Womens headwear for 9th-11thC Kievan Rus

  • Seonaid13
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 25 10:41 AM
      Question for the experts:
      If one is wearing a pseudo-Novgorodian kinda pillbox hat :D, would
      the ubrus be worn under or over the hat? I usually pin the ubrus to
      the top of the hat and then wrap it around all, but now I'm wondering
      if that's less accurate (ignoring the questionable accuracy of the
      hat in the first place) or more accurate..

      Thanks,
      Sfandra Dmitrieva
    • Lisa Kies
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31 7:32 PM
        X-JumpGate Networks Webmail - Mason City, Iowa: Originating-IP

        The illustrations in "Drevnaia Rus: Byt' i Kultura" show veils worn under the
        hat to wrap the head and neck closely, and another (translucent?) veil can then
        be draped over the back of the hat to hang down around the shoulders, if memory
        serves. (I need to get those pictures on my website. Grumble, grumble.)

        Sofya la Rus

        P.S. A pillbox-type hat is shown in those same illustrations.

        > Question for the experts:
        > If one is wearing a pseudo-Novgorodian kinda pillbox hat :D, would
        > the ubrus be worn under or over the hat? ...
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Sfandra Dmitrieva

        ***> JumpGate Networks - Mason City, Iowa <***
        ***> Voice: 641-424-5307 Fax: 641-424-5346 <***
        ***> www.jumpgate.net <***
      • LiudmilaV@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 11, 2004
          In a message dated 1/25/2004 10:46:02 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          seonaid13@... writes:
          Question for the experts:
          If one is wearing a pseudo-Novgorodian kinda pillbox hat :D, would
          the ubrus be worn under or over the hat? I usually pin the ubrus to
          the top of the hat and then wrap it around all, but now I'm wondering
          if that's less accurate (ignoring the questionable accuracy of the
          hat in the first place) or more accurate..

          Thanks,
          Sfandra Dmitrieva
          If I were doing 9th-10th century Kievan, I would not wear a Novgorodian hat
          with that. I would just wear the ubrus. When I am doing late period, I wear my
          ubrus under the hat of that type. The hats were ornamented al around, so I
          don't think you want an ubrus to hide it.

          Liudmila