Re: [sig] Valenki question

  • Alexey Kiyaikin
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 5 6:03 PM
      Greetings!

      TN> Alexi,
      TN> DOH! Wrong part of the appendage! I meant the
      TN> portki. My question though is about the valenki, the
      TN> felt boots. Have you found any mention of soles or
      Haven't, tyhough never dug the question deep enough.
      TN> pattens or spikes for ice in period in your research?
      No such stuff. Stiff sole (able to bear spikes)
      is a rather an OOP device for Russia. When
      you fare on snow, there's no need to use spikes. I'd say valenki had
      soles rather for longer durability but not for walking on hard
      pavements. Afair, the [mercenaries'] boots with metal on the soles were
      invented for stone-paved Western European roads. In Russia they never
      paved roads with stone in period.
      TN> I would also like to know whether the onuchi were worn
      TN> INSIDE the valenki? I'm doing my wool and linen
      Of course! It's the ancestor of all socks, I'd say.

      --
      Bye,
      Alex mailto:Posadnik@...