Re: Polish Books?

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2004
      Pan Langry writes...

      > For names, try http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/slavic.shtml .

      For Czech names, there's that nice little list done by Walraven, which
      should be linked from the Czech Knowledge pages.

      I suspect, though, that the largest list of documentable, pre-1600 Czech
      names is the one that I'm working on - 520 male and 67 female names/variants
      for which I can cite a source, and several hundred more for which there is
      (for example) place name evidence, but for which I am still looking for
      dateable sources. The list is nowhere near in a state that I'd want to
      release it yet, but feel free to ask if you have a particular name or
      period, and I'll have a look and see what I've got.

      > There is a yahoo group for the Slavic Interest Group (SIG)
      There is? really? *cough*
      (Sorry, couldn't resist that one...)

      Ref. books - for Bohemia and Moravia you're in trouble, unless you speak or
      can at least read Czech. In the last couple of year's there's been a whole
      heap of new historical assessments of Bohemia from the arrival of the Slavs
      onwards - but in Czech. I highly recommend the catalogue to the Europas
      Mitte um 1000 exhibition (and not just because I translated all the Czech
      and Slovak sections, either...)

      Alastair

      Alastair Millar BSc (Hons) - http://www.skriptorium.info
      Translation & Consultancy for the Heritage Industry
      P.O. Box 11, CZ 413 01 Roudnice, Czech Republic
      Tel.: +420.607.993.041, Fax.: +420.416.838.722