Re: [sig] What's a few centuries between friends?

  • Susan Koziel
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2004
      Not Polish but Russian use of a similar name
      From http://www.sca.org/heraldry/paul/e-f.html

      Ekaterina (f) -- "clean."
      -Ekaterina. 1533. [Nov 561]
      Dims: Kata. 1088. [Mor 98]
      -Katerinka (Katerinka Iakovleva doch'
      Proniakina). 1538-9. [RIB II 772]
      -Katrusha. 1455. [Mor 98]
      -Katunia. 1585. [Mor 98]
      Vars: Katerina (Katerina Vsevolozha). 1108. [Lav
      283]
      -Kat'ryna. c1200. [Mor 98]
      Met Vars: Katiushin [from Katiusha] (Danilko
      Katiushin, peasant). 1539. [Tup 24]

      I argued my varient based on the sound of the name &
      how you'd spell it in Cyrillic. (Tho I guess in
      Polish, which uses the same alphabet the argument may
      not stand up to heraldic scruitiny).
      I used my grandmothers cyrillic name (Kat'ryna) which
      was spelled based on how the name sounds as Kataryna
      (Or at least her customs papers from the early 1900's
      spelled it that way). ;)
      In my case it was accepted as a varient of Kat'ryna.

      I guess it depends on how sticky you want to be with
      the date of your name matching your persona.
      -Kataryna-who-gets-her-SCA-name-shortened-to-Kitty?!?