Name question

  • Butler309@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2004
      The author's use of the term may be inexact in either usage, or translation.
      I'm fairly sure Leshka Chernii (Leszek the Black) was Duke (Dux) or Prince
      (Princeps) of Krakow and surrounding areas during one of Poland's frequent
      interegnia. He would not have been truly King, but probably the closest thing to
      one in Poland at the time. The Nobility of Poland was notoriously independent
      and would generally only unite behind a King at greatest need, and drop him
      like a hot rock as soon as was feasible. This, in a nutshell, explains why
      Poland lagged behind the rest of Europe so often.

      Standard warning - Early Polish history is a BEAR for SCAdians. Info and
      artefacts from the time are scarce. Details of dress, custom, etc are very hard
      to come by, particularly published in English, and there is a great deal of
      dubious scholarship floating about. The good news is that this provides
      considerable protection from the Authenticity Police. :)

      In a message dated 3/4/2004 08:42:24 Central Standard Time,
      From: "Griffin de Mohun" <mohun1066@...>
      Subject: Re: Name Question

      Here is the cite:

      Grifina (f) -- Grifina, Polish queen, sister of Leshka Chernii.
      1297. [Khr 262]

      Khr=Polnoe sobranie russkikh letopisei, Vol XXII (Pt 2): Khronograf
      zapadno-russkoi redaktsii. Saint Petersburg: Tipografiia M. A.
      Aleksandrova, 1914.

      Found at http://www.sca.org/heraldry/paul/g.html.

      Heck, I dont know enough about Polish history to know if she was a
      queen. ;) You guys are the experts. Just glad to know you should
      be able to make the name masculine.

      Griffin

      - Steve Butler/Leszek z Szczytna