Re: Subject: name documentation: Valeska

  • Stacie Granger
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 9, 2004
      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Alastair Millar" <alastair@i...> wrote:
      >this is is firmly in the "mythical/legendary" period, i.e.
      > substantially before 894 AD, which is where datable events in the
      Chronicle
      > begin.
      >
      > I have unsubstantiated place-name evidence for the male name Valek,
      and I
      > suppose in theory one could argue for a feminine form of Valeska.
      What
      > worries me, however, is the obvious cognate with [valka],
      meaning 'War'!!!
      > Frankly, I am inclined to see "Valeska" as something that results
      from a
      > translation problem... esp. since your Pope would have been writing
      in
      > Latin. I could be wrong, of course, but the name seems rather
      doubtful to me
      > at present - sorry!
      >
      > Alastair

      I feel better about my inablility to prove the name myself now. I
      too have found it to relate to mythology. And if you dare look up
      the name in current day baby names books. Valeska is defined as
      something like 'glorious ruler' with no mention of war, the obvious
      root of the word. It does claim slavic origin and says it is a
      modern Polish name. I have my doubts that it can be proven.
      Thankfully, I already settled on changing my name (although
      Male)....but, eight years of using the name is hard to give up.

      Vlksha Iakovleva called Valeska
    • Tracy Kremer
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 9, 2004
        I've recently joined this list, and I just wanted to
        say that all this history that I had no clue of is
        _so_ very cool!

        Tracy

        =====

        IN 2004 - JUNE 4-6th - COMING TO CHARLOTTE - (drum roll, please,)http://www.secfi.org/concarolinas

        for good webcomics, use these links!
        http://sluggy.com http://www.schlockmercenary.com http://www.kevinandkell.com

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • Tracy Kremer
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 9, 2004
          Hi folks!

          my interest in Slavic culture stemmed initially from
          an ancestral name, Tymczyszyn. I was told that the
          grandfather bearing that name came from Poland, from a
          town that no longer exists since WWII leveled it, and
          his relatives wrote letters to him in a polyglot of
          German, Polish, and Russian. Yet the records show him
          as being born in Ukrania, and his first name was
          Nicholas, and his father's was Basil; those names seem
          to be Russian (?). (Perhaps they had the itchy feet I
          seem to have inherited! <G>) The other patronymics I
          could research are Zgonce, Zedik, Szupianyj, Mazuryk,
          and Szurpeta - the first two may be Yugoslavian,
          though they spoke Polish, the rest are unknown.

          I would like to find out where to look for this name
          to find out how far back it existed, and whether it
          was regional, or might have been more common for a
          region, or profession, etc., so I can get some ideas
          for a eastern european SCA persona. I like to use
          ancestry as a starting point. (If not, I of course
          don't have to use an ancestral name, but this gives me
          somewhere to start and is of personal interest as
          well.)

          So, if anyone could suggest links where I can look for
          this kind of information (I already looked in the SIG
          site's bibliography, and will be looking for Hoffman's
          book), which must unfortunately be in english, or has
          any information on hand, or knows of a specific book I
          could start looking for thru interlibrary loan or for
          sale on the internet, I would be grateful!

          Tracy

          =====

          IN 2004 - JUNE 4-6th - COMING TO CHARLOTTE - (drum roll, please,)http://www.secfi.org/concarolinas

          for good webcomics, use these links!
          http://sluggy.com http://www.schlockmercenary.com http://www.kevinandkell.com

