Greetings

  • D & L Potucek
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 10, 2004
      Good morning,

      I have just very recently joined this board and am looking forward to learning and sharing information with you. My name is Langry and my lady goes by Magdalena. Langry right now is in limbo as it was not approved by Laurels, though I was given a holding name of Darin of Rudivale with my device being approved. We reside in the Principality of Northshield, Kingdom of Midrealm in a no mans land 2 hours northeast of Rudivale and 2 hours southeast of Castel Rouge. The only people playing in my town in the SCA are my lady and I.

      We were doing a late 11th early 12th century French persona but due to my name being bounced we have been given a chance to go more towards our roots in Poland and Bohemia with our names. My real last name is Potucek and my great, great grandfather came from Rokycany, Bohemia in 1886. Magdalena's real last name is Szklarski and her grandfather came over from Poznan, Poland in the early 1900's (I am not sure of the date). Thus we have strong ties to the Poland and Bohemia. We are interested in 10th to 12th century Poland and Bohemia and have just lately decided that is for sure where we want our persona's to come from. So we are looking at all aspects of these two states we can find. Everything from names to armour and everything in between.

      My lady enjoys embroidery and making garb. I enjoy heavy fighting, bardic, beadwork, leatherwork, bone carving, and smith work and have an AoA.

      Thank you for letting us join your group.

      YIS,

      Langry aka Darin of Rudivale
      "Sable, on a bend sinister between two ram's heads cabossed argent, three crosses crosslet fitchy palewise gules."

    • Becky Harveland
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 23, 2004
        Hello to everyone,

        Let me introduce myself. I am a Memer of the Shire of Rudivale in the
        newest kingdom (Northshield) in the SCA--mundanely Grand Forks, ND. My
        mundane name is Becky but in the Society, I go by Natal'ia. I have been
        active in the Society for about 4 years but have finally decided on a place,
        time period and name. I am interested in garb-making, cooking, embroidery,
        spinning, weaving and anything to do with fibers as well as learing about
        the Russian history. My persona is from the mid- to late- period from the
        vicinity of Moscow. She is an upper class lady who is fortunate enough to
        be able to travel.

        I am currently in need of some assistance, so please forgive me if I sound
        too much like a newbie. I would like to be able to use the name Natal'ia
        Illyana Petrovna. I have looked at Paul's dictionary, and if I read it
        correctly, I can use that name. So, if indeed I can use that name, how
        would I list it on my submission form and with what documentation? Also,
        any feedback on that name would be of great use as well.

        My other quest for assistance falls under the garb category. I would like
        to make my first set of period clothing for myself to wear at a 12th Night
        celebration in January. Where could I go to find the patterns, examples,
        etc. that will get me pointed in the right direction? (Basically, where do
        I start?) Any help would be wonderful and much appreciated.

        Natal'ia

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 24, 2004
          have you tried the SCA -Garb list?

          Soffya

          [Clip your posts -- Moderator]
        • D and L Potucek
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 28, 2004
            Hey Natal'ia,

            Welcome to SIG!

            I am by no means an expert on submitting names but what I did when I found documentation for my name on-line I cut and pasted that entire article into word and submitted it with my documentation parts bold highlighted. The article was specifically for name documentation and I am sure Paul's is also. Berwyn can also be a good help for submissions. I know you have probably checked them out but the Knowledge pages on the SIG homepage are a good start http://www.slavic.freeservers.com/knowledge.html for clothing and places to find stuff.

            Good hunting.

            YIS,

            Václav (Langry)

          • llyonet
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 18 3:56 PM
              Hello,

              I am new and in the SCA.
              I love garb from different countries and time-frames.
              I am currently attempting to learn more about late 1500's
              (slavic/polish) gowns.
              I just found this and am captivated.
              Is this dress after polish style?
              http://www.tudor-portraits.com/Elizabeth27.jpg
              It seems to mimic but I am unsure.

              Thanks for taking time to read this and for any input you may have.

              Lyonet (time wanderer?)
            • Lynda Fjellman

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 20 6:35 AM
                  Greetings and Witam. I am Magdalena Gdanska. The picture you posted of
                  Elizabeth I is sometimes referred to as a gown in "the Polish style"
                  because of the gold braid closures. This is after Western Europe's
                  exposure to the Polish army in all their regalia.

                  Here are a few sites/items on Polish garb.
                  kismeta.com/diGrasse/PolishHorseArtillery.htm
                  The Spring 2006 Issue of Slovo - Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski's article on
                  Sarmatian Baroque Women's clothing (SLOVO is in the links folder)
                  and my website at matkamagdalena.tripod.com Information on the Polish
                  letnik and a new page on Polish embroidery.

