

      I do know how to do research (although biology was my
      specialty), but have too many things going on to do so
      right away; I will have to read some back-issues on
      the site before I can say how long it will take me to
      study up on something enough to research an area of
      interest.

      Eluned

      [Edited by moderator. You know why.]
    • Tracy Kremer
      Message 42 of 42 , Apr 7, 2004
        --- "Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik" <Posadnik@...>
        wrote:
        > In Russia things are worse. Major cities allow you
        > to work online, from an internet cafe

        I ran into some of those in Poland; they were not
        terribly expensive, at least in Gdansk, in February,
        but that could add up after a while, and we kept
        finding out that advertised or previously used (on
        other trips by friends) internet cafes had closed
        down, and new ones popped up elsewhere, sort of like
        that carnival game with the gophers...and I suspect
        printing fees might be higher than we are used to in
        the states, too.

        > Most individuals have
        > dial-up type of connection, and the state of
        > telephone lines in Russia is yet VERY poor, no optic
        > fibre, just copper cables that get wet in
        > spring-autumn, etc.

        Ooo, that has _got_ to be annoying! Especially with a
        long, rainy, mud-season!

        > There's one more argument for keeping a paper copy.
        > ...attracting prospective newcomers is more easy
        > when you try both ways: web-advertising (i.e. SIG
        > website) and distributing printed information
        > materials. For example, making a SMALL digest of
        > back issues of Slovo (say, for distributing at
        > Pennsic) may help to keep SIG activities high.

        Hmmmm - that _is_ a thought! I recently ran into a
        representative of a group _not_ in the SCA but
        interested in regional costuming; specifically
        Norwegian and Swedish (I seem to recall). She went to
        a Costuming Convention (Science Fiction affiliated,
        but with historical clothing equally represented) that
        I also was at (working), and attended a lecture on
        Norwegian costuming. (When I dig up my notes, I'll
        share the URLs and other easily shared info). The
        right printout of SLOVO would have been a good thing
        to share on that occasion. I think I have a flyer
        from that group, but the best occasion is past...

        well, will you look at the time!

        gotta go!

        Eluned

        =====