Polish mythology - Wikipedia

  • Jeanne
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 19, 2003
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_mythology

      Soffya
      Haus Gebrochen
      three fleur-de-lys Or
    • star
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2004
        Jeanne,
        Thanks for the website... lots of interesting sublinks links to visit
        and enjoy! I am learning about the Slavs that occupied Europe in the
        middle ages and looking to understand how things were in the days of
        the "Great Slavonic Empire".
        My ancestory is somewhat removed from Slavic blood as we are mixed
        with Irish, Scotch, Dutch, and German. My family named derived
        from "Diltz"[Dilts] and hailed from Westerwald area of Germany in the
        18th century [hills east of Koblenz and Cologne]. I found the
        noun "dilitz" [tilitz] in Grimm's middle German Language
        encyclopedias which was a small sword once carried from Slavic
        Germans [anciently related to Polish folk]. While looking at place
        names on ancient maps of Prussia [Germany] there was a notation that
        words ending in "litz" and "itz" indicated Slavic influence. Being a
        native San Franciscan, I can relate this to how Europeans on this
        west coast kept the place names given by the indiginous Americans
        though sometimes anglocised.
        Anyway, besides knowing that these Slavs of Germany eventually mixed
        with German invaders who were little people somewhat dispised and
        attacked throughout history, my knowledge is limited.
        When visiting the villages where my ancestors dwelled, I noticed that
        the villages used coat of arms with messers, the sword-handled blade
        I mentioned. I also have seen statues to the "little people" in my
        Euro-travels. The subject of early slavs of Germany is interesting to
        me though I can't seem to find much about it on the internet.
        I would like to see pictures of how they dressed and other cultural
        aspects if anyone can enlighten me. Meanwhile, I will read from the
        links that you passed on as I love folktales and mythology.
        Btw, I enjoyed reading characters of perspective SIG members beside
        the pictures and outfits. [ my pic on http://hempprints.com/artist ]
        Cheers, Star

        , "Jeanne" <jeanne@a...> wrote:

        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_mythology
        >
        > Soffya
        > Haus Gebrochen
        > Argent, a patriarchal cross between three crescent gules on a chief
        sable
        > three fleur-de-lys Or
      • Jeanne
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2004
          Jeanne,
          Thanks for the website... lots of interesting sublinks links to visit
          and enjoy! I am learning about the Slavs that occupied Europe in the
          middle ages and looking to understand how things were in the days of
          the "Great Slavonic Empire".

          You can also ADD information to that site!!

          Soffya
          three fleur-de-lys Or
          Haus Gebrochen
          Order of St. Roche
          Incipient Canton of Sudentur
          Barony of Stierbach
          Kingdom of Atlantia

        • star
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 9, 2004
            I just joined this and Pat's Slav group and have more questions than
            answers since I haven't reseached Slavic history... [the Arms and
            Armors of Crusading Era sounds interesting]. I would be glad to pass
            on websites that may be of interest when found though my computer
            time is very limited [and slow]. Your tone seems insistant but will
            take it as your welcoming me to join in. *

            <jeanne@a...> wrote: >>>> You can also ADD information to that site!!

            > Soffya
          • Jeanne
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 10, 2004
              Your tone seems insistant but will take it as your welcoming me to join in.
              *

              not insistent, excited. why? the site promotes help in research. that's
              what's so neat about the site;
              Anything you can add would be wonderful.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 12, 2004
                Soffya,
                Thanks for your enthusiasm and clarification... makes me smile to
                know that there are others who care about preserving the Slavic
                culture and history. I am fascinated.
                Currently I am in Tx, working on art projects and organizing digital
                family albums on http://webshots.com, besides a renovation project
                before heading back to the westcoast next month.
                As I may have mentioned, I got interested in Slavic culture while
                doing geneological research and discovering that my family is named
                after a sword known in the middle ages as recorded by the brothers
                Grimm in their middle German encyclopedia set. I learned in further
                study that the ending "litz" was associated with the Slavs who were
                present when Germanic peoples were migrating into what is now
                Germany [can send old maps when I am back with my files]. I had
                already traced my father line to ancestors in Westerwald region in
                the 17th century though had been told by a German history professor
                that the name was not German. I have also visited that region.
                I love the study of ancient history in Europe but trying to get the
                big picture of the "Great Slavonic Nation" as it was once known,
                seems more challenging. When I have time to do searches, I send
                myself an email with sites to read at my leisure. Am not sure what I
                will learn this week but here is what I will be looking at. I have
                been enjoying the great links and insights that people post here.
                Besides history, I love seeing the regalia, art, mythology, and
                poetry of Slavic culture. Best wishes, David*

                http://www.xenophongi.org/milhist/medieval/charenc.htm
                http://www.members.aol.com/hpsofsnert/slavrit.html
                http://www.winterscapes.com/slavic.htm
                http://www.mythinglinks.org/euro~east~panSlavic.html