Viking remains found in Pskov

  • Yana
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2004
      >Subject: Viking woman found in Russia
      >
      >In a grave chamber in the city of Pskov, Russian archaeologists have
      >unearthed the
      >remains of a Scandinavian woman with objects made of silver and bronze dated
      >to the 900's
      > From Aftenposten:
      ><http://www.aftenposten.no/viten/article.jhtml?articleID=719915>

      It's in Swedish, I think (if it ain't Slavic, I don't recognize it). I'm
      sure some enterprizing person here could find an English article on the
      subject.

      --Yana
    • scholari@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2004
        > It's in Swedish, I think (if it ain't Slavic, I don't recognize
        > it). I'm sure some enterprizing person here could find an
        > English article on the subject.
        >
        > --Yana

        It is Norwegan! Here are only two things I could dig up on short notice: (the second is from a russian site, the translation is a little rough I seriously doubt they will be finding "guns"...)

        http://www.thehallofmaat.com/maat/read.php?f=1&i=181471&t=181471
        The Norwegian newspaper Verdens Gang (VG) has a short article today telling of a find of a Scandinavian tomb in Pskov, Western Russia.

        The tomb was 4 meters down into the earth, and they found a Viking woman/lady buried in the tomb. She was sitting in an upright position. Article says that a sitting upright position is unlikely to be found, and therefore this is kinda special find.

        The tomb has been dated to approx. AD900, and it's the first find of Norse population in this area of Russia.

        At the woman's feet they found a bronze bowl 50 centimeters in diameter, together with several artifacts in silver and bronze.

        Pskov is one of Russia's elder cities, and is mentioned as early as AD903.

        I don't have any english texted references on this, other than a reference to a Jelena (Elena?) Jakovleva.

        :o) Paul

        http://www.tourism.pskov.ru/news.php?action=list&id=105#n105
        20.01.2004
        10th century tomb of a viking found in Pskov
        In Pskov in Sovetskaya street, 60, on the place of a shabby house archeologists discovered a burial of a viking dated back to the 10th century.
        In this deposition they found weigh-scale, a copper vessel and other monodical items that, as it was considered by ancient Scandinavians, were to follow the deceased to the abode of the spirits. As “Novosti Pskova” newspaper says, nowadays archeological excavations are being carried out even in winter. To do it, they span a film on a metal frame above the place for excavation and an air-gun makes a room temperature inside .
        For the present moment a chamber with viking’s mortal remains is not opened yet. It’s supposed that according to customs of medieval Scandinavians, there can be guns, remains of a horse and wives of the deceased or those of a died Varangian. Results will be known in a few days.

        Simon Hondy
      • Kseniia Smol'nyanina
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2004
          Loose translation of the article (it's Norwegian, btw):

          Russian archeologists have found a Scandinavian woman in a grave chamber from the 900s AD in Pskov in Northwest Russia.

          A find was made this week of a grave 4 meters under the ground outside of Pskov. There have not been any finds from Viking times in this town before, writes the Russian media.

          The location of the find shows that the Scandinavians may have been isolated from the rest of the population of Pskov in the 900s, says Elena Yakovleva to the newsbureau PAI.

          In the grave, which is described as typical Scandinavian, were also found several artifacts of silver and bronze.

          The woman was buried sitting and is unusually tall for her time. By her feet the archeologist found the most valuable artifact, according to Yakovleva: A bronze bowl which was 50 cm in diameter.

          Close contact

          The Vikings often used the waterways around the Baltic Sea and had close contact with the region that later became Russia. The contact was closest from 800 - 1000 AD.

          Along the Volga and Dniepr Rivers ran the travel routes to, among other places, Constantinople and the East, and many important trade centers developed here, including Staraya Lodoga, Novgorod, and Kiev. Pskov is one of the oldest towns in Russia and is mentioned as early as 903 AD.

          Many important finds

          The archeological excavations have been increasing greatly since the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, when it became possible for foreign archeologists to share in the work in Russia.

          Today Russian archeologists are leading a string of excavation projects with foreign archeologists, which have made many important finds in recent years.

          -- Kseniia Smol'nianina

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Lady Kseniia Smol'nyanina
          Barony of Three Mountains
          kseniia@...
          ********
          MKA: Christine Jacobs
          www.geocities.com/chrstnj
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        • Kseniia Smol'nyanina
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2004
            Oh, you beat me to it! Sorry for the repeated info, folks.
            -- Kseniia

            It is Norwegan! Here are only two things I could dig up on short notice: (the second is from a russian site, the translation is a little rough I seriously doubt they will be finding "guns"...)
            [snip]

            Lady Kseniia Smol'nyanina
            Barony of Three Mountains
            kseniia@...