Re: [sig] Womens headwear for 9th-11thC Kievan Rus

  • Lisa Kies
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2004
      X-JumpGate Networks Webmail - Mason City, Iowa: Originating-IP

      The illustrations in "Drevnaia Rus: Byt' i Kultura" show veils worn under the
      hat to wrap the head and neck closely, and another (translucent?) veil can then
      be draped over the back of the hat to hang down around the shoulders, if memory
      serves. (I need to get those pictures on my website. Grumble, grumble.)

      Sofya la Rus

      P.S. A pillbox-type hat is shown in those same illustrations.

      > Question for the experts:
      > If one is wearing a pseudo-Novgorodian kinda pillbox hat :D, would
      > the ubrus be worn under or over the hat? ...
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Sfandra Dmitrieva

      ***> JumpGate Networks - Mason City, Iowa <***
      ***> Voice: 641-424-5307 Fax: 641-424-5346 <***
      ***> www.jumpgate.net <***
    • LiudmilaV@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 2004
        In a message dated 1/25/2004 10:46:02 AM Pacific Standard Time,
        seonaid13@... writes:
        Question for the experts:
        If one is wearing a pseudo-Novgorodian kinda pillbox hat :D, would
        the ubrus be worn under or over the hat? I usually pin the ubrus to
        the top of the hat and then wrap it around all, but now I'm wondering
        if that's less accurate (ignoring the questionable accuracy of the
        hat in the first place) or more accurate..

        Thanks,
        Sfandra Dmitrieva
        If I were doing 9th-10th century Kievan, I would not wear a Novgorodian hat
        with that. I would just wear the ubrus. When I am doing late period, I wear my
        ubrus under the hat of that type. The hats were ornamented al around, so I
        don't think you want an ubrus to hide it.

        Liudmila