Re: [sig] translation, please

  • Kseniia Smol'nyanina
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 12, 2004
      I usually use "k vashim uslugam" ("at your service"). I'd love to know if there was something the SCA-ism, though.

      --Kseniia

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 12, 2004
        I asked a friend of mine who is a Russian student (still
        rather early in studies though) and she had translated it as
        "V obslujivani"

        I haven't begun studying the language yet so I don't know
        which is more correct.

        Comments?

        Mikhail

        Kseniia Smol'nyanina wrote:

        > I usually use "k vashim uslugam" ("at your service"). I'd love to know if there was something the SCA-ism, though.
        >
        > --Kseniia

      • "Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik"
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 12, 2004
          Greetings!

          > I asked a friend of mine who is a Russian student (still
          > rather early in studies though) and she had translated it as
          > "V obslujivani"
          > I haven't begun studying the language yet so I don't know
          > which is more correct.

          To be VERY polite, the abovementioned variant is neither correct nor sounding Russian at all. "to" in this phrase requires Dative in Russian, and he made it locative. State instead of direction. Beyond that, obsluzhivanie is service-job, like reception, bank clerks, etc, and Usluga means a favour, a voluntary service that is not regularly paid for.

          And beyond them both,
          K vashim uslugam is the formula in oral speech traditionally used used at acquaintance, like "Mike Hammer, to your service". The Russian usage is quite the same as the acquaintance scene in the Hobbit - "Balin, to Your service. - Bilbo Baggins to Yours and your family..."

          I'd suggest "ever to Your service" which is sometimes used in letters - vsegda k vashim uslugam.

          Bye,
          Alex
        • Mikhail Nicholaev
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 13, 2004