Re: Subject: name documentation: Valeska

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 9, 2004
      Righty...

      Cosmas does indeed mention the Maidens' War, but makes no specific name
      references in doing so - you can find the references to it in Book IX. Note
      especially that this is firmly in the "mythical/legendary" period, i.e.
      substantially before 894 AD, which is where datable events in the Chronicle
      begin.

      There is somewhat more information on the Maidens' War in the Chronicle of
      Dalimil, written about the turn of the 14th century. The main female figures
      mentioned are Vlasta and S'arka, and there is no mention of anyone called
      Valeska - and especially not a ruler, since all this was taking place during
      the reign of Pr'emysl and around the time of the death of Libus'e.

      I also cannot find any references to a similar name elsewhere in the same or
      other Chronicles, or in my other references.

      I do have unsubstantiated place-name evidence for the male name Valek, and I
      suppose in theory one could argue for a feminine form of Valeska. What
      worries me, however, is the obvious cognate with [valka], meaning 'War'!!!
      Frankly, I am inclined to see "Valeska" as something that results from a
      translation problem... esp. since your Pope would have been writing in
      Latin. I could be wrong, of course, but the name seems rather doubtful to me
      at present - sorry!

      Alastair

      Alastair Millar BSc (Hons) - http://www.skriptorium.info
      Translation & Consultancy for the Heritage Industry
      P.O. Box 11, CZ 413 01 Roudnice, Czech Republic
      Tel.: +420.607.993.041, Fax.: +420.416.838.722
    • Stacie Granger
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 9, 2004
        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Alastair Millar" <alastair@i...> wrote:
        >this is is firmly in the "mythical/legendary" period, i.e.
        > substantially before 894 AD, which is where datable events in the
        Chronicle
        > begin.
        >
        > I have unsubstantiated place-name evidence for the male name Valek,
        and I
        > suppose in theory one could argue for a feminine form of Valeska.
        What
        > worries me, however, is the obvious cognate with [valka],
        meaning 'War'!!!
        > Frankly, I am inclined to see "Valeska" as something that results
        from a
        > translation problem... esp. since your Pope would have been writing
        in
        > Latin. I could be wrong, of course, but the name seems rather
        doubtful to me
        > at present - sorry!
        >
        > Alastair

        I feel better about my inablility to prove the name myself now. I
        too have found it to relate to mythology. And if you dare look up
        the name in current day baby names books. Valeska is defined as
        something like 'glorious ruler' with no mention of war, the obvious
        root of the word. It does claim slavic origin and says it is a
        modern Polish name. I have my doubts that it can be proven.
        Thankfully, I already settled on changing my name (although
        Male)....but, eight years of using the name is hard to give up.

        Vlksha Iakovleva called Valeska
      • Tracy Kremer
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 9, 2004
          I've recently joined this list, and I just wanted to
          say that all this history that I had no clue of is
          _so_ very cool!

          Tracy

          =====

          IN 2004 - JUNE 4-6th - COMING TO CHARLOTTE - (drum roll, please,)http://www.secfi.org/concarolinas

          for good webcomics, use these links!
          http://sluggy.com http://www.schlockmercenary.com http://www.kevinandkell.com

          http://search.yahoo.com
        • Tracy Kremer
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 9, 2004
            Hi folks!

            my interest in Slavic culture stemmed initially from
            an ancestral name, Tymczyszyn. I was told that the
            grandfather bearing that name came from Poland, from a
            town that no longer exists since WWII leveled it, and
            his relatives wrote letters to him in a polyglot of
            German, Polish, and Russian. Yet the records show him
            as being born in Ukrania, and his first name was
            Nicholas, and his father's was Basil; those names seem
            to be Russian (?). (Perhaps they had the itchy feet I
            seem to have inherited! <G>) The other patronymics I
            could research are Zgonce, Zedik, Szupianyj, Mazuryk,
            and Szurpeta - the first two may be Yugoslavian,
            though they spoke Polish, the rest are unknown.

            I would like to find out where to look for this name
            to find out how far back it existed, and whether it
            was regional, or might have been more common for a
            region, or profession, etc., so I can get some ideas
            for a eastern european SCA persona. I like to use
            ancestry as a starting point. (If not, I of course
            don't have to use an ancestral name, but this gives me
            somewhere to start and is of personal interest as
            well.)

            So, if anyone could suggest links where I can look for
            this kind of information (I already looked in the SIG
            site's bibliography, and will be looking for Hoffman's
            book), which must unfortunately be in english, or has
            any information on hand, or knows of a specific book I
            could start looking for thru interlibrary loan or for
            sale on the internet, I would be grateful!

