name documentation: Valeska

  • Stacie Granger
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2004
      In the book "Women Warriors, A History" by David E Jones pg. 129-130,
      there is mention of a 1300's Bohemian Queen named Valeska. I have
      struggled for years trying to document her name for SCA submission.
      Does anyone have any other documentation for this name? And would
      this be a Bohemian name?

      'Some decades later in Bohemia, Queen Libussa and her nemesis, Queen
      Valeska, fought the "Bohemian Girls' War," a battle over the emerging
      nation of Bohemia. Libussa with her three sisters experienced early
      success. Later, Queen Valeska won the kingdom from Libussa and
      instigated a cruel reign during which all Bohemian girls served
      compulsory military duty. Aeneas Piccolomini, later Pope Pius II,
      wrote in the 'Historia Bohemica' that all men had their right eyes
      and thumbs removed to render them useless in battle.'

      Vlksha Iakovleva called Valeska
      "gyronny argent and gules a cross of toulese Sable."
      Herald and Chronicler of Stormsport
      Chaimberlain to HRM Henri d'Artois Roi d'Aethelmearc