translation help needed

  • Patricia Hefner
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 1999
      What's the Russian for "Slavic household"? I'm *thinking* of trying to start
      a Slavic/Hungarian household in Meridies. I would *not* be the "head" of the
      household; I'm about as organized as my desk was this morning when I
      couldn't find my car keys! Any volunteers are welcome!

      Dekuji!
      Isabelle

      patricia.hefner@...
    • MHoll@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 1999
        In a message dated 11/4/1999 5:31:48 PM Central Standard Time,
        timbo@... writes:

        > What's the Russian for "Slavic household"?
        >
        > I believe that it is "Domostroi".

        No. "Domostroi" means "household order" or "household rules".

        Slavic Household would be, for instance, <slavianskii dvor>, but of course,
        the question is being raised whether such a name could be found in period.

        In Novgorod, there was the <nemetskii dvor>, the "German court" or walled
        urban estate belonging to the Northern German merchants (established in the
        XII century). And even earlier, there was the <gotskii dvor>, or "Gotland
        court", belonging to Scandinavian merchants. So it would seem that "[country
        name] court" is a valid name for a household. But I don't think that the
        concept of "Slavic" is very period. But it might go.

        Predslava.
      • timbo@marcon.org
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 1999

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 6, 1999
            How about Domostvo then. Not quite either but a strength in the
            ambiguity as well.....
            'dak
          • MHoll@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 6, 1999
              In a message dated 11/5/1999 7:52:27 PM Central Standard Time,
              timbo@... writes:

              > How about Domostvo then. Not quite either but a strength in the
              > ambiguity as well.....

              Not in Russian. That's all I can say.

              Predslava
            • Patricia Hefner
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 7, 1999
                > In a message dated 11/5/1999 7:52:27 PM Central Standard Time,
                > timbo@... writes:
                >
                > > How about Domostvo then. Not quite either but a strength in the
                > > ambiguity as well.....
                >
                > Not in Russian. That's all I can say.
                >
                > Predslava

                I think what I'll do is see if I can get a group together and then figure
                out a name....we could end up using a Polish name for all I know!! :-)
              • MHoll@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 7, 1999
                  In a message dated 11/7/1999 12:06:12 PM Central Standard Time,
                  patricia.hefner@... writes:

                  > we could end up using a Polish name for all I know!! :-)

                  Why not! Variety is the spice of life...

                  (yeah, yeah, been doing proverbs again... hazards of the profession)

                  Predslava
                • Marilyn Kinyon
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 23, 2010
                    I am in need of someone to translate a scroll text into church Slavonic if
                    possible? and also someone who could translate one into the style the Greek
                    Orthodox church would have used. If these are not an option I will make
                    another language decision...

                    Feel free to contact me off list at
                    mamalynxx(at)gmail.com
                    replace (at) with @

                    Thank You, THL Marija Kotok

                    --
                    "A man does not have to be an angel in order to be saint." *Albert
                    Schweitzer<http://feedproxy.google.com/%7Er/brainyquote/QUOTEBR/%7E3/iyyDshjR9cA/albert_schweitzer.html>