            Tracy

            =====

            IN 2004 - JUNE 4-6th - COMING TO CHARLOTTE - (drum roll, please,)http://www.secfi.org/concarolinas

            for good webcomics, use these links!
            http://sluggy.com http://www.schlockmercenary.com http://www.kevinandkell.com

            http://search.yahoo.com
          • P&MSulisz
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 10, 2004
              'Valeska'...
              Madame Valeska was vary famous person in the Napoleon Era, at least in
              Poland. Mme Valeska this is French - simplified form of her real Polish
              surname: Walewska [Valevska]. She was a beautiful married lady. It was
              obvious to everyone that Napoleon was impressed by hers beauty. The story is
              long but in few words: she was induced (by the politicians, by hers husband,
              etc.) to become a lover of the French Imperator - for the glory of Poland of
              course. For some time she was in favor. They had a son: Alexander Walewski.
              But she wasn't able to influenced French ruler in the way she was expected
              to do. After all the adventure she come back to Poland and to for the rest
              of hers days she was widely honoured as a romantic martyr in the name of
              Poland. (Another example of the hipocrisy of the male/catholic rulers of
              this country).
              I assure you: Valeska is not a Polish name. Either Valeska or Walewska had
              no slightest conections with the word 'walka' (valka) = warfare.
              The first legendary Polish princess was Wanda (Vanda). But the scholars says
              hers name wasn't slavic at all and link her with the tribe of Vandals who
              lived here for some centuries, some years ago.
              I wish you fruitful searching,
              Magdalena z Wroclawia

              > I feel better about my inablility to prove the name myself now. I
              > too have found it to relate to mythology. And if you dare look up
              > the name in current day baby names books. Valeska is defined as
              > something like 'glorious ruler' with no mention of war, the obvious
              > root of the word. It does claim slavic origin and says it is a
              > modern Polish name. I have my doubts that it can be proven.
              > Thankfully, I already settled on changing my name (although
              > Male)....but, eight years of using the name is hard to give up.
              >
              > Vlksha Iakovleva called Valeska
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • bigmakusa
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 14, 2004
                > I would like to find out where to look for this name
                > to find out how far back it existed, and whether it
                > was regional, or might have been more common for a
                > region, or profession, etc.,

                Tracy--

                You might want to start with Kazimierz Rymut's Dictionary of Surnames
                in Current Use in Poland at the Beginning of the 21st Century, it
                listed 637 Tymczyszyn's in Poland as of 1990 located in a number of
                different powiats (e.g.s administrative districts). You can find a
                link to it on the Polish Genealogical Society website, www.pgsa.org,
                look in the databases section.

                Also check out the Polish surames section of the website as there are
                resources there that might help you. For example, there is an address
                for a Polish institute that will research the history of a name to
                tell you its origin for a nominal fee (usually about $20). This group
                understands and will reply in English.

                If you know the town name in Poland where your ancestor resided, you
                can probably find out more about it in the Slownik Geograficzyny
                Krolestwa Polskiego, a geographical dictionary that describes towns in
                Poland. It was published in the 1880's through 1902, so it predates
                WWII. The problem is that all the entries are in Polish, so you will
                need to translate the information.

                Good hunting
              • Tracy Kremer
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 15, 2004
                  "Bigmakusa", thank you _sooo_ much!

                  For your pleasure, I will write down my reactions to
                  your post as I read it;

                  > You might want to start with Kazimierz Rymut's
                  > Dictionary of Surnames.....

                  Ooooo, wow!

                  > You can find a
                  > link to it on the Polish Genealogical Society
                  > website, www.pgsa.org,

                  OOOOooooooo, WOW!

                  > there is an address
                  > for a Polish institute that will research the
                  > history of a name to
                  > tell you its origin for a nominal fee (usually about
                  > $20). This group
                  > understands and will reply in English.

                  Oooo, wow!

                  > If you know the town name in Poland where your
                  > ancestor resided, you
                  > can probably find out more about it in the Slownik
                  > Geograficzyny
                  > Krolestwa Polskiego,

                  EXcellent!
                  (I'll be getting that town's name this week, by the
                  way; I'm driving up to Buffalo, where relatives
                  reside)

                  a geographical dictionary that
                  > describes towns in
                  > Poland. It was published in the 1880's through 1902,
                  > so it predates
                  > WWII.

                  Ooooo, wow!

                  The problem is that all the entries are in
                  > Polish, so you will
                  > need to translate the information.

                  Uh-oh!
                  Hmmmm....

                  > Good hunting

                  LOL!
                  (this was a laughter of pleasure)

                  Anyway, thank you so much, makusa, for bringing my
                  search back into motion! (I was stalled due to not
                  knowing where to look any further).

                  Happily,
                  Eluned aka Tracy

                  =====