                  Let us know if you have further questions.

                  Magdalena
                • Rick Orli
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 20 9:35 AM
                    Do you mean western style that might be adopted in Poland (or
                    elsewhere east) and then some fashion detail made it back out west?
                    Or maybe a detail is adopted from east to west? I've seen some
                    examples but I don't think this is one. Or much of one anyway.

                    there is very little about this that says 'Eastern'... I assume you
                    are reacting to the detail of the fastening, which resembles
                    passamentrie peltic buttons. Maybe, but seems to far apart to have the
                    same sort of 'look'. However everything else - esp. farthingale-based
                    structure, says 'western'. -Rick

                    --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "llyonet" <llyonet@...> wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > I am new and in the SCA.
                    > I love garb from different countries and time-frames.
                    > I am currently attempting to learn more about late 1500's
                    > (slavic/polish) gowns.
                    > I just found this and am captivated.
                    > Is this dress after polish style?
                    > http://www.tudor-portraits.com/Elizabeth27.jpg
                    > It seems to mimic but I am unsure.
                    >
                    > Thanks for taking time to read this and for any input you may have.
                    >
                    > Lyonet (time wanderer?)

                  • Lynda Fjellman
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 20 11:37 AM
                      No not really. This is an example of Westerners taking eastern ideas
                      and incorporating them into what they thought clothing should look like.
                      This was at a time of significant cross fertilization of clothing
                      details and there are a couple of portraits of Elizabeth wearing
                      "eastern" clothing. The fact that the whole ensemble says "western" to
                      us doesn't mean anything. Elizabeth and her followers thought it looked
                      very Polish.
                      If you want to get an idea of this same sort of thing, go to any SCA
                      event and ask the fur bunny where she got her clothing ideas.
                      Ilaria

                      Do you mean western style that might be adopted in Poland (or
                      elsewhere east) and then some fashion detail made it back out west?
                      Or maybe a detail is adopted from east to west? I've seen some
                      examples but I don't think this is one. Or much of one anyway.

                      there is very little about this that says 'Eastern'... I assume you
                      are reacting to the detail of the fastening, which resembles
                      passamentrie peltic buttons. Maybe, but seems to far apart to have the
                      same sort of 'look'. However everything else - esp. farthingale-based
                      structure, says 'western'. -Rick

                      > Is this dress after polish style?
                      > http://www.tudor-portraits.com/Elizabeth27.jpg
                      > It seems to mimic but I am unsure.
                    • Lyonet
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 20 4:38 PM
                        Magdalena,

                        Thank you for your reply.
                        I will be reading all of the sites you sent me shortly.
                        I find myself 'haunted' by this gown.

                        Lyonet

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 20 4:53 PM
                          Rick,

                          Thanks for your input.
                          I have to admit that I am a bit of a magpie. There is so much garb to be made, from different times and places. I want a little of all of it, but I would like it to be as accurate as possible. (time and budget limitations)
                          I am 'haunted' by this gown that I happened to see on the tudor website as I was doing some research for my lord's doublet. I am thinking it is 'after or resembling' the style of the polish military of the time.
                          Queen Elizabeth seemed to like to have clothing of different lands. Now I am feeling the urge to reseach it a bit and gotta make it. Then I think I would like to make a letnik.

                          Lyonet
                          Do you mean western style that might be adopted in Poland (or
                          elsewhere east) and then some fashion detail made it back out west?
                          Or maybe a detail is adopted from east to west? I've seen some
                          examples but I don't think this is one. Or much of one anyway.

                          there is very little about this that says 'Eastern'... I assume you
                          are reacting to the detail of the fastening, which resembles
                          passamentrie peltic buttons. Maybe, but seems to far apart to have the
                          same sort of 'look'. However everything else - esp. farthingale-based
                          structure, says 'western'. -Rick

                          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "llyonet" <llyonet@...> wrote:

                          > Hello,
                          >
                          > I am new and in the SCA.
                          > I love garb from different countries and time-frames.
                          > I am currently attempting to learn more about late 1500's
                          > (slavic/polish) gowns.
                          > I just found this and am captivated.
                          > Is this dress after polish style?
                          > http://www.tudor-portraits.com/Elizabeth27.jpg
                          > It seems to mimic but I am unsure.
                          >
                          > Thanks for taking time to read this and for any input you may have.
                          >
                          > Lyonet (time wanderer?)

