Scientists Unearth Burial Remains Of Siberian Tribe

  • iambe@userfriendly.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2004
      I was fascinated to read this morning in the Moscow Times that
      scientists have unearthed 1,000 year old remains of Siberian persons
      clad in "copper masks, hoops & plates" . The remains are mummified
      due to the dry permafrost. Fascinating read as the burial included
      warriors and weaponry as well as "protective magic" items such as
      tiny bird and humanoid figurines.

      I am curious to find out about the copper masks, beads and
      vestements and which are funerary and which ornamental. Also, the
      article notes that the best preserved mummy was covered head to toe
      in copper plate. I am going to go off looking for pictures of the
      excavation, it's terribly exciting.

      Safe For Work Link:
      http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2004/01/16/201.html

      YIS,