Invitation to bring a dance team and compete.

  • Nancy Douglas
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29 3:55 PM
      I don't know how many people can travel to al-Barran (mka
      Albuquerque, New Mexico) but I wanted to pass this invitation along.
      Right now all the dances we are working on locally are western
      European, but Lady Barbara would be VERY happy if any of you know
      dances (and the music for them.)

      I told her that I had been to Bosnia briefly in 1996, and was
      thinking about switching my persona to be more from that area. All
      the material that I have read on the area mentions the circle dances
      (the Kolo?); Lady Barbara has suggested that I start learning about
      them. Although if I made the effort to study about them, then she'd
      make me teach them, find the music for them. (Groan!)

      Please contact me or Lady Barbara for more information.

      Haniya bat Baruch
      (505) 299-7883
      squidgete@...

      SCA MAY DAY ANNOUNCEMENT

      Please feel free to forward this event notice to other lists to which
      you belong. Thanks, Lady Barbara

      al-Barran May Day Celebration Barony of al-Barran
      Battan Park, NW corner of Lomas & Carlisle, Albuquerque, NM
      Sunday, May 2, A.S. XXXVIII (2004)
      Site opens at 9 AM and closes at 5 PM
      No site fee and the site is dry

      It's May! It's May! The lovely month of May! Come join us in a May
      Day Celebration of the performing arts at a mini-renaissance faire,
      hosted by the al-Barran Court Dancers. There will be dancing around
      two Maypoles, court dancing, middle eastern dancing, drumming, a "May
      Day Household Dance Competition", singing, story telling, and
      puppetry. There will also be period games for adults and children, a
      heavy weapons tourney, a rapier tourney, merchants, a SCA items swap
      meet (clean out your collection of "SCA items" and bring them to
      swap, sell, or give away to newcomers and others) and classes for
      newcomers, along with regular fighter practice. We encourage you to
      wear your garb to this event and bring your period games, musical
      instruments, pillows, blankets, and chairs to sit on, as there will
      be lots of entertainment in the "Town Square" ! We are looking for
      individuals or households to sponsor and put on a heavy weapons
      tournament and a rapier tournament. If you are interested in hosting
      a tournament, entertaining, or teaching a class, please contact Lady
      Barbara. We will have special events and classes for newcomers, so
      this is a wonderful event to invite newcomers and your friends to.
      Come and make merry and contribute your talents and gifts to make
      this a Magical Day!!

      For the May Day Household Dance Competition, there will be six dance
      categories for adults and youth: court dance, maypole dance, and
      middle eastern dance. To enter this Household competition, a
      household does not have to have dancers in each of the six categories
      and they may have more than one entry in a given category (for
      example they may have two groups of dancers dancing different dances
      in the original court dance adult division.) Individuals, not
      affiliated with a household, may also enter this dance competition.
      Prizes will be awarded to the winners of each dance competition, as
      well as to the winning household. A sound system that plays CDs and
      audio tapes will be provided on May 2nd. The al-Barran Court Dancers,
      who are sponsoring this Household Dance Competition, will give
      private court dance lessons to your household at the park on Sundays
      during fighter practice or elsewhere. We will also make copies of the
      court dance music (just bring an audio tape to the park) and even
      help you in selecting court dances for your household dance
      performing groups of two, three, four, six, eight, members or more.
      Maypole dance practices will be at fighter practice park on Sundays
      3/7, 3/28, 4/18 and 4/25 with maypole practice for everyone, 12:30-
      2:30pm. Households may reserve time before or after these times on
      these dates for working out their own maypole dances. Please contact
      Lady Barbara, for private dance lessons, and for reserving private
      time to practice and work out dances with the maypoles. We also
      strongly recommend that your maypole dance correographers attend some
      of the maypole dance practices, to figure out how the maypole
      streamers react to different moves by the dancers.

      Directions: Take I-40 in Albuquerque to the Carlisle exit. Exit onto
      Carlisle and go south on Carlisle to Lomas. Turn right (west) at the
      light onto Lomas and go just past the Walgreens to Battan Park. For
      further information, contact the autocrat, Lady Barbara (Barbara
      Krege), 505-293-7453,