Re: [sig] Re: Subject: name documentation: Valeska

  • Tracy Kremer
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 9, 2004
      I've recently joined this list, and I just wanted to
      say that all this history that I had no clue of is
      _so_ very cool!

      Tracy

      =====

      IN 2004 - JUNE 4-6th - COMING TO CHARLOTTE - (drum roll, please,)http://www.secfi.org/concarolinas

      for good webcomics, use these links!
      http://sluggy.com http://www.schlockmercenary.com http://www.kevinandkell.com

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • Tracy Kremer
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 9, 2004
        Hi folks!

        my interest in Slavic culture stemmed initially from
        an ancestral name, Tymczyszyn. I was told that the
        grandfather bearing that name came from Poland, from a
        town that no longer exists since WWII leveled it, and
        his relatives wrote letters to him in a polyglot of
        German, Polish, and Russian. Yet the records show him
        as being born in Ukrania, and his first name was
        Nicholas, and his father's was Basil; those names seem
        to be Russian (?). (Perhaps they had the itchy feet I
        seem to have inherited! <G>) The other patronymics I
        could research are Zgonce, Zedik, Szupianyj, Mazuryk,
        and Szurpeta - the first two may be Yugoslavian,
        though they spoke Polish, the rest are unknown.

        I would like to find out where to look for this name
        to find out how far back it existed, and whether it
        was regional, or might have been more common for a
        region, or profession, etc., so I can get some ideas
        for a eastern european SCA persona. I like to use
        ancestry as a starting point. (If not, I of course
        don't have to use an ancestral name, but this gives me
        somewhere to start and is of personal interest as
        well.)

        So, if anyone could suggest links where I can look for
        this kind of information (I already looked in the SIG
        site's bibliography, and will be looking for Hoffman's
        book), which must unfortunately be in english, or has
        any information on hand, or knows of a specific book I
        could start looking for thru interlibrary loan or for
        sale on the internet, I would be grateful!

        Tracy

        =====

        IN 2004 - JUNE 4-6th - COMING TO CHARLOTTE - (drum roll, please,)http://www.secfi.org/concarolinas

        for good webcomics, use these links!
        http://sluggy.com http://www.schlockmercenary.com http://www.kevinandkell.com

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • P&MSulisz
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 10, 2004
          'Valeska'...
          Madame Valeska was vary famous person in the Napoleon Era, at least in
          Poland. Mme Valeska this is French - simplified form of her real Polish
          surname: Walewska [Valevska]. She was a beautiful married lady. It was
          obvious to everyone that Napoleon was impressed by hers beauty. The story is
          long but in few words: she was induced (by the politicians, by hers husband,
          etc.) to become a lover of the French Imperator - for the glory of Poland of
          course. For some time she was in favor. They had a son: Alexander Walewski.
          But she wasn't able to influenced French ruler in the way she was expected
          to do. After all the adventure she come back to Poland and to for the rest
          of hers days she was widely honoured as a romantic martyr in the name of
          Poland. (Another example of the hipocrisy of the male/catholic rulers of
          this country).
          I assure you: Valeska is not a Polish name. Either Valeska or Walewska had
          no slightest conections with the word 'walka' (valka) = warfare.
          The first legendary Polish princess was Wanda (Vanda). But the scholars says
          hers name wasn't slavic at all and link her with the tribe of Vandals who
          lived here for some centuries, some years ago.
          I wish you fruitful searching,
          Magdalena z Wroclawia

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 14, 2004
            > I would like to find out where to look for this name
            > to find out how far back it existed, and whether it
            > was regional, or might have been more common for a
            > region, or profession, etc.,

            Tracy--

            You might want to start with Kazimierz Rymut's Dictionary of Surnames
            in Current Use in Poland at the Beginning of the 21st Century, it
            listed 637 Tymczyszyn's in Poland as of 1990 located in a number of
            different powiats (e.g.s administrative districts). You can find a
            link to it on the Polish Genealogical Society website, www.pgsa.org,
            look in the databases section.

            Also check out the Polish surames section of the website as there are
            resources there that might help you. For example, there is an address
            for a Polish institute that will research the history of a name to
            tell you its origin for a nominal fee (usually about $20). This group
            understands and will reply in English.

            If you know the town name in Poland where your ancestor resided, you
            can probably find out more about it in the Slownik Geograficzyny
            Krolestwa Polskiego, a geographical dictionary that describes towns in
            Poland. It was published in the 1880's through 1902, so it predates
            WWII. The problem is that all the entries are in Polish, so you will
            need to translate the information.

            Good hunting
          • Tracy Kremer
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 15, 2004
              "Bigmakusa", thank you _sooo_ much!

              For your pleasure, I will write down my reactions to
              your post as I read it;

              > You might want to start with Kazimierz Rymut's
              > Dictionary of Surnames.....

              Ooooo, wow!

              > You can find a
              > link to it on the Polish Genealogical Society
              > website, www.pgsa.org,

              OOOOooooooo, WOW!

              > there is an address
              > for a Polish institute that will research the
              > history of a name to
              > tell you its origin for a nominal fee (usually about
              > $20). This group
              > understands and will reply in English.

              Oooo, wow!

              > If you know the town name in Poland where your
              > ancestor resided, you
              > can probably find out more about it in the Slownik
              > Geograficzyny
              > Krolestwa Polskiego,

              EXcellent!
              (I'll be getting that town's name this week, by the
              way; I'm driving up to Buffalo, where relatives
              reside)

              a geographical dictionary that
              > describes towns in
              > Poland. It was published in the 1880's through 1902,
              > so it predates
              > WWII.

              Ooooo, wow!

              The problem is that all the entries are in
              > Polish, so you will
              > need to translate the information.

              Uh-oh!
              Hmmmm....

              > Good hunting

              LOL!
              (this was a laughter of pleasure)

              Anyway, thank you so much, makusa, for bringing my
              search back into motion! (I was stalled due to not
              knowing where to look any further).

              Happily,
              Eluned aka Tracy

              =====