Re[4]: [sig] Russian question

  • "Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik"
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 5, 2004
      Greetings!

      > Acyually he says that their "upper socks" were cloth
      > of gold, though he says nothing about the rest of the
      > sock in the boot. From the iconograpghy of the period
      > and some post period sources like Olearius, linen and
      > wool are much more common. What's your take, Alexi?

      My take is like linen cloth (onuchi), in the way shown in one Louvre (afair) Italian canvas with the Archangel Michael's feet stomping the devil. Last year I just failed to record from TV a 190* documentary showing a peasant woman draping her feet in the same way (the only difference was that the archangel left his heels and toes undraped, and Russian peasants covered them as well). That was for summer. For winter they (no info about the imported goods, just what they had in wealthy households) had knitted wool ("hoofy" socks) and - and! - they could make woolen onuchi. No idea when that started, but in 19 century peasants wore wool on their feet and ankles as often as they wore hemp, cotton and linen.

      But as well, we should remember that felt boots were most popular winter footwear, so it makes like this, wool+leather boots OR hemp/cotton/linen/nothing+felt boots.

      But, still - what did you mean by lapti pants?

      Bye,
      Alex
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 5, 2004
        Alexi,
        DOH! Wrong part of the appendage! I meant the
        portki. My question though is about the valenki, the
        felt boots. Have you found any mention of soles or
        pattens or spikes for ice in period in your research?
        I would also like to know whether the onuchi were worn
        INSIDE the valenki? I'm doing my wool and linen
        outfits right now and was curious.
        'dak
        --- "Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik" <Posadnik@...>
        wrote:

        > Greetings!
        > >
        > > Acyually he says that their "upper socks" were
        > cloth
        > > of gold, though he says nothing about the rest of
        > the
        > > sock in the boot. From the iconograpghy of the
        > period
        > > and some post period sources like Olearius, linen
        > and
        > > wool are much more common. What's your take,
        > Alexi?
        >
        > My take is like linen cloth (onuchi), in the way
        > shown in one Louvre (afair) Italian canvas with the
        > Archangel Michael's feet stomping the devil. Last
        > year I just failed to record from TV a 190*
        > documentary showing a peasant woman draping her feet
        > in the same way (the only difference was that the
        > archangel left his heels and toes undraped, and
        > Russian peasants covered them as well). That was for
        > summer. For winter they (no info about the imported
        > goods, just what they had in wealthy households) had
        > knitted wool ("hoofy" socks) and - and! - they could
        > make woolen onuchi. No idea when that started, but
        > in 19 century peasants wore wool on their feet and
        > ankles as often as they wore hemp, cotton and linen.
        >
        > But as well, we should remember that felt boots were
        > most popular winter footwear, so it makes like this,
        > wool+leather boots OR hemp/cotton/linen/nothing+felt
        > boots.
        >
        > But, still - what did you mean by lapti pants?
        >
        > Bye,
        > Alex

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • Alexey Kiyaikin
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 5, 2004
          Greetings!

          TN> Alexi,
          TN> DOH! Wrong part of the appendage! I meant the
          TN> portki. My question though is about the valenki, the
          TN> felt boots. Have you found any mention of soles or
          Haven't, tyhough never dug the question deep enough.
          TN> pattens or spikes for ice in period in your research?
          No such stuff. Stiff sole (able to bear spikes)
          is a rather an OOP device for Russia. When
          you fare on snow, there's no need to use spikes. I'd say valenki had
          soles rather for longer durability but not for walking on hard
          pavements. Afair, the [mercenaries'] boots with metal on the soles were
          invented for stone-paved Western European roads. In Russia they never
          paved roads with stone in period.
          TN> I would also like to know whether the onuchi were worn
          TN> INSIDE the valenki? I'm doing my wool and linen
          Of course! It's the ancestor of all socks, I'd say.

          --
          Bye,
          Alex mailto:Posadnik@...