          http://search.yahoo.com
        • P&MSulisz
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 10, 2004
            'Valeska'...
            Madame Valeska was vary famous person in the Napoleon Era, at least in
            Poland. Mme Valeska this is French - simplified form of her real Polish
            surname: Walewska [Valevska]. She was a beautiful married lady. It was
            obvious to everyone that Napoleon was impressed by hers beauty. The story is
            long but in few words: she was induced (by the politicians, by hers husband,
            etc.) to become a lover of the French Imperator - for the glory of Poland of
            course. For some time she was in favor. They had a son: Alexander Walewski.
            But she wasn't able to influenced French ruler in the way she was expected
            to do. After all the adventure she come back to Poland and to for the rest
            of hers days she was widely honoured as a romantic martyr in the name of
            Poland. (Another example of the hipocrisy of the male/catholic rulers of
            this country).
            I assure you: Valeska is not a Polish name. Either Valeska or Walewska had
            no slightest conections with the word 'walka' (valka) = warfare.
            The first legendary Polish princess was Wanda (Vanda). But the scholars says
            hers name wasn't slavic at all and link her with the tribe of Vandals who
            lived here for some centuries, some years ago.
            I wish you fruitful searching,
            Magdalena z Wroclawia

            > I feel better about my inablility to prove the name myself now. I
            > too have found it to relate to mythology. And if you dare look up
            > the name in current day baby names books. Valeska is defined as
            > something like 'glorious ruler' with no mention of war, the obvious
            > root of the word. It does claim slavic origin and says it is a
            > modern Polish name. I have my doubts that it can be proven.
            > Thankfully, I already settled on changing my name (although
            > Male)....but, eight years of using the name is hard to give up.
            >
            > Vlksha Iakovleva called Valeska
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • bigmakusa
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 14, 2004
              > I would like to find out where to look for this name
              > to find out how far back it existed, and whether it
              > was regional, or might have been more common for a
              > region, or profession, etc.,

              Tracy--

              You might want to start with Kazimierz Rymut's Dictionary of Surnames
              in Current Use in Poland at the Beginning of the 21st Century, it
              listed 637 Tymczyszyn's in Poland as of 1990 located in a number of
              different powiats (e.g.s administrative districts). You can find a
              link to it on the Polish Genealogical Society website, www.pgsa.org,
              look in the databases section.

              Also check out the Polish surames section of the website as there are
              resources there that might help you. For example, there is an address
              for a Polish institute that will research the history of a name to
              tell you its origin for a nominal fee (usually about $20). This group
              understands and will reply in English.

              If you know the town name in Poland where your ancestor resided, you
              can probably find out more about it in the Slownik Geograficzyny
              Krolestwa Polskiego, a geographical dictionary that describes towns in
              Poland. It was published in the 1880's through 1902, so it predates
              WWII. The problem is that all the entries are in Polish, so you will
              need to translate the information.

              Good hunting
            • Tracy Kremer
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 15, 2004
                "Bigmakusa", thank you _sooo_ much!

                For your pleasure, I will write down my reactions to
                your post as I read it;

                > You might want to start with Kazimierz Rymut's
                > Dictionary of Surnames.....

                Ooooo, wow!

                > You can find a
                > link to it on the Polish Genealogical Society
                > website, www.pgsa.org,

                OOOOooooooo, WOW!

                > there is an address
                > for a Polish institute that will research the
                > history of a name to
                > tell you its origin for a nominal fee (usually about
                > $20). This group
                > understands and will reply in English.

                Oooo, wow!

                > If you know the town name in Poland where your
                > ancestor resided, you
                > can probably find out more about it in the Slownik
                > Geograficzyny
                > Krolestwa Polskiego,

                EXcellent!
                (I'll be getting that town's name this week, by the
                way; I'm driving up to Buffalo, where relatives
                reside)

                a geographical dictionary that
                > describes towns in
                > Poland. It was published in the 1880's through 1902,
                > so it predates
                > WWII.

                Ooooo, wow!

                The problem is that all the entries are in
                > Polish, so you will
                > need to translate the information.

                Uh-oh!
                Hmmmm....

                > Good hunting

                LOL!
                (this was a laughter of pleasure)

                Anyway, thank you so much, makusa, for bringing my
                search back into motion! (I was stalled due to not
                knowing where to look any further).

                Happily,
                Eluned aka Tracy

                =====