Re: [sig] pysanky and kistky

  • A Irinevna
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 9, 2004
      Hello,

      I am a Newbie, and have only posted to the board once, in my quest for a name (which was a no-go, unfortunately), but I have been lurking for months and months (which does sound rather unsavoury, doesn't it?).

      This is a subject near and dear to my heart, and I am so thrilled to see someone interested in pysanky. I do it - badly, but happily. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no period info about it for you.

      I am in An Tir (Lionsgate).

      Amalie (mundane name - still looking for a persona)

    • susannah53
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 9, 2004
        Thank you all so much! I hoped I would hit "paydirt" here! Actually
        you all probably have more definitive documentation than I do; when I
        write articles for my pysanky newsletter, they are often "fast and
        dirty" in that I don't do months of research, plus being in a rural
        area I don't have access to experts, and must rely mostly on library
        research. I suppose that I should try to find at least three sources
        that verify a story before I accept it, but....Anyway, I think that
        Sophie Knab's Polish Traditions, Customs and Folklore was my source,
        or it may have been Deborah Silverman's Polish-American Folklore.
        Actually, the date was a bit earlier than the 1400s, to wit: "one of
        the first definite written references to Polish pisanki recounts a
        miracle attributed to St. Hedwig (c. 1165-1243), the patroness of
        Silesia, who was canonized in 1267. The story was recorded by the
        wife of Silesian King Henryk Brodaty (1165-1238), who ruled from 1232-
        1238. According to the tale, an 8-year-old boy who was unable to
        walk was brought by his mother to St. Hedwig's grave. As the mother
        prayed to St. Hedwig to heal him, the boy stood up, picked up a
        pisanka that lay on the ground, and walked around the saint's
        grave." This is from my article, but it's mainly a paraphrase of the
        source. I do remember that I looked up everyone's dates, and
        wondered when King Henryk's wife (or widow I probably should say)
        recorded this account, and whether St. Hedwig had actually been
        declared a saint yet when the event supposedly happened.

        Susannah
      • Susan Koziel
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 11, 2004
          Amalie,
          Greetings. It's great to hear that I'm not the only
          person in AnTir who's passionate about eggs.
          :)
          If you ever want a hand in methods to make them - I've
          been doing them for years, & have routinely made them
          as gifts for the royalty that have spent the time to
          travel to Avacal.
          Saddly I have had less & less time to spend on them,
          since my mundane life has kept me really busy
          recently.
          -Kataryna

          --- A Irinevna <dunlopduo@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I am a Newbie, and have only posted to the board
          > once, in my quest for a name (which was a no-go,
          > unfortunately), but I have been lurking for months
          > and months (which does sound rather unsavoury,
          > doesn't it?).
          >
          > This is a subject near and dear to my heart, and I
          > am so thrilled to see someone interested in pysanky.
          > I do it - badly, but happily. Unfortunately, I
          > have absolutely no period info about it for you.
          >
          > I am in An Tir (Lionsgate).
          >
          > Amalie (mundane name - still looking for a
          > persona)

          > removed]

        • Susan Koziel
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 11, 2004
            Okay I finally updated my site with a small bit of the
            Pysanki information I've collected over the years.
            Hope it helps point some people in the right
            directions.
            http://www.geocities.com/kataryna_dragonweaver/SCA/KPysanki.html
            -Kataryna
          • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 12, 2004
              > Okay I finally updated my site with a small bit of the
              > Pysanki information I've collected over the years.
              > Hope it helps point some people in the right
              > directions.
              > http://www.geocities.com/kataryna_dragonweaver/SCA/KPysanki.html
              > -Kataryna

              FYI, while it doesn't help with the kistky question, my dyes site might be
              of interest:
              http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/SCA/eggs/eggdyes.html

              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens
              can change the world; indeed it's the only thing that ever has..."
              -- Margaret Mead