                        • magdalenag56
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 20 6:03 PM
                            You are welcome Lyonet. Polish women's garb is hard to define for
                            several reasons. One reason was the different "regions" of Poland
                            seemed to develop their own styles. It may help in your research is
                            you were to pick an area of Poland. If your persona is part of the
                            merchant class or a local burgher family, you would have more exposure
                            to Western styles.

                            Also, several of the queens were orginally from Western European
                            countries and when they came to Poland they brought their fashions as
                            well.

                            Rik, as far as your questions, I see more of Poland adopting Western
                            styles than Western Europe adopting Polish styles. The one fashion
                            item that did seem to be adopted by Westerners was the Polish Kontusz.

                            Magdalena Gdanska
                          • Krista
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 25 7:43 PM
                              I wanted to introduce myself to the group. My name is Krista (but I'm
                              starting to use a Society name- Galina) and I've been playing for
                              almost a year. As I've been getting more settled in the SCA, my
                              interest has started to gravitate towards Slavic Europe and Central
                              Asia. Right now I'm looking at making some 13th-14th century Polish
                              garb (after the Racinet, fig. 2.3 A young noblewoman- the yellow with
                              green sleeves), so if anyone has any suggestions for additional sources
                              for this type of clothing, I would love to hear about it.

                              Another reason that I wanted to join this group was to learn more about
                              Slavic history. I'm hoping to attend a field school in either Poland or
                              the Czech Republic next summer, but I know very little about either of
                              these areas in general. So, any further sources (ie: books, websites)
                              that anyone would recommend on either of these areas during the Middle
                              Ages would also be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
                            • magdalenag56
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 26 4:03 AM
                                Witam Galina. I can share my favorite sites as far as researching
                                Polish women's garb starting with:

                                http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/PolishHorseArtillery.htm

                                This is a grat site to explore in general and was the first really
                                helpful site for me. Racinet has the general idea of what was worn
                                but on this site go into the costume link and take a look at the
                                Matejko pictures. Jan Matejko was a Polish historian and painter and
                                highly respected in Poland.

                                Check out the spring 06 issue of Slovo. Pan Zygmunt, another wealth
                                of knowledge on Polish garb has a article on Sarmatian Baroque
                                fashions.

                                Lastly I have done a little research myself on a Polish gown called
                                the letnik. matkamagdalena.tripod.com. I will, over the next
                                several months, be adding more samples of my work as I complete the
                                outfits.

                                This should get your started.

                                Magdalena Gdanska
                              • Rod Giffin
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 10, 2007
                                  Greetings,

                                  I thought I'd introduce myself before I butt in on a conversation or
                                  two. I'm new to the list, but not the SCA. Formerly I had developed an
                                  interest and persona from the Frankish Kingdom/Duchy of Lotharingia,
                                  because I was mundanely born in Montmedy. I still have arguments with
                                  book Heralds about Lotharingia (Usually it has a theme something like
                                  "No, Montmedy and Verdun are *NOT* examples of medieval French
                                  culture.") The past few years though, I've been developing an interest
                                  in Novgorod and Tver, and to a lesser extend Kiev and Moscow.

                                  Mundanely I live in Eastern Ontario, the Barony of Skraeling Althing in
                                  Ealdormere, but I work wherever my job takes me. Currently that's
                                  Bridgewater New Jersey where my office is, or Warwick Rhode Island
                                  (Barony of the Bridge), and Fremont California (Principality of the
                                  Mists). I don't know if any other's from Ealdormere are active here.

                                  I also had the pleasure of working in Russia for 6 months, and spent a
                                  good deal of time examining artifacts in Museums. I lived in North
                                  Eastern Moscow, on ulitsa Smolnaya, close to Rechnoy Vokzal. I speak
                                  enough Russian to get by in a restaurant, store or hotel or to deal with
                                  the Militsa on occasion ... but not enough to know how to swear at
                                  drivers. I can read a bit more than I speak also, something that makes
                                  reading documents in Russian a bit easier.

                                  I've returned on vacation a few times, to visit friends in St.
                                  Peterbourg, Mosow and Ufa. On my last trip there late last fall, a
                                  Russian/Bashkir woman I met in a shop on Arbatskaya a few years ago
                                  presented me with a beautiful cloak made of blue velvet, and embroidered
                                  and couched with gold and white thread. She made it after a painting
                                  purportedly from the mid 14th century. It's quite a bit Tartar
                                  looking, but it's a beautiful garment. She says that if I return,
                                  she'll make me a "real hat and boots" to match it (felt and fur). I've
                                  warn the cloak to a few events, but it's somewhat difficult to maintain
                                  so that doesn't happen often.

                                  I'm now developing a persona to match the garb, which has been an
                                  interesting journey. I want to thank some of the members of this group
                                  though, some of your research has been masterful.

                                  In Russia itself, artifacts from the early period are difficult to find,
                                  because many of the collections have been plundered, burned or otherwise
                                  destroyed in various conflagrations. Sad really. But I have seen the
                                  standard tourist type museums, Tretyakov Gallery, the Kremlin and it's
                                  armoury museum, the Balshoy and Maly, I also spent considerable time in
                                  the Museum of History of Moscow examining artifacts and old documents.
                                  I spent so much time in the early period section they invited me to the
                                  storage and restoration facility. It's interesting. I've seen how real
                                  braes might have been made, although there is probably more than one
                                  way. A 14th century boot heel made with laminated leather presumably
                                  nailed to a boot that was dug up by a gardener near the Kremlin wall,
                                  and the remains of a suit of lamellar and male armour that was found in
                                  the 30's while excavating a building foundation. Not much of it
                                  survived. The interesting thing is that the coif had been repaired at
                                  some time using butted male. The rust was as bad on the butted male as
                                  it was on the rivited ones, so it is likely to have been done a long
                                  time ago. One could almost imagine a hasty repair between sorties.

                                  Anyway, that's about it. If you've read this far, thank you!!!

                                  Orderic.
                                • petite_moitan
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 10, 2007
                                    Ack, I never formally introduced myself.

                                    Hi, all. My name is Christine Mc Carver. I live in Elf Sea of
                                    Ansteorra. My persona that I'm building is a Moravian of mid 14th
                                    century. I'm interested in, oh bunches of stuff. Here's some things I
                                    think are more point-edly SCA oriented.
                                    Calligraphy, eastern and western. Learning illumination, though much
                                    more difficult than water color.
                                    Sewing - garb making. Designing patterns based off of drawings and
                                    making them universal. (In real life, I am a seamstress for hire.
                                    Hence the business name Mercenary Seamstress as well as an
                                    architectural engineering student.)
                                    Mask making - paper mache masks of all sorts - Noh, masquerade,
                                    comedie de l'arte (I can never spell that correctly yet I studied
                                    French for five years.) I hurl them against the wall to test durability.
                                    Languages - French, Czech, Latin, Japanese, Gaelic, Mexican (necessity)
                                    Paper mache lacquered furniture.
                                    Beading - jewelery, head ornaments, garments
                                    Cobbling - leather, canvas, began with 3/4 point shoes, then made own
                                    lasts for period shoes.
                                    Corsetry - with or without busks, stays, bodices
                                    site assembly and cooking. Not much of a bard - too chicken.
                                    Researching hard to find things. CAMPING And ethnic studies. and
                                    Gothic architecture. . *sighs at the intricate loveliness*
                                    Book binding and paper making.

                                    All of which started before the SCA. Oddly enough.

                                    I learned about the SCA last winter through a bunch of Vampire
                                    LARPers, paid my dues mid-may before my first event; which I didn't
                                    need to make any garb for had I not wanted to be more "ethnically"
                                    appropriate. Even had my own tent and camp stove from my hiking days.

                                    So, I'm a newbie. I have been taken in by a group known as the
                                    Miscreants, though I've yet to "officially" join them. I am currently
                                    finishing my coat and head dress whilst working on my background info.

                                    Be posting again,
                                    Christine
                                  • vladdrgo
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 22, 2008
                                      I've been a major lurker on SIG for awhile now. I am attempting to
                                      portray a mid 12thC Moldavian. I have had help from some folks in
                                      Romania via pics and descriptions of various things and am now trying
                                      to recreate shoes.
                                      It was requested of me to post some pictures of my wife's work. She
                                      and some of her friends entered a Seamstress competition and ranked
                                      pretty high. I have a few posted unders Vladislavs Pics in the
                                      groups pic files and am waiting for the final 5 to be posted as of
                                      22/3/2008. I know she was interested in making this Kiev outfit for
                                      awhile, but after Slavic U she had a surge of feelings towards
                                      getting it done. She usually does Irish Celt, but we figure a few
                                      months of Slavic will warm her up. hahaha

                                      I also put up a pic I'd received a decade ago depicting a Romanian
                                      outfit. I took a pic of our last Slavic U token I punched and burned
                                      and posted that too.

                                      In Service,
                                      Vladislav Dragomir
                                      man-at-arms to Baron Sir Garth of the Craigs, Andelcrag
                                      House Dragon's Scythe
                                      Middle Kingdom