Re: [sig] Re: Iconography question

  • Bran mac Diarmatta ui Griobhta
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2004
      Slava Isusu Krystu!

      Perhaps so. I would like to comission having an icon written and while I know iconographers outside the SCA, I'd like to include a certain SCA 'element' in the icon. Following the tradition of having an icon of the Theotokos of <place name>, I'd like to comission an icon of the Theotokos of Gleann Abhann. I am thinking perhaps a traditional icon in the Glykophilousa style with some small color modifications. Having both the Theotokos and the pre-eternal Infant dressed in the colors of Gleann Abhann, though since black is not traditionally used in iconography, use a dark blue to mimic it, as is often done. The harder part, and where I am not sure traditional iconography will allow, is the background being a night sky with the constellation Aries in the background, not as a sign of the zodiac, but a representation of the ram which is the symbol of Gleann Abhann.

      Do you think such a thing could be done while fitting in the traditional rules of iconography? Being mundanely Orthodox (an odd phrasing...), I want to make sure that the icon is proper, yet can bring together in a sense, two parts of my life.

      Ivan

      "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...> wrote:
      Ivan napisal:

      > Slava Isusu Krystu!

      Slava naveki Bogu!

      > I was curious if anyone in the Slavic Interest Group writes icons? There is
      > one that I would like to have done by a SCAdian. For personal, mundane
      > reasons, I would also prefer someone that in doing so follows the traditional
      > rule of Iconographers. Not asking much am I?

      I've been an iconographer for several years. Can I help?

      Effingham