Re: wedding folksongs

  • Kevin Brock
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 3, 1999
      Jenn Ridley wrote:

      > Except that English women/families wore black for mourning before
      > Victoria was even born. There are extant fashion plates showing "full
      > mourning" and "half mourning" from 1794.

      Well, in Richard II (Act V, Scene 6) is made this statement by Henry
      Bolingbroke:
      Come, mourn with me for that I do lament,
      And put on sullen black incontinent:
      I'll make a voyage to the Holy Land,
      To wash this blood off from my guilty hand:
      March sadly after; grace my mournings here;
      In weeping after this untimely bier.

      So even if the custom did not exist in the early 1400s with Henry IV, they were
      at least alive and well in Shakespeare's time.

      Also in Henry VI, Act II Scene 1 Richard states thus:
      Shall we go throw away our coats of steel,
      And wrap our bodies in black mourning gowns,
      Numbering our Ave-Maries with our beads?

      I suppose this is better, being 200 years or so before Victoria's time, at